Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    The first week - I lost 6 pounds.
    Second - 1
    Third - 2
    Fourth - Nothing
    Fifth - 2

Weight loss is weird. Just go with it :)
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    On average 1-2 lbs a week, some weeks I don't lose any and then the scales go down a few pounds.

However I am going to the gym 3 times a week lifting weights so I could be losing more and just gaining muscle in replacement.
  • Mumu190672
    Mumu190672 Posts: 76 Member
    I am 44 and 5"7.
    SW 104 kg
    CW 94.5 kg
    GW 65 kg
    I lost at a rate of 1 kg on average since I started logging. I started logging at 100.3 kg.
    I had 2 weeks at exact same weight then I lost 1.5 kg in 3 days.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    With only 10 lbs or so left to lose, I'm losing 1/2 lb a week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    During my first 16 weeks, I lost 15 kg.

I didn't lose at all during the first 10 days, then proceeded to lose 1 kg/week consistently to the 16 week point.

Then I took a 1-month diet-break.

During my second 16 weeks, I lost 11 kg + the 2 kg I put on during my 1-month diet break.

And again, I lost 0.8 kg/week (or whatever that works out to) consistently throughout those 16 weeks.

I've maintained for the 10 months since.

• nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It depends a lot on how much you have to lose & how strict you're willing/able yo be with calorie intake. I've gone from Losing 2/week the first 6 months to losing 1-2/month now as I approach maintenance. 2 year average is 1.24/week.

The problem with questions Luke this is that even though the question asker says they're just curious, I suspect many end up comparing themselves to others and getting down on themselves or adopting unhealthy habits to try and achieve a meaningless number. I hope you don't do that!

I promise not :smile: being only 5'1 and near goal, I'm only allowed the minimum 1200 anyway so I'd have to starve myself to lose anymore! I've got a bit lax with tracking lately and I have the odd 'maintenance' day to stop myself going crazy. I hope no-one else is comparing too much or getting down about it. Your body will do what it does-which is the bit that made me curious. Slow and steady, in my opinion, is much more sustainable.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    It varies each week, some weeks nothing, other times 1 or 2lbs. I seem.to lose about 6lbs a month so I prefer now to think of my loss as monthly.
  • stacey01575
    stacey01575 Posts: 8 Member
    I just finished a 4 week dietbet where I lost 5.6 pounds in 4 weeks (1.4 lbs/week). I am within 10 pounds of my ideal weight, so this is actually higher than I would usually try for - just wanted to lose 5 pounds before an event so I needed some extra motivation. Ideally it's more like 0.5 lbs/week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I eat the calories given to me by MFP, weigh and log my food, exercise, and eat back some (but not all) of my exercise calories, my average weight loss over time matches the weekly weight loss goal I set.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2016
    Ive been tracking and exercising for just under 3 months and I've lost 35 pounds. I did a Nutrisystem jumpstart and lost like 10 pounds in the first two weeks, but I also had a 3 week plateau recently. I think I'm settling into about 1.5 lbs per week or so. I have up and down weeks with an overall downward trend.
    Edit: I lost about 7 pounds between April and MidJune just by getting more active. Then got serious about my eating and tracking in MidJune:
    ra1le1btg33n.png
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I average around 2.5-4 pounds per week. The most I have lost in a month was 28 pounds, but that was when I first started. My overall weekly loss was around 16 pounds a month.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    1-3#/wk. Ave 2#/wk. Lost 40# in 5 months 3 years ago and just lost 24# in the past 3 months. So, it's a very consistent rate of loss for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    0.5 lb per week. It's taken a while, but it finally sank in that if I'm losing faster, I'm probably losing more than fat. Im fairly low bf% and smallish so that's just the way it is. I'm learning patience.
  • nikkons017
    nikkons017 Posts: 6 Member
    You should only be losing 1-2lbs/week max. A weight loss faster than this leads to losing more lean muscle and water/glycogen from your muscles and not actually fat. If you are losing more than 2lbs/week for more then 2-3 weeks (excess water is gone by this point) you need to eat more to slow weight loss down.

Lets say you crash diet and lose 3kg in "weight" over 2-3 weeks. If you are lucky maybe 1kg of that is actual body fat. The rest is water and muscle.

Why is this important? As you continue to lose weight the calories required to maintain weight keep dropping. As you are losing mostly muscle, you are losing the one thing that can increase the amount of calories your body burns. As you keep dropping weight your caloric number keep going lower and lower and then you eventually hit a plateau where your body refuses to lose more weight. Eventually, you are eating very little food and you can't go lower unless you drop into unhealthy caloric levels (like sub 1200/day). Now the more important is because you essentially become skinny fat and although you are "thin" it doesn't look anywhere near as good as somebody with enough muscle to fill out their frame (aka skinny fat person vs fitness model). Also eating too little calories can result in your metabolism slowing down to further conserve more energy.

Take the weight loss slower, your body will thankyou and you'll look better after the process. It just takes a little bit longer. Also you want to maintain what muscle you have and not let it waste away. So it is recommened to take up a proper weight lifting program. Don't do tons of steady state cardio (ie. running on treadmill) as you will burn muscle if you do lots of it. Or at the very least switch to HIIT style sprinting where its intense but short so you can save your muscles.

Work out, build muscle = ability to eat more and still lose weight/body fat and not try to starve yourself.
  • nikkons017
    nikkons017 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2016
    double post