Shaky & Lightheaded After Cleaning House?

Hey everyone,

Tonight I was cleaning my house & packing since my family is moving soon. While I was cleaning I began sweating (normal I know), but about 30 minutes later I went to bend down & I felt lightheaded. I shook that off & continued until shaking began. Normally I am fine when it comes to physical labor. I can run 3 miles no issues, use elliptical for 45 minutes no issue, & even walk 7+ miles with no issues at all... but cleaning had me feeling terrible. I didn't use any cleaners, however I did have to clean up some poop ftom a mouse that had gotten into my house. Could that have caused lightheadedness? I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly after cleaning that mess up. Also, I know I do not have health issues that could cause this to happen & if I did I would've most likely found out from my blood test at my doctors office.

Thank you for any & all responses every word of advice & help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    dehydration sometimes gets me this way . . . it can mess with your blood pressure way more than i ever knew.

so that's the most practical thought. if you want scream-and-scurry fodder
    hantavirus can be picked up by contact with mouse droppings

but honestly, idk how likely that is.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    My first thought is dehydration.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2016
    I second low blood sugar/pressure. Light headedness, especially when coming up from a bent position, is often blood sugar. If it happens again, have a small glass of juice. I have this happen pretty regularly due to low blood pressure, but just getting quick sugar from juice immediately helps.

Seeing that it has only happened this once, I wouldn't worry too much. But if it keeps repeating, a doctor visit is in order.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I get like this every now and then, for a variety of reasons:

1. not enough sleep..anything under 6 hours
    2. not enough food..a quick banana or apple usually help
    3. combination of two above
    4. hot flashes....I'm in perimenopause..you seem too young for that, but you never know....mine started in my 30's

If it's only happened the one time, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it starts to happen often, PLEASE go see a doctor, just in case something else is going on.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    That happens to me sometimes if I bend down and tilt my head too fast. I've never passed out, but heard of others who have.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    This happens to me occasionally after particularly vigorous cleaning. I mostly chalk it up to all of the odd movements that are involved, particularly bending and raising/lowering/tilting of the head. I have issues with motion sickness, so I think that perhaps it's the same type of force at place when I feel a bit nauseated after cleaning.

I recommend just taking break every so often when cleaning, and getting some food or juice and water.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Are you an endurance athlete, like a marathoner or century cyclist? If so there's a phenomena in endurance athletes called orthostatic or postural hypotension (low blood pressure). Basically if you're seated for a long period of time and suddenly rise the blood rushes into your legs and since your heart rate is low due to conditioning there's a bit of a delay in getting your blood back up out of your legs, and so there's a brief period of dizziness while your heart catches up.
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Hey @heyitslexi95, some great advice here already. @GaryRuns has pointed out a very common issue for many. One other think I would consider having looked at if it continues is Low Iron. Very common, especially for woman.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Seems like it could be either a blood sugar drop or dehydration. This happens to me at least once a week in the gym! Lucky women have issues like this especially around the time of the month when our Iron is wonky. Hope you find the source and feel better soon.
  • pasewaldd
    pasewaldd Posts: 24 Member
    Pre-menopause is what I was thinking also.

• Epannyes
    Epannyes Posts: 1 Member
    Hmm .. This is a really interesting case. Anything could happen to you. Perhaps the blood pressure has changed (sometimes this happens even in healthy people), or something is missing in your body. Did you only do a blood test? Do other tests too, maybe this will give you the answer. Also, it can be due to a lack of sleep, water or food, or vice versa from an excess of them. Bad weather can also affect this. By the way, do you have a boyfriend or a husband? Maybe you're pregnant? :) I don’t know what else to advise you, since I don’t clean myself, but I hire different apartment cleaning services in chicago. It's just that I'm always busy at work and therefore I just don't have time to clean. Yes, I understand that this is bad, but otherwise I cannot.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited July 2020
    Low sugar, or heat stroke/heat exhaustion would be my first thoughts. Mouse poop can carry wicked germs (hantavirus, anyone?) but it takes time from exposure until symptoms develop (days to weeks).
    Edit: zombie thead :#