Anyone else in agriculture?

I work at a small, organic market garden-type operation. We grow tons of things including like 20 types of heirloom tomatoes and any kind of summer or winter squash you can think of! I'm newer to farming but I love it.

I'm curious about what other people do in the agriculture industry! Feel free to add me too! :)

Replies

• MatthewG1973
    MatthewG1973 Posts: 69 Member
    Yes... I work in the dIry industry. I work with dairy farmers and help them produce high quality milk.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    I've always desired to vacation on a work farm, since I am unable to work on 1. At least if you pay to be there, rather than be paid to be there; it doesn't matter how much work you'll be unable to accomplish lol!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Well, I have been known to eat a corn tortilla or two; does that count?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I worked in ag with the government as an administrator. When BSE was a huge thing we ran a lot of programs to help producers with things like traceability, etc.
  • Are you in the NY, CT area? If yes, I may become a customer.

I'm in Ontario actually!
  • 5 ranches & 2 Packing houses in the 80's
    2 Ranches with wine, table, & raisin grapes.
    1 Ranch Almonds
    1 Ranch Apricots
    1 Ranch Plums and Nectarines.
    And two seasons I inspected raisin grapes for the USDA. Incoming and outgoing procedures.

Question for you....
    How did the tomatos produce this year?
    Was it a good size crop per plant?
    My tomato plant sucked. I got like 6 off of it.
    Tons of flowers, but hardly any tomatos.
    I usually do well with a grape tomato plant.
    But this year, I forget the variety, but it was the bigger tomato I tried. Hardly any on our plant. I still have tons of japanese eggplants coming along. Yummy!

Tomatoes were tough this year! Usually we get a lot more than we're getting so far, but the plants are definitely producing lots of fruit! We had to really help them along earlier in the season with lots of nutrients, semi-regular watering (rain water), and straw bedding to keep in what little moisture we got! Such a tough year for a lot of plants, but it's awesome to still see things thriving despite dry and hot conditions!