Replies

• forgtmenotforgtmenot Posts: 874Member Member Posts: 874Member Member
    edited October 2015
  • forgtmenotforgtmenot Posts: 874Member Member Posts: 874Member Member
    Sorry the mfp app is being weird. I will try to post this later
    edited October 2015
  • justrollmejustrollme Posts: 968Member Member Posts: 968Member Member
    Quick & Easy Lemon-Basil Hummus:

I'll post an image below with the MFP recipe builder info.

1 can chickpeas, drained (about 221 grams)
    juice of 1 large or 1.5 small lemons (about 72 ml)
    1/4 cup sesame tahini (about 22 grams)
    1 small clove garlic (about 2 grams)
    2 cups fresh basil leaves (about 28 grams)
    1/4 tsp salt (to taste—the chickpeas weren't low sodium, so didn't need to add much)
    Up to 1 tsp of water, if the hummus is too thick

I used an immersion blender, and first blended about half of the chickpeas with half of the lemon juice and the garlic. Then I added half of the basil and blended until smooth. After that, added a tiny bit of water for smoothness, and the remaining ingredients, blended it all up.

So yummy!! It may be stored in a container in the fridge up to a week, not that it will last that long! Here is what it looks like:
    34erv6kso7pf.jpg

I made it as 4 servings, but I'll probably use it as 2 or 3 servings, instead. Here is the recipe builder info:

vaz2FAt.png

• terrenceobrien1terrenceobrien1 Posts: 45Member Member Posts: 45Member Member
    I just made this recipe today. Pretty tasty! I like this idea of lentil "meatballs". It does call for one 1 egg (to hold the lentil balls together).

http://naturallyella.com/lentil-meatballs-with-burst-tomato-pasta/#comment-142919
  • DrPepper1967DrPepper1967 Posts: 9Member, Premium Member Posts: 9Member, Premium Member
    Feta & Couscous salad with pomegranate

Ingredients (serves 4)
    200g couscous
    200g feta, roughly crumbled
    35g shelled pistachios
    150g pack pomegranate seeds (grapes chopped up work just as well)
    2 tablespoons of freshly chopped mint
    Juice 1 orange
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Salt & ground black pepper

Method
    Place the couscous in a shallow bowl, then pour over 200ml boiling water
    Cover the bowl with clingfilm, leave for 5 minutes
    Ruffle with a fork, then stir through feta, pistachios, pomegranate seeds and mint
    Make a dressing by mixing the juice of orange, white wine vinegar & olive oil and stir in to couscous
    Season well with salt & pepper

Tips
    This is just as nice without feta if you are watching your calories, serve with a salad and warm pitta bread or whatever you fancy
  • pragatipatelpragatipatel Posts: 18Member Member Posts: 18Member Member
    high protein black eyed bean Indian curry
    edited February 2016
  • pragatipatelpragatipatel Posts: 18Member Member Posts: 18Member Member
    new recipe, Chapati a flat bread made by all purpose flour and oats and baked in oven. tasty and healthy
  • alichristianaalichristiana Posts: 78Member Member Posts: 78Member Member
    Hi! I'm new to the group and to being vegan, but ive very much enjoyed the food. Heres a recipe :)

Creamy potato bake (serves 2)

Ingredients:
    1 good size potato (about 400g) washed or skinned, as prefered
    120g canned white beans (butterbean or similar), drained
    1 leek, chopped
    30g cashew butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 clove of garlic, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
    Salt, pepper to taste

Directions:
    Mix the cashew butter and lemon juice well, add seasoning and set aside for a few minutes
    Into a large measuring jug, add the beans, garlic, and veg stock powder.
    Make up to 400ml with water and blend into a sauce. Blend in the cashew mixture.
    Thinly slice the potato and layer with the chopped leeks in a baking dish, leaving enough potato for a top layer.
    Pour over the sauce, then add the top layer of dry potato.
    Bake in the oven at 200 celcius for an hour.
    Serve with veggies and enjoy :)
  • sarahkanzalonesarahkanzalone Posts: 257Member Member Posts: 257Member Member
    I made TVP "tuna" yesterday that turned out pretty good

1/2 cup TVP
    1/2 cup (or a tad more for microwave) water
    3 of the small seaweed snack sheets (I used 2 sheets but think 3 would bring more flavor)
    Old Bay seasoning to taste

I just crumbled up the seaweed and mixed it with the old bay in the water and let that sit for a little bit. Then cooked in covered dish with TVP. It turned out pretty good. I then mixed it with a little fat free mayo and mustard for a "tuna salad) in a flat-out wrap with lettuce. Going to continue experimenting with the recipe but this seemed like a good base
  • becsworld1974becsworld1974 Posts: 4Member Member Posts: 4Member Member
    One of my favourite meals pre-vego meals to cook is Russian Stroganoff. I love mine zesty, not creamy with tomato.
    I decided to make a vegan version today, unfortunately no soy yogurt at the market so vego instead, but easy to convert.

800g mushrooms (Mix of white and brown), cut coarsely.
    2 onions
    Zest from one lemon
    2 tbsp. garlic
    500ml low-fat Greek style yogurt
    1kg combined frozen veg, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots.
    2 cups of rice, or pasta, or quinoa etc.

Put rice, pasta etc on to cook.
    Saute onions and garlic in a little bit of water for about 3 mins (same amount as you would use in oil), add in mushrooms, stir and saute those with lid on for another 5-10mins. Add in zest of one lemon. Reduce heat to low, add in frozen vegies and stir through. Simmer for another 10mins while rice is cooking.
    Take off the heat then stir in yogurt.
    Serve on top of rice, pasta etc.

I loved this. I think the trick was to cut the onions and mushrooms so they are still have some bulk and you feel like you are chewing something.

This made 8 serves. Serve with half a cook of cooked rice and it equals about 205Cal per serve, which is amazing for a main meal.

• druasmithdruasmith Posts: 29Member Member Posts: 29Member Member
    Spinach Lentil Stew.

I got this out of Epicurious a few years ago and it's become a regular in my rotation. It's cheap and easy and filling healthy-as-an-ox old school peasant food.
    Comes recommended with sesame rolls, tomato cucumber salad, and pistachio ice cream for desert, none of which I've ever bothered with.
    Don't skip the mint or the lemon if you can help it. You'd be missing out.

2 big servings:
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    3 cups canned vegetable broth
    1 cup lentils, rinsed, picked over
    8 ounces red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 lemon
    6 ounces torn fresh spinach leaves (about 8 cups)
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
    Crumbled feta cheese (optional)

Heat olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add vegetable broth and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add potatoes; cook uncovered until potatoes and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from lemon; squeeze enough juice from lemon to measure 2 tablespoons. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, spinach and cayenne to stew. Cover and simmer stew until spinach wilts and is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Mix in mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat before serving.)
    Spoon stew into large soup bowls. Sprinkle feta cheese over, if desired.
    Spicy Lentil Tahini Wraps

I adapted this from a prefab wrap I bought at Trader Joe's.

Ingredients:
    1 med white or yellow onion, finely chopped
    2-3 tablespoons of oil to saute onion in
    1 tbsp, Red Pepper Flakes
    14 ounce (half a package) Bulgar
    8 oz (half a bag) Lentils, raw
    3-4 cups of water
    .5 Tbsp salt
    1-2 bunches of parsley, stems removed
    about .5lb of shredded cabbage (or bagged coleslaw mix)
    half a 16oz jar of tahini
    6 tortillas, burrito size or larger

Chop onion finely (I pulse in a food processor) and saute in oil at the bottom of a large pot with red pepper flakes until translucent
    add bulgar and saute a minute
    add lentils and combine
    add water and stir til ingredients are incorporated
    Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes
    Just make sure there's enough water it doesn't burn on the bottom but not so much the mix is too gloopy.

Meanwhile
    Tear leaves off parsley and chop to reduce bulk (I pulse them in the food processor too).

When barley and lentils are cooked thru, remove heat, add salt and parsley and mix together.
    Let mixture set for a few minutes to incorporate flavors and cool.

Spread tahini on tortillas.
    Sprinkle a layer of shredded cabbage.
    Spoon lentil-bulgar concoction in center of tortilla.
    Wrap up like a burrito.

Save carbs, fat, and calories by eating the filling and cabbage as a salad and skipping the tortilla and the tahini.

You can premake all the wraps or store the filling separately. Either way it will last in the fridge for about a week.

It's about 750 calories with the tortilla and tahini and about half that if you just eat the lentil-bulgur filling with cabbage as a salad.
    I made TVP "tuna" yesterday that turned out pretty good

1/2 cup TVP
    1/2 cup (or a tad more for microwave) water
    3 of the small seaweed snack sheets (I used 2 sheets but think 3 would bring more flavor)
    Old Bay seasoning to taste

I just crumbled up the seaweed and mixed it with the old bay in the water and let that sit for a little bit. Then cooked in covered dish with TVP. It turned out pretty good. I then mixed it with a little fat free mayo and mustard for a "tuna salad) in a flat-out wrap with lettuce. Going to continue experimenting with the recipe but this seemed like a good base

I've done something like this by smashing up chickpeas or great northern beans with some seaweed and maybe a little olive oil. Then doll it up with some tuna salad fixins like chopped celery and red or green onion. Maybe some dill if you have it.
  • FitVegetarian14516FitVegetarian14516 Posts: 43Member Member Posts: 43Member Member
    3 (and 1 opt.) ingredient GF Vegan Peanut Butter cookies!

(I know most of you probably know the original with the egg, but this is just what I do instead to make them vegan).

1 cup sugar
    1 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup applesauce
    1 tsp baking soda (optional)

They're really yummy and moist. The texture is a little different from regular peanut butter cookies, but personally I like them better this way.
  • FitVegetarian14516FitVegetarian14516 Posts: 43Member Member Posts: 43Member Member
    New baking Recipe! Strawberry Vegan muffins under 200 cal!

1 cup, Oats
    1 tsp, Leavening agents, baking soda
    0.50 teaspoon, Salt
    1 tsp(s), Cinnamon
    0.50 cup(s), Sugar
    0.50 cup, Water
    1 cup, All Purpose Flour
    1 cup, halves, Strawberries, raw
    0.50 cup, Unsweetened applesauce

Bake each batch for 20 minutes on 375 and viola you have your breakfast for the next week!
  • rosieposiesrlrosieposiesrl Posts: 25Member Member Posts: 25Member Member
    If you have any Simple Quick Grain Free Recipes? That would be Fantastic - Please Please Share!! :)
    I have many food allergies so got to keep it simple, sorry.

My 4 Favourites:
    *** Sushi - Avocado, Garlic, Raddish, Baked Sweet Potato, Vegie Salt) Yum!!!
    *** Chia Seed Pudding - Chia Seed Powder (Blended Seeds), Almond Milk, Frozen Blueberries & Frozen Raspberries ;) So Good
    *** Stir Fry Veggies - Olive Oil, Veggies, Lots og Veggie Salt, Quinoa Noodles, Nuts/Seeds
    *** Juices - Apple & Pea Sprouts or Sunflower Sprouts / Cucumber & Parsley / Carrot & Celery / Pineapple & Bok Choi / Watermelon / Honeydew - LOVE JUICE! :)
  • GothamVeggieGothamVeggie Posts: 92Member Member Posts: 92Member Member
    If you have any Simple Quick Grain Free Recipes? That would be Fantastic - Please Please Share!! :) I have many food allergies so got to keep it simple, sorry.

Here's one of my favorite recipes which is vegan (though I'm a vegetarian). It's delicious, super healthy, filling, packed with protein/fiber & easy to make. In addition, it makes really nice leftovers as the flavor only deepens over time & it can be frozen. Note: The servings are large & can be cut down by 1/4 or 1/3 while still allowing you to eat a nice, filling dish.

Fagioli in Agrodolce (Tangy White Bean Stew)

Ingredients
    • 2 cans cannellini or butter beans (rinsed)
    • 28 oz good crushed tomatoes (w basil preferably)
    • 1 large sprig rosemary (chopped)
    • 1 medium onion (chopped fine; frozen, pre-chopped works well here)
    • 1 Cubanelle pepper or a somewhat mild chili pepper (chopped fine)
    • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (far tastier if you get a good quality one - i.e., with "grape must" as the only ingredient or the 1st ingredient)
    • 2 cups vegetable stock (stock is healthier & tastier than broth)
    • olive oil (I use .5 TBSP, but this can be adjusted to suit your diet & taste)
    Directions
    1. Saute the onions with the rosemary and pepper in a soup pot using a little olive oil.
    2. When the onions are translucent, but not yet brown, add the tomatoes and vinegar.
    3. Cook for 10 minutes.
    4. Add the beans, the vegetable broth and salt to taste.
    5. Cook for a further 20 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently.

ux0ihcu1c7kc.jpg
    http://rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/juice-pulp-crackers/

SAVE YOUR JUICE PULP!!! (Carrots, Beets, Apples, Ginger, Parsley, Sprouts, Kale, Greens)
    Allergy Friendly, GF, Vegan!

Juice Pulp Crackers
    Makes about 25-30 crackers

2 cups juice pulp
    1/2 cup ground flax meal
    1 tsp sea salt
    2 tsp thyme (I used dried)
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup water

Mix & Press Into Baking Paper Lined Tray.
    Bake 180C 40mins, Flip, Another 30mins.

Yummy with cashew cheese, onion, avo, olives!! ☺

rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/juice-pulp-crackers/
    edited November 2016
    rabbitfoodformybunnyteeth.com/juice-pulp-crackers/

SAVE YOUR JUICE PULP - Juice Pulp Crackers!!! ☺
    Makes about 25-30 crackers

2 cups juice pulp
    1/2 cup ground flax meal
    1 tsp sea salt
    2 tsp thyme (I used dried)
    1 tsp black pepper
    1/4 cup water

Mix & Press Into Lined Tray. Bake 180c 40mins, flip, bake for another 30mins.

Yummy With Cashew Cheese, Onion, Avo, Olives!! ☺
  • violetta5345violetta5345 Posts: 38Member Member Posts: 38Member Member
    Ctate's Queso

INGREDIENTS

* 1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
    * 1/4 Cup Flour
    * 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
    * 1 teaspoon Salt
    * 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
    * Dash Garlic Powder
    * Dash Chili Powder
    * 1 Cup Water
    * 2 Tablespoons Vegan Margarine
    * 1 10-ounce Can RoTel (or any other Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained)
    * 2 teaspoons prepared Yellow Mustard (Not Mustard seed or dijon, just regular yellow mustard...kay?)

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine all dry ingredients (everything from nooch to chili powder) in a pan
    2. Add water to pan, turn on medium heat
    3. Stir constantly and once thickened, remove from heat.
    4. Add in margarine, rotel and mustard. Stir until margarine is melted.
    5. Once margarine has melted, put the pan back on the heat and stir until a bit thicker.
    6. Serve over chips, enchiladas or in a quesadilla with seitan and veggies.
    7. Eat warm.

You can sub gluten-free flour for wheat flour. It will work fine. Use tapioca flour if you want it a bit thicker.