WWYD...short on calories but not hungry.

I am finding myself having to force myself to eat at the end of the night because I won't be hungry but I'm shy of the 1K calories I need for the day. Like tonight, I ate lunch, I ate dinner, had my coffee for the day but I am shy of the calories it will let me complete my diary at. I'm just plain not hungry. Should I go ahead and leave it as is or make myself eat something?

Replies

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Laz, it would be emotional eating and eating when bored for me that caused weight gain. (and a obsession w/cleaning my plate thanks to growing up poor.)
  • tcay584
    tcay584 Posts: 55 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Whenever people post these it makes me wonder how you gained weight to begin with if you are truly satisfied eating as little as you say.

Please be aware that not every member in MFP has an eating problem, is fat or has at lot of weight to lose. MFP means My Fitness Pal, not My Fat Pal.

Very good point! I'm the fat pal, but not everyone is! I bet that can get a bit annoying.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited September 2016
    This is a good question honestly.

I think it depends. I can think of situations where I'd recommend people eat more even when not hungry but I think more often then not I'd say don't eat if you're truly not hungry.

I'm assuming the goal is weight loss with the following post.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend eating regardless of hunger if you need it for adequate athletic performance. I'd suggest it if it's relevant for weight class restricted athletes, I'd suggest eating when not hungry if you have evidence that doing so will be beneficial in how it may effect eating behaviors the following day. I'd consider it if essential nutrients are missing or protein intake is pathetically low.

And then I'd also consider it if something abnormal is going on like being on an absurdly low calorie intake and still not having any hunger.

But there are plenty of times where these conditions aren't there.

Reasons I WOULDN'T suggest eating more calories even when not hungry:

1) You have the calories remaining in your diary, therefore you eat because a computer screen told you to.
    2) You're worried about starvation mode.
    3) Someone on the internet said that X calories is the lowest anyone should ever go and therefore you must eat.

Of these, I think #1 is terribly common and likely not a good habit to get into.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Assuming your not trying to lose weight Mix up a protein shake and throw some evoo in it if you have that. Drinking calories is easier than eating them usually
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Whenever people post these it makes me wonder how you gained weight to begin with if you are truly satisfied eating as little as you say.

Please be aware that not every member in MFP has an eating problem, is fat or has at lot of weight to lose. MFP means My Fitness Pal, not My Fat Pal.

Yep, except this OP had already noted in a prior thread that they needed to lose, and the reflection as a whole was for those who are overweight which I didn't think needed pointed out. Thanks, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I love those days. I know I'll be hungry eventually so it will all average out.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Honestly, this happens to me a lot and I think it is because I'm eating in a way that is just naturally more satiating than I was before. I notice that when I decrease my sugar consumption I have far fewer cravings. I got fat by feeding my cravings, which led to more cravings that I fed because of emotional eating and just plain not giving a crap about myself.

I try to eat calorie dense things. I eat low carb/mod protein/high fat so in the evenings I enjoy having some pepperoni and cheese, or lunchmeat and cheese rolled up, hardboiled eggs, or nuts. Sometimes I eat more than one of these things if I need the calories. I'm finding that even though MFP gives me 1600 calories a day I feel satisfied around 1400. Around 8-9 pm is when I log on and realize that I'm usually about 400 calories short and that I need to fix that.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    If you really eat less than 1000 calories and is not hungry, I would advise talking to a doctor....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I am finding myself having to force myself to eat at the end of the night because I won't be hungry but I'm shy of the 1K calories I need for the day. Like tonight, I ate lunch, I ate dinner, had my coffee for the day but I am shy of the calories it will let me complete my diary at. I'm just plain not hungry. Should I go ahead and leave it as is or make myself eat something?

I can't tell from this post if this is something that happens occasionally or regularly. I've always had occasional days where I didn't want to eat much. I don't force myself to eat because I know I will also have days where I can't seem to get full on my usual calories, and I like knowing that I can eat more on those days have it even out.

But, if this is something that happens often, I'd suggest you take a look at your diet content and your thoughts about food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

So what? 1000 calories a day on a regular basis would not be enough for the vast majority of people regardless of their weight unless they are on a medically supervised diet.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP did you not get the answers you were looking for in the thread you posted earlier this week?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10456804/i-cant-reach-1000cals-help/p1

I'm not sure why you think you might get different answers now - as people suggested in both threads, there are plenty of calorie dense nutritious foods that you can use to help get you up to a minimum caloric threshold. Also as mentioned in your other thread, if you aren't using a food scale, it is possible you are already eating more than you think.
  • gatamadriz
    gatamadriz Posts: 68 Member
    If i don't feel like eating I don't. I find that the next day or the day after I'll have extra calories and my weekly average is pretty on target. I would only worry about it if you begin to go a week eating under 1k calories.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Your goal is to eat only 1,000 calories a day? And you aren't getting there?

OP, you may want to consider professional help. Nutritionist, therapist, any qualified medical professional.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Start by buying a food scale.
  • WanderingRivers

I can't tell from this post if this is something that happens occasionally or regularly. I've always had occasional days where I didn't want to eat much. I don't force myself to eat because I know I will also have days where I can't seem to get full on my usual calories, and I like knowing that I can eat more on those days have it even out.

But, if this is something that happens often, I'd suggest you take a look at your diet content and your thoughts about food.

It's happened a couple of times already this week and I've forced myself to actually eat those remaining calories but it feels wrong. I'm pursuing a fairly aggressive calories deficit to work to lose 2lbs/week.

I just don't know to get over that line w/o making myself do it.
  • WanderingRivers
    Start by buying a food scale.

We are still in recovery mode from an expensive vehicle repair so there is no room for extras. And I am not sure I can justify ANOTHER gadget in the kitchen that's already crowded as is.