Sometimes I really miss overeating...

So, as of tomorrow, I'll have been back on MFP for two weeks.

I'm pretty happy with my mental state this time around and I've bought a food scale to keep myself on track. I'm trying to exercise every day and look forward to trying new things both eating-wise and activity-wise.

But, sometimes, I really miss overeating. I miss that stuffed feeling. I eat all of my calories for the day and I just feel... not hungry. Not full. Not satisfied. Just not hungry. It's a weird thing to deal with, especially since I know that overeating used to make me feel miserable and lethargic for the rest of the day.

I've had one 'cheat' meal this week and that helped a bit with the craving(?) to overeat, but some days it's really hard to resist. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice? So far, I've just been eating a little extra on the days that are really hard and trying to fill out my between meals with little snacks of fruit or veggies until that feeling goes away.

Replies

• kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Same I sometimes miss the feeling of just lying on the sofa and eating endless amount of snacks till my heart content. But now I just can't allow myself to do that because not only to I feel guilty as hell after knowing how many calories I consumed in one seating and like u I will feel sluggish. I guess that's what got us to gain weight in the first place. I rather be saying that I miss overeating than to be saying that I miss my old skinnier self ☹️
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    I know how you feel, I have experienced this, and still do occasionally. When you're first starting you just have to power through as you are doing, the occasional cheat meal helps, nothing too drastic but just one meal a week where you don't think about calories and just eat what you want.

Over time it will get easier, that's not to say it will go away, but definitely easier! If you're anything like me you're on here because you have been overeating for a long time, it's a hard habit to break, but you can break it.

At the end of the day I want to lose weight more than I want to overeat, at first you have to keep reminding yourself of that, and after a few weeks you start thinking about it less. Then when the urge strikes you remind yourself you can have a cheat meal in a few days time and hopefully that will be enough to keep you on track!

Some people don't like the idea of a cheat meal, and I can completely understand why, but I don't think I'd still be here if I didn't allow myself a couple of hours a week of not being so strict!
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    I don't miss it. When I feel tempted to overindulge I remember how great I felt after I lost all the weight before. I want that back. I remind myself how miserable it makes me and how great it feels to reach a new goal. I ask myself "How bad do I want it and at what cost? " that is generally enough to keep me on track, and if not I load up on veggies till I want to pop! Then have a bite of something.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    I did for a while...that stuffed feeling was comforting.

After almost 14 months of eating mindfully, I prefer a more empty feeling. I feel blah now if I overeat some of the foods I used to love yo stuff myself with.

Over time I believe you too will change....
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    I miss my Friday night wine and pizza ritual.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    I get that "stuffed" feeling (without the lethargy) daily by eating a whole bag of non-starchy steam-in-bag veggies with one of my meals. Large volume, low calorie.
  • Kir122
    Kir122 Posts: 6 Member
    Let me ask you, why do you want to overeat? Why do you want to feel stuffed? And when you say not satisfied, is it a physical or emotional satisfaction you're not getting?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I totally understand. I was in maintenance a few months ago and got so tired of it. I just wanted to eat "like everyone else". So, here I am 14 pounds heavier, and starting to look like everyone else again as well. It sucks. Just stick with it and you'll be happier in the long run. I used to be anti-cheat meals. After this collapse I think I might allow one meal a week. It won't have me gain the weight back the way derailing (twice now) did.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    I get like that too sometimes. Just want to sit and stiff my face. Then I remember that if I do that I will have wasted all this time and effort.

Sometimes I will start but I can't get through as much as I used to be able to anyway.

A 'cheat' meal per week really does help!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    I know the feeling. Being stuffed, sitting on the couch napping and snacking. I miss it sometimes.Someone else said they want to eat like everyone else, I feel that way sometimes, too. It's familiar. I did that for a long time. I cheat sometimes though, I did this weekend. It feels good to me in the moment, but then I feel gross and bloated.

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    Kir122 wrote: »
    Let me ask you, why do you want to overeat? Why do you want to feel stuffed? And when you say not satisfied, is it a physical or emotional satisfaction you're not getting?

I'm guessing that it has to do with being homeless for 3 years and eating very little during that time. After that, the feeling of being hungry would make me really upset and I would eat a ton. That was one of the issues that I've had to deal with this year before I could approach this weight loss thing seriously. As for the satisfaction... I'm pretty sure it's just an emotional thing since I don't feel hungry often on my current calorie setup.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I know 100% what you mean. There is a sense of not just contentment, but ... satisfaction isn't quite the word I want. Gratitude, security and blessedness come closer. It's the sense that I am not only able to meet my needs, but I am able to give myself more than just what is needed.

For me, this is a point before I feel "gross and bloated." Like, I am perfectly capable of eating food I enjoy until my stomach HURTS. But there's a point before that where my stomach feels a little stretchy and I have a wee food baby. That feels good to me. I don't *need* that feeling, but on occasion, I'm okay with letting myself enjoy it.
  • ClareGxxx
    ClareGxxx Posts: 18 Member
    I miss it too. It's my addiction. It's worse tho cos u can't escape food. Don't beat ur self up if u have a bad slip up, just remember to get back on it. I miss being a sloth but I hate the feeling of looking in the mirror or feeling uncomfortable in my own skin. My only advice is avoid the sugar spikes whenever u can cos the munchies always follow... Or at least it does for me.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    Why don't you reduce your deficit for a while? You say you don't feel full. I've lost most of the weight I had to lose and never felt 'not full'. It takes longer but I don't mind it.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    I do miss it every now and then. I love watching Netflix and eating jalapeno cheetos and gummy worms, sometimes some Doritos too!

However, too many of the times I've tried to lose weight, I've completely banned myself from those yummy indulgences. Now I have learned (after MANY times of failing lol) to just let myself have a few of whatever it is I want, and really cherish every little bite and taste bud explosion haha.

I just do my best not to overeat, but I forgive myself when my self control slips and I do it anyway. Self love is key.
  • jadorade91
    jadorade91 Posts: 119 Member
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I did for a while...that stuffed feeling was comforting.

After almost 14 months of eating mindfully, I prefer a more empty feeling. I feel blah now if I overeat some of the foods I used to love yo stuff myself with.

Over time I believe you too will change....

This is a very good point. It doesn't feel natural when you first start eating moderately--you crave overeating and unhealthy food. But I can say after years of practicing, it comes completely naturally to me. Now I prefer eating healthier and lighter. I feel better when I don't overeat, and I can tell more quickly when I'm getting full and am able to stop at a good time. You just have to be patient with yourself!
  • Kir122
    Kir122 Posts: 6 Member
    LenGray wrote: »

I'm guessing that it has to do with being homeless for 3 years and eating very little during that time. After that, the feeling of being hungry would make me really upset and I would eat a ton. That was one of the issues that I've had to deal with this year before I could approach this weight loss thing seriously. As for the satisfaction... I'm pretty sure it's just an emotional thing since I don't feel hungry often on my current calorie setup.

That makes sense. Try to understand what is making you feel upset about being hungry. There's the hunger feeling, and then the thought you're having about being hungry that makes you feel upset. You're not homeless anymore, I assume you have more food now, so whatever ingrained belief you have about food needs to be recognized and worked with.
    Yeah, if you're not feeling hungry its definitely emotional. The question here is, what do you actually need? If you're not hungry, it's not to eat. Figure out what that need actually is and then you can figure out how to get THAT.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I miss overeating. I'm used to not feeling stuffed (after 4 years) but I do miss in and indulge it once in a while like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
  • 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    I miss being able to eat what I want, too. Sometimes I just want to get a pizza, or a pint of ice cream, or eat chips and dip without having to weigh out everything. It's tough, but it's what has to be done to get your health and body where you want them to be.
  • krrobin3727
    krrobin3727 Posts: 7 Member
    LenGray wrote: »

That makes sense. Try to understand what is making you feel upset about being hungry. There's the hunger feeling, and then the thought you're having about being hungry that makes you feel upset. You're not homeless anymore, I assume you have more food now, so whatever ingrained belief you have about food needs to be recognized and worked with.
    Yeah, if you're not feeling hungry its definitely emotional. The question here is, what do you actually need? If you're not hungry, it's not to eat. Figure out what that need actually is and then you can figure out how to get THAT.

Very inspiring. I needed to read that!