Anyone else always cold?

124»

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Me too! I've always been the hot one but after losing 57 pounds I'm freezing to death. I remember once a long time ago on one of the crazy diets I was on they prescribed potassium for being cold but this time I lost on a healthy diet so not sure what to make of it. I do have a low thyroid though. I'm also on blood pressure meds. This made me wonder if I need to have them reduced. Good luck kiddo and just know you aren't alone.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited September 2016
    how are your iron levels? I suffer from hypothyroidism and I dont experience cold feelings, but than again I don't really exhibit any of the symptoms that come with my diagnosis
  • Do you smoke? I found when I was a smoker I as always wearing a sweater. When I quit I wasn't as cold any more.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Ginger tea. Powdered ginger or from the root, both are very effective warmers. Throw in some cayenne and, well you get the idea.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I started being cold before I lost weight. Menopause. It did a number on me. I always used to run hot and now I can't keep warm at all.
  • deannasawyer
    deannasawyer Posts: 47 Member
    Same here. I'm at my goal weight, eating maintenance, and absolutely freezing all the time, even when active. :( I'm completely miserable. I can forget being hungry, thirsty, or needing to use the restroom, but I can never forget that I am cold. This summer, I felt hot maybe 2-4 days. My fiancé runs hot, which makes it very difficult to get through the day (and night) together.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    I wear uggs and a winter coat with a fur hood in summer, everyone hates me because I hate air conditioning.
  • emawbey
    emawbey Posts: 50 Member
    edited September 2016
    I suffer from this especially in winter, any tips on keeping feet warm? I have tried heat holder socks but it isn't enough!!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Thick wool socks work for me, I put on cotton sockes first underneath.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I was reading on Dr. Axe's website the being cold is a sign of the metabolism not working correctly. Do you think extreme deficit might cause the feeling cold syndrome?
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    I was reading on Dr. Axe's website the being cold is a sign of the metabolism not working correctly. Do you think extreme deficit might cause the feeling cold syndrome?

I think it is a real risk of using a calorie deficit diet. It probably depends a lot on the type of foods eaten but the ASD is pretty horrible if someone just reduces the calories. I'm really starting to lean towards believing that just eating all meals but fewer calories is dangerous for my health.

There is a lot of debate and questions about what a weight set point really is. A awful lot of us probably eat enough to force our weight about our "set point", so when we reduce our calories we lose weight really well for a while. The problem comes in if we drive our weight below our set point, then the body can reduce our metabolism and that can lead to feeling cold.

I doubt if many people really want a lower metabolism. My current thinking is that the set point is really set by our insulin resistance. The really bad thing about that it insulin resistance isn't something that can be easily monitored. However that is my current focus, reducing IR instead of just reducing weight. The main tools for that seem to be HIIT workouts, fasting and lowering carbs (maybe). As far as carbs go, the only thing that really seemed to make a lot of difference for me is cutting sugar. That greatly reduced my issues with hunger and even feeling cold.

Feeling cold because of dieting though seems to be a pretty common problem. Doesn't happen to everyone but it does to enough to show it is real. I'm sure there are other issues that can cause one to feel cold though. Iron deficiency seems to be one, probably thyroid issues would be another. I don't buy the argument that less fat makes one feel cold.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Getting older seems to be a pretty common reason for people to feel cold too. Sometimes the reason is pretty simple.

I know for me, that was the reason. I felt cold long before I was eating at a deficit. It was all age-related.

I can remember laughing at my mother in law feeling cold all the time when I was younger. That's come back to bite me now.