premium subscription

monicaw44
monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
do you think premium subscription is worth getting?

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I'm happy with no ads and the few other perks, plus I use this every single day so to me it's worth it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Nope.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Not at all. I need an accurate database before i pay for a calorie counting site. Ad-blocker takes care of ads for free.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Not at all. I need an accurate database before i pay for a calorie counting site. Ad-blocker takes care of ads for free.
    vingogly wrote: »
    I agree with this. When I search for a product, I'll get dozens of hits -- and the numbers are all over the place. This is due to MFP allowing users to add to the database with no review of the results. Even some of the commercial product entries marked as checked (green arrow) disagree with the product labels and the product numbers on the company websites. I don't know whether people are careless, don't know what they're doing, or deliberately trying to screw up the data but it reduces the utility of the database.

Further, I don't see a way to filter out user-contributed garbage from search results. Yes, you can add foods you've verified to My Foods -- but I expect more if I'm going to pay for a service.

Cosigned. If I first look up a food in https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods I can find the syntax to match it with a MFP system entry, but there should be a better way to separate these from user-created entries. Maybe give those a yellow checkmark.

Also, there's been a glitch in system entries from some time ago that gives some solid foods liquid measurements - fluid ounces instead of regular ounces and no grams - and although I report these to Support, they do not get fixed in a timely manner, and sometimes do not get fixed at all, if my case gets picked up by a Support member to whom I am unable to impress the importance of having solid measurements for solid foods.

The database is the most important feature of MFP to me, and until it's cleaned up, I am not going to pay for the lesser important benefits.

I've been using adblocker for years now.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    For me ATM premium isn't worth it.
  • ebee89
    ebee89 Posts: 2 Member
    No. If you want it to better track your nutrients, get suggestions, etc. check out Cronometer. It's free and with recent upgrades is (aside from the sense of support/community on MFP) better than MFP for nutrition.

If you want the upgrade for the ads, just get an ad-blocker.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    edited September 2016
    Ad blocker

o:) Testing to see if ad-blocker without the hyphen is really censored. Lol.

Edit: nope. Doesn't appear to be.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    zacksnana wrote: »
    Ad blocker

Adblocker .

Yeah, try it without the space. It's censored.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    zacksnana wrote: »
    Ad blocker

Try with no space.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    monicaw44 wrote: »
    do you think premium subscription is worth getting?

Not to me.
  • PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2016
    I think it is. I had to create a new account however as I moved from another country and could not figure out how to change the settings - so it kept charging me in the other currency. I think it's worth it from an intrinsic motivational factor. If I am paying, I am logging, so the $10 a month is worth it. That's just me however.