FAQ - Syncing, logging food & exercise, calorie adjustments, activity levels, accuracy

Replies

• adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Im thinking because i set a custom calorie goal, Fitbit wont recognize it, only lets you choose 1 or 2 pounds in the app. So i think its overcompensating me back to maintain
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Im thinking because i set a custom calorie goal, Fitbit wont recognize it, only lets you choose 1 or 2 pounds in the app. So i think its overcompensating me back to maintain

The calculation that MFP does to come up with your Fitbit Adjustment is not affected by your weight loss goal in either program. It is based on the difference between how many calories Fitbit says you've burned and how many calories MFP expected you to burn (based on age, weight, height, gender and chosen activity level). So, setting a custom calorie goal in MFP doesn't change your Fitbit Adjustment.

To see the calculation, go to the Exercise page on the website (or the diary on the mobile app) and click on the little 'i' next to the adjustment (or touch the adjustment in the app).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So here is my dilemma. I weigh 316, MFP gave me 2600 cal to eat, but i set it to 2000 cal per day which is 3 pounds a week or %1 of my body weight. Yesterday i walked 7k steps, walked, no run, no other exercise. It gave me an adjustment of 1393, MFP told me to eat 3393 calories.

WTF, no way that is right, that would put me into gain weight. What is going on here?

2000 eating goal + 1393 MFP sees you burned from Fitbit over it's own sedentary estimate of daily burn = 3393

Fitbit total burn was likely upwards of 4900.

So you still had your 1500 deficit - or 3 lb weekly goal for daily amount.

Yep - sounds about right.

And as long as your stride length and distance for that walking was pretty correct - you got great calorie burn estimate from Fitbit for MFP to do the work with.

So meet your goal.

Have you had any experience with calorie levels prior to starting diet - I mean besides seeing 1200 cal diets as fast weight lot methods?
    Most people have no concept at all of calories burned or eaten - because they have never looked.

If most people could log exactly what they ate for a week without it influencing what they ate, and if the were pretty weight neutral, no gain or loss - they'd now exactly what their maintenance was for that level of activity.
    But most attempt to get more active - so that number goes up actually.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    Mine has stopped syncing
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Mine has too -- both directions as of today. No food to FitBit and no exercise to MFP
  • dyingearth
    dyingearth Posts: 8 Member
    Yes, I tried the un-sync and resync step. Attempt to resync results in Access token request failed. Looks like fitbit and myfitnesspal needs to figure out what's going on.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    dyingearth wrote: »
    Yes, I tried the un-sync and resync step. Attempt to resync results in Access token request failed. Looks like fitbit and myfitnesspal needs to figure out what's going on.

I had no problems whatsoever until today. I also get the same message now when I try to connect the apps.
  • olymp1a wrote: »
    dyingearth wrote: »

I had no problems whatsoever until today. I also get the same message now when I try to connect the apps.

I woke up today and there is no syncing between the apps. uninstalled, reinstalled both apps, and unlinked and relinked them.
  • dyingearth
    I just try reconnect it again on the desktop web browser, and this time it took. Still no sync though.
  • dyingearth
    While the food I put in in MyFitnessPal is sync to Fitbit, MyFitnessPal still haven't see the steps I've taken from Fitbit.
  • MrsJ1210
    MrsJ1210 Posts: 135 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »

it says it's fixed, mine now seems to be getting the information on MFP which is the most important thing as it calculates my calorie allowance, but still isn't showing on fitbit
  • heybales
    Just to mention that the infrequently viewed FAQ in the stickies is not the best place to get comments and ideas for issues. The FAQ is supposed to be on that topic - not troubleshooting.
    You'll find much more support in general topics anyway, if not already finding a topic open on exactly your issue. Which is about always the same.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    can someone clarify if this makes sense please? MFP is set to sedentary. I have a fitbit surge. typically without purposeful exercise, i get around 3500 to 5500 steps in a day. Fitbit is giving me a positive calorie adjustment in MFP of 300 to 550 ish calories. am i truly earning those extra calories with that little bit of walking?

So would it then be safe to assume if i set my activity setting to being more active in MFP, i wouldn't get the same positive adjustment but just have more calories right off the top in MFP and really still just net out the same when all is said and done?

Hope that made sense.

Thanks
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    @Tomk652015 : Yes, that is right. With your MFP activity level set higher, you'll start the day with more calories to eat but get a smaller adjustment and you should end the day with the same total calories to eat.

Whether you're truly earning those calories is a different question, best answered by logging your food carefully for a month and comparing expected weight loss with actual weight lost. For some people the Fitbit overestimates their calorie burn, for some it underestimates. A few lucky people find it is very close to their actual calorie burn.
  • heybales
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    can someone clarify if this makes sense please? MFP is set to sedentary. I have a fitbit surge. typically without purposeful exercise, i get around 3500 to 5500 steps in a day. Fitbit is giving me a positive calorie adjustment in MFP of 300 to 550 ish calories. am i truly earning those extra calories with that little bit of walking?

So would it then be safe to assume if i set my activity setting to being more active in MFP, i wouldn't get the same positive adjustment but just have more calories right off the top in MFP and really still just net out the same when all is said and done?

Hope that made sense.

Thanks

I think the vast majority discover with activity trackers that MFP and other sites level of Sedentary is very truly sedentary - and most exceed it even with a desk job and no kids.
    I get a small adjustment on days of less than 4K steps, my busy sitting all day.

Read the 2nd page of the FAQ though regarding what happens if you set MFP to more realistic activity level to make adjustments smaller, and the end of day effect for when the plop on couch and bedtime kick in.
    Because just as the first hours of the day are obviously not at that level, neither are the final hours of the day.
    But the first hours get corrected as day goes on - final hours hit midnight and reset time.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    My fitbit stopped syncing with MFP on Sunday. I have disconnected and then reconnected the app, but it still doesn't sync.
  • heybales
    My fitbit stopped syncing with MFP on Sunday. I have disconnected and then reconnected the app, but it still doesn't sync.

Check out many of the topics started in the main Fitbit discussion area for seeing many suggestions on this common issue. Likely several already there on exactly your issue.
    Vast majority don't check the FAQ once they've read it - because the topic is on the FAQ.
  • pamperchefcarol
    pamperchefcarol Posts: 1 Member
    I have checked the FAQ, and disconnected and reconnected, uninstalled, and re-installed, etc all to to avail. Any other ideas????
  • heybales
    I have checked the FAQ, and disconnected and reconnected, uninstalled, and re-installed, etc all to to avail. Any other ideas????

Read the post right before yours.