What a difference a year makes - 48 lbs lost

DebBahr
DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
A year ago today I decided to change my lifestyle. I looked around at older people I knew and so many of them were in such bad shape physically because of preventable health problems. After 18 years of being overweight/obese I decided that it was time to make a change. I was tired of the way I looked and the way I felt.

Here are my stats.

SW - 208 lbs (highest weight was 220)
CW - 160
GW - 155
Age - 50 years old
Height - 5' 9.5"

I joined the YMCA and I've been going 5 days a week. I get up at 5:15 am and workout for an 1 hour 45 minutes before I go to work. At first it was very hard. Now I actually enjoy working out. I don't just enjoy how it makes me feel and look but I like going to the gym. This is coming from someone who never played sports, never exercised much in my life.

I started logging all of my food on MFP. This was key for me. It kept me honest. I usually ate back about half of my exercise calories. I cut way back on unhealthy carbs and sugar. I also avoid artificial sweeteners. I do cook differently for myself than for my family. One of my boys is a runner and eats a lot of pasta. I rarely eat pasta so I'll just have the sauce with roasted veggies or something like a salad with grilled chicken. If I want a treat I have it but I'll have a scoop of ice cream once or twice a week not a bowlful 5 days a week. Portion size is very important. Also, I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. I logged my food till I met my goal weight in June (took me 9 months and I've been maintaining for the last 3 months. I'm going to start logging again because I want to lose another 5 lbs.

I have tried many times to lose weight. I had limited temporary success. Here are the reasons I believe I was able to stick with it this time.
  • Joined a gym - I realize not everyone can do this but for me it's changed my life
  • Logged all of my food
  • Told people I was trying to lose weight - I started posting on MFP and I told people in real life
  • I finally decided I was worth it - you've got to believe in yourself

a34wl098s224.jpg

Replies

• jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    Wonderful job!!!! Congratulations!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Great job keep up the good work
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Fantastic work!!
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Wow,nicely done!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Fabulous work and result!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Awesome!!
  • momwantsbodyback
    momwantsbodyback Posts: 83 Member
    DebBahr wrote: »
    I joined the YMCA and I've been going 5 days a week. I get up at 5:15 am and workout for an 1 hour 45 minutes before I go to work.

OMG. That is some serious dedication. Incredibly hard and you managed to push through until you liked doing it. Wow! Double wow! Great job!!

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    DebBahr wrote: »
    • I finally decided I was worth it - you've got to believe in yourself
    I love this. You are amazing! Congrats on your success! :)
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Wow! Congratulations!
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Most excellent!
  • cjuneau69
    cjuneau69 Posts: 20 Member
    Inspiring!!! Thank you for sharing!!
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Great job! Congratulations
  • jarbatz
    jarbatz Posts: 29 Member
    Wowee!! What do you do at the gym for 1 hour and 45 minutes!? That is amazing and you look amazing!
  • DebBahr
    jarbatz wrote: »
    Wowee!! What do you do at the gym for 1 hour and 45 minutes!? That is amazing and you look amazing!

Here is my basic routine.
    • 10 minutes cardio warm-up - usually elliptical
    • 45 minutes minute strength/weight machines - I alternate days. One day I do legs and core. Next day I do arms and back. Typically I do 8-9 machines total.
    • 30 minutes cardio - usually elliptical but a couple times a month I do treadmill
    • 5 minutes cool down
    • 10 minutes stretching

Keep in mind on the weight machines there is time moving between machines, adjusting machines, and resting. Ideally I would be able to move through those machines faster but with the amount of weight I'm trying to do I just can't at this point, maybe eventually. I see guys and younger women get through them much quicker.

And thank you
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    you are doing great!
  • Juliapadg
    Juliapadg Posts: 28 Member
    Very inspiring, and may I say you look hot! Great job!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    What great success! Your work routine is impressive. Those last five pounds will be goners!!
  • zimazoom
    zimazoom Posts: 34 Member
    Congrats on your success! Such an inspiration!
    Keep it up!
  • DebBahr
    Juliapadg wrote: »
    Very inspiring, and may I say you look hot! Great job!

Thanks! :)
  • DebBahr
    zimazoom wrote: »
    Congrats on your success! Such an inspiration!
    Keep it up!

So many times I've read people's success stories and been inspired. I hope that my story can help someone else on their journey. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!