Help! Going out to eat and need help making a good choice

So I have two eating-out engagements this week. One is a birthday celebration for a coworker and the other is a family dinner. I can't opt-out of either, but I'm just over two weeks in and I'm panicking on staying within my calories. I don't feel either of these events warrant a "cheat" and since they are both in the same week, I can't really afford two food cheats in one week.

I have a daily target of 1300 calories...and rarely earn more from exercise, so there's not a big buffer. You can see my diary...my breakfast is completely consistent (I could skip the V8 if I had to those days). Lunch this week is the veggie soup + Asian meatballs in my diary. I could skip the Asian Meatballs on the family dinner night, too. Those are about the only places I feel like I can really adjust down because of the low calories...but I am completely open for suggestions.

Menu 1: http://www.thebrokerrestaurant.com/menu_lunch_2016_09.pdf. I don't have anything more than what is listed here to go on. I usually get the Monte Cristo (we affectionally call it the deep fried donut sandwich), which is clearly a no-go unless I only eat 1/4 of it and that is just not within the realm of possibility for me. I'm leaning toward French Onion soup OR a burger (no bun or 1/2 bun) with a side salad, or perhaps a Caesar salad with grilled chicken. Any other thoughts? I won't have a food scale with me, so I will have to eye ball it, but I feel pretty OK doing that for this meal.

Menu 2: http://ilfornaio.com/menus/DEN.C.Dinner%205.16.pdf. Immediately I'm thinking the Margherita pizza or even the vegetariana (and probably just 1/2 pizza).

Any other thoughts and suggestions? I don't want to blow it, but restaurants are killers for me. I love eating out and I love cleaning my plate. I have the resolve to do this, but I need a plan!

TIA for your help!

Replies

• SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    I am thinking soup and salad at menu 1 with the dressing on the side... dip your bite in a little each time. At menu 2 I'd go with the salad OR the soup...since their salads seem to be already made with dressing (unless I'm wrong on this) If you absolutely want to do pizza, then what you have selected is a good place to start. Just remember that pizza has a lot of carbs and choose your day around that. Basically, at the end of the day, you need to prelog and just fit in what you will eat into calories AND macros for the day. That's the best way to succeed.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Menu 1- I might choose the salmon entree depending on what comes with it.
    Menu 2- I might pair the minestrone soup with a slice or 2 of pizza.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I don't necessarily *want* to do pizza. I'm not sure I could only eat 1/2, which would be what I could fit in for the day. On menu 2 there are a few grilled / rotisserie chicken options. I'm leaning toward those. I can make that feel more filling than pizza and I think it will fit better anyway.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Calorie cycling is always an option (just don't go under 1200 for the day) I do this all the time, and it helps me, but I have much more calories to work with.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I won't make suggestions on the actual meals but here's a trick that helps when eating out. As soon as the waiter brings your food ask for a to go box. Put half the meal in the box and then eat the half that remains on your plate. Out of sight, out of mind and you have tasty leftovers for another meal.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Menu 1- I might choose the salmon entree depending on what comes with it.
    Menu 2- I might pair the minestrone soup with a slice or 2 of pizza.

I like how you think. I'm much more pleased when I can pair foods or have the appearance of a lot of food.

I think salmon entree can come with whatever sides they have--usually a veggie, mashed potato, rice, or soup/salad.

@SueInAz I think that is a great idea, especially if I go with pizza.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    On the lunch menu have a salad or any of the fish entrees that are not fried.

On the dinner menu have anything from the grill Just only eat half because those portions will be huge.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Make a 'fake' food log for these days and log your day and play with the different menu options until you find the one that fits.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Menu 1 down. I went with the French onion soup and a Caesar salad. It was VERY filling and very good. There's no real way to know since it wasn't a chain restaurant, but I estimated the salad knowing I ate romaine and Caesar dressing with some parmesan (no croutons) and I just picked the French onion soup in the database that I could find with most calories.
  • noraabercrombie
    noraabercrombie Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2016
    Eat mostly meat and roasted root vegetables (not fries), and drink lots of water. You won't be hungry and you'll feel like you've had a treat. Stay far away from pizza, bread -- anything with grain in it because that, combined with the excitement of being out, might trigger a binge. Let yourself eat as many root veggies as you want.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member

If you order soup, make sure you know what's in it -- I used to order tomato soup and a salad at a local restaurant until I found out the soup was half cream. It came that way, so I couldn't ask that they make it with water.

1 tablespoon:
    Heavy whipping cream: 52 calories
    Half-and-half: 20 calories
    Fat-free milk: 5 calories

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-answers/calories/faq-20058100
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I won't make suggestions on the actual meals but here's a trick that helps when eating out. As soon as the waiter brings your food ask for a to go box. Put half the meal in the box and then eat the half that remains on your plate. Out of sight, out of mind and you have tasty leftovers for another meal.

Just be aware, some restaurants charge of you ask for a to go box at the beginning of a meal.

• fitoverfortymom
    Eat mostly meat and roasted root vegetables (not fries), and drink lots of water. You won't be hungry and you'll feel like you've had a treat. Stay far away from pizza, bread -- anything with grain in it because that, combined with the excitement of being out, might trigger a binge. Let yourself eat as many root veggies as you want.

I have indeed decided against the pizza for tomorrow night. It's just too soon. I'm going with chicken and vegetables.
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited September 2016
    I was so wrong. I got the taglatelle bolognese in a small portion for 380 calories and shared a dinner salad with my MIL. Was delicious, I resisted table bread and extra cheese on my pasta, and feel perfectly satisfied. I got to clear my plate and no leftover picking to worry about. A bit off on my macros, but that's easy enough to rebalance.

I. Did. It!!!!!!