yogis: what pose(s) do you struggle with the most and do you have goals for working toward them?

Replies

• fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    I'm just getting back to being a regular - I've always had tight hamstrings and lower back - so seated forward fold I don't really fold at all, I'm very rounded. Laying down I can't lift my legs straight up - when everyone else is at 90 degrees I'm at 45.

I'm also struggling with lightheadedness! Reverse warrior I almost pass out and have to break the pose by lowering my arms and straightening my front leg.
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    I practice Bikram Yoga....been doing it for 10 months now....most of my forms are not correct, but they keep getting better.
    https://www.bikramyoga.com/26-postures/

I struggle with all of the balancing poses, but I keep trying.
    Can't do toe stand (yet)
    Can't do locust pose (my legs go about 1/2 inch off ground)
    Fixed firm hurts my knee (but I am almost able to get my tush on the ground....this pose is getting better)
    Rabbit - I can curl up, but I can't get my legs and knees at a 90 degree angle (yet)

I am surprised at how much I love Bikram yoga.....I have never liked yoga. But....now I am older and my flexibility is pathetic, so I need to do this. My mental clarity afterwards is what makes me keep going back.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Anything involving more than a minimum of ankle, hip or hamstring flexibility. So, a lot.
  • Pandora2011
    Pandora2011 Posts: 1 Member
    As simple as it sounds I can't do downward dog. Such tight hamstrings. It always makes me sigh when our teacher calls it a rest pose. For me, it's more like holding in plank.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    The wheel and the crow.

Downward dog I cannot do without a wide stance without my feet flat. Ugh.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    The wheel and the crow.

Downward dog I cannot do without a wide stance without my feet flat. Ugh.
    Glad I'm not the only one who struggles with Wheel!
  • fostersu
    edited September 2016
    Here's to all the crow strugglers...
    Never have done a successful crow- maybe my toes cleft the mat for 1.5 seconds. Have not attempted it for a long time so didn't even think of it
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Child's Pose! Seriously. The easiest of poses and I absolutely cannot do it, my butt does not get even remotely close to seated. My quads are insanely tight! Some people want to run a marathon, I just want to do child's pose.

I do, however, have super flex-y hamstrings and love doing downward facing dog and forward bends of all kinds. I'm definitely working on correcting this imbalance, but it feels like I never make any progress! And worse, my practice is on hold because of both a knee and shoulder injury...
  • Ninjaeema
    Ninjaeema Posts: 21 Member
    This thread is really encouraging. It helps to hear that other people are struggling with things I can do, and yet are able to do things I can't. It just shows how different all of our bodies are, and that success isn't measured by just one pose.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    kapha_cowsFace2.jpg
    This one. I never can stack my knees quite right, probably because I have short legs.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Being in my 50's, a relative newbie and non-daily yogi, there are many I have never tried but would desire to accomplish, including wheel and crow. In my dreams (where I'm 25 again) I'd be able to do a headstand and any version of scorpion.

I recently conquered the high crescent lunge and plow, but cannot do them every practice. It depends on frequency and how flexible I'm feeling at the moment. I did try the crow today in my hot tub. I figure if I can get the position down in the water I might be able to do it on dry land someday. LOL B) For now, I'm just happy as can be to do most of the basic poses and hold the tree pose for several minutes at a time.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I've been focusing on downward dog lately, working with my instructor on my form. Holding triangle or warrior 2 results in a burning near my back ankle - not quite my calf, rather the five inches above my ankle bone. Perhaps my stance is too wide?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It is a fun read! Thank you for starting this OP @Sabine_Stroehm
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Halasana - plow pose. Have struggled with this for YEARS. Don't know if it's my (fairly ample) boobs, my extremely large rib cage, or the slight feeling of claustrophobia....but it's a challenge. Ironically - it's supposed to be a resting pose, but I swear it gives me agita...

I enjoyed reading the posts in this thread - don't see a lot about yoga on MFP. Found it interesting how people struggle with yoga in different ways...it was the challenge of yoga and the fact that it can really never be "mastered" that drew me to it in the first place.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    129.jpg
    Been trying to work on upper body strength
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I practice Bikram Yoga....been doing it for 10 months now....most of my forms are not correct, but they keep getting better.
    https://www.bikramyoga.com/26-postures/

I struggle with all of the balancing poses, but I keep trying.
    Can't do toe stand (yet)
    Can't do locust pose (my legs go about 1/2 inch off ground)
    Fixed firm hurts my knee (but I am almost able to get my tush on the ground....this pose is getting better)
    Rabbit - I can curl up, but I can't get my legs and knees at a 90 degree angle (yet)

I am surprised at how much I love Bikram yoga.....I have never liked yoga. But....now I am older and my flexibility is pathetic, so I need to do this. My mental clarity afterwards is what makes me keep going back.

I only like bikram. I never liked any other forms too!
  • fostersu
    May I also ask....what's your strongest pose? One that you just naturally melt into? I was in a class once and a guy who struggled in many poses suddenly did a perfect gomukhasana (seated with knees completely crosses in front- pictured in above post) and everyone was so impressed (very small intimate class) and he said that it just came naturally to him.

While again, for me front folding and hamstring flexibility is my bane...side bends are my heaven. I can just melt deep into standing side bends and triangle is my all time favorite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    My favorite "melt into it" pose is probably pigeon. I get kinda giddy when I know it's coming.
    Humble warrior comes very easily to me, though I know some really struggle with it.
    And anything that is more "core" focused I excel at, usually.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Natural feeling poses?

gomukhasana I was not even sure I was doing it right, I don't feel anything. My legs do that naturally.

butterfly, the seated pose with knees bent and feet together, probably because of years of ballet my knees go to the ground.

And Triangle has always felt really good. Whatever that stretches, it feels nice, it feels strong, it's easy to look up, hand goes to the ground no problem, teachers always say "beautiful" but it came easy.