How often do you run?

I'm still learning to run. I've been improving too which is exciting. Lol I aim for 5 or 6 days a week. I was wondering if that's the normal amount or if it's too much.

Replies

• NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    I guess it would depend on mileage or effort? You want to let your body get some recovery time in between big efforts. I alternate days with strength training, so I run 2-3x per week.... "Run" on the treadmill, I am not a runner, but to me, what I do, feels like running... Which is probably fast walking for the experienced, faster runner.... Hehehe
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 833 Member
    I run either 2 or 3 days during the work week, plus one long run on the weekend.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    4 days a week for me. I am on a 10K training program and it stresses more slow paced/long duration runs, with some intervals and sprints tossed in. It's working because I put the same "effort" into my easy run days and my pace is getting faster.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Nice work!! Running can be brutal- and to make improvements feels awesome, amiright?
    As for your schedule, pretty normal. That said, as @NadiaMayl noted, gradual increases will help you avoid injury before doing to much too soon, as will appropriate recovery.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    That's awesome silverfriend!
  • tonafoto
    tonafoto Posts: 246 Member
    2 days 3 miles, 1 day 4 miles, 1 day rest, 2 days 3 miles, 1 day 4 miles, 1 day rest...etc.
    I'm not running very fast: about 5 miles an hour.
    With a 2000 calorie intake the pounds fly away... :)
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    I want fly away pounds too lol
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    I only run 3 times a month sometimes only once :#
  • I try to run almost everyday 1 mile followed by 100m sprints and 5 miles on a bike.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I "run" about 6 times a week when my health permits, but that includes only 3 real runs and 3 barely shuffling for 20 minutes just because I enjoy running and like to make the best of it when I'm able. So about 3 times a week of actual runs including one long run followed by a rest day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I want fly away pounds too lol

Well, I get an even better benefit than fly away pounds! I get eat away days while still losing just the same

dottljm2jvfz.png
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    3 times a week is the recommended amount for new runners, and i follow that. It's also something i can stick to in the long term.
  • adub119
    adub119 Posts: 27 Member
    I haven't ran in about 10 years.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    I run about once a month. :grin:

I'm a cyclist .... :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    3 times a week is the recommended amount for new runners, and i follow that. It's also something i can stick to in the long term.

this is me. I do two forty minute runs and a long-run at weekends. I think 5/6 days a week is for established runners and those with a longer distance goal in mind. Rest days are crucial and help to build strength.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    about 5 days a week, works out around 25 miles a week.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited September 2016
    In my opinion, 3 times a week is good for beginners. This is the time frame that beginner apps like C25K start from. Even if you are doing lower miles, running 5 - 6 days a week could bring overuse injury, as your body has not adapted to the stress and rigors of running 5 - 6 days a week. That takes time to build up to. It is best to stick with 3 days a week for 6 months (as a new runner) and then consider adding another day of running every six months or so.

Edited to add: I currently run 5 days a week and will be moving to 6 days a week very shortly. I am an ultra runner and I need all those days to be able to do my running mileage (75 - 100 miles a week). Every 3 weeks I have a cutback week, where I don't run as many miles. If I had had a particularly hard running week, I will do a cutback the following week. That way I don't overwhelm my body.
  • mcdonagk
    mcdonagk Posts: 136 Member
    Hardly ever, my lower back locks up after about 1 mile or so. I compensate by boing HIT 2 or 3 times a week.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I'm still learning to run. I've been improving too which is exciting. Lol I aim for 5 or 6 days a week. I was wondering if that's the normal amount or if it's too much.
    I run 3 miles right before a full body workout with weights, and I usually take two days off from both activities.
    I call my non-training days "working rest"...and on those days it's swimming and hiking barefoot in the woods.

Your frequency would depend on your overall goals.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    never!

In any case, if you're just starting out you want to have more time to rest and make adaptations. You don't want to start getting "overuse" injuries like shin splints,plantar fasciitis, etc.

I would start off with every other day, so 3-4 days a week total.