Slow cooker meals

Hello! Please can you give me your favourite slow cooker meals that are simple? Tomorrow I am doing a chilli but using chicken breast instead. Usually do chillis, casseroles, stews etc but could do with some other ideas! X

Replies

• GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    Someone mentioned this recipe to me and it could not be simpler. He said he takes skinless chicken breasts and a few jars of his favorite salsa and just throws it in a slow cooker for about 6 hours, and voila: salsa chicken!

So I tried it and it's great, and it's perfect for someone like me who hates cooking and is not very good at it - the chicken comes out nice and tender, and of course, if you are more adventurous, I'm sure the possibilities are endless on what you can add to it. But it's also low calorie - very little calories in salsa, and because I'm on a restricted salt diet, I use Newman's Own Salsa, which is low in salt, and it fits my needs perfectly.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    My recipe is really simple, healthy and versatile... you can also use venison instead of chicken if you have it or pork if you wanted to use that as well

It just consists of the "meat", halved/quartered radishes, green onions, canned diced tomatoes w/green chilies, stock (chicken/beef/veggie, depending upon the kind of meat used) and some garlic, chili powder, cumin and black pepper, all to taste. You can pre cook/sauté the meat and add to it or if you are not concerned with really low carb, then you can coat the meat in flour and brown all sides then add to the crock pot so that it will thicken up a little...cook on high or low depending on when you need it finished... basically you want it to cook long enough that it turns the radishes more of like an opaque color, the same color a new potato would turn and just make sure your meat is cooked depending on if you pre cooked it or just seared it all sides. Versatility would come in if you wanted to add some additional vegetables as well... It's just the way I fix it gives my Mexican food craving a total fix!

I have fixed this same recipe with venison, chicken and pork and all of them are wonderful
    And yes, I use radishes instead of new potatoes. Once a radish is boiled, it takes on the flavor of a new potato or whatever you're boiling it in and is much lower in carbs (which I need for my glucose levels). No one that I've ever served it to could tell the difference. Here is a photo for reference:
    y5p4jtng0vuu.jpg
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I love doing salsa and chicken like someone mentioned above. I've done stew meat cooked in a can of soda and that was super goodb

I have made crockpot zucchini lasagna which is quite good!

Really, Pinterest is your friend. There are a ton of recipes!
  • Thank you all for the lovely ideas! Will definitely try them and have a look on Pinterest too! X
  • indigomk
    indigomk Posts: 9 Member
    Hello! Please can you give me your favourite slow cooker meals that are simple? Tomorrow I am doing a chilli but using chicken breast instead. Usually do chillis, casseroles, stews etc but could do with some other ideas! X

I do unstuffed peppers and cabbage rolls. Do as you normally would with them but cut up the peppers/cabbage instead of stuffing. I omit rice and use quinoa for extra protien.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Pork loin roast. (can use turkey, chicken, beef, whatever you like)
    Jar of sliced banana peppers. (I use the hot ones)
    Put the roast in crock pot. Pour the peppers over the roast.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours.
    Remove from crock pot and shred with two forks.
    Put back in pot and cook for another 1/2 hour.
    Serve on buns or tortillas.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited September 2016
    Thank you all for the lovely ideas! Will definitely try them and have a look on Pinterest too! X

Also a search on MFP for past Crockpot/Slow Cooker recipes shared will net you some great ones as well. I agree you'll find tons of great ones on Pinterest as well! If you're anything like the rest of us you better set a timer for Pinterest or you'll be there for days ..and days. :p

EDIT: MFP's blog http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ "Hello Healthy" has some great recipes to check out as well, Crockpot & regular ones.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    indigomk wrote: »

I do unstuffed peppers and cabbage rolls. Do as you normally would with them but cut up the peppers/cabbage instead of stuffing. I omit rice and use quinoa for extra protein.

@indigomk
    Sounds delicious! I haven't made that recipe or the cabbage rolls in quite some time. Would you mind sharing your recipes? Pretty please? :D Do you use ground beef or ground turkey when making yours? Oh absolutely I can see how using Quinoa would make a lot of sense and be a perfect exchange for both of these recipes. Brilliant, not sure if I'd have thought of that. :smiley: Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

That's what's great about MFP's recipe board...little twists and turns you can pick up from others!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Some of these look great! I don't have recipes, per se, but do love to make:
    split pea soup
    Lentils
    pot roast
    chicken and red chile (for tacos)
    lean beef and green chile (for burritos)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I love doing salsa and chicken like someone mentioned above. I've done stew meat cooked in a can of soda and that was super goodb

I have made crockpot zucchini lasagna which is quite good!

Really, Pinterest is your friend. There are a ton of recipes!

Crockpot zucchini lasagna sounds AWESOME
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    salsa chicken, mentioned above is awesome.

Pork roast with a can of rootbeer, cooked, then shred and add BBQ sauce of your choice is very tasty.

I enjoy skinnytaste.com, she has some great recipes, and can't wait for her slow cooker cookbook in October! https://www.amazon.com/Skinnytaste-Fast-Slow-Knockout-Quick-Fix/dp/0553459600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473453089&sr=8-1&keywords=skinnytaste+crockpot+cookbook
  • Thank you all for these lovely recipes, looking forward to trying x
  • I do frozen chicken breasts, can of rotel, jar of my favorite salsa, black beans, corns, onion and green bell pepper. When I get home from work I shred the chicken, then add some softened fat free or 1/3 fat free cream cheese in and cover until melted. Stir it all up. I eat it alone, but my husband likes it on tortillas or rice.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Old standby for delicious pulled pork:

1x 5 - 7lb pork butt roast
    1x Normal-sized bottle of Jack Daniel's Original Recipe No.7 BBQ Sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 shots of whiskey, your choice (optional but recommended)
    1 pinch each of the following: garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, black pepper, seasoned salt
    1 can of Dr. Pepper (not diet, it'll mess everything up)

Dump all that in the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours, then shred with a couple forks and drain the excess liquid. I guarantee you won't have better homemade pulled pork.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    edited September 2016
    Lime Cilantro Chicken is by far my favorite.

2x chicken breasts
    juice from 1/2 lime
    1 cup salsa
    1 tsp chili powder (or taco powder)
    2 tsp chopped cilantro

high for 4 hrs or low for 8 hrs. Once the chicken is done, shred it in the slow cooker and mix it up with the sauce.

Makes 6 servings of shredded meat, put it in tacos, or over rice bowl, or in a wrap or over a salad, whatever you feel like. o:)