Is it possible that your body rejects unhealthy food?

2»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Never happens to me. I guess my body is just "dumb" and does not understand what kind of food I put in it. All it cares about is the energy in that food, be it some junk I haven't had in a few months or something I have every day like tomatoes.

Some people do have more sensitive stomachs that need some time to adjust to something they haven't had in awhile. My mom has problems with meat after she cuts it out for lent.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Well not really. Like exercise, which will cause DOMS if you haven't done it in awhile, your body will adapt to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    I can totally relate. I've been eating healthier for the past 3 months now and anytime I try to sneak in a cheat meal like a hamburger and fries or maybe a chicken nuggets the next day I usually don't feel myself. My stomach is very uneasy and I have no idea why. Also since I have been using almond milk the past few months, twice that I had a regular dairy milkshake my stomach was really upset. And I have never been lactose intolerant.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Individual foods aren't unhealthy (with a few exceptions.) Diets, taken as a whole are unhealthy.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I expect your body would reject ANY food it wasn't used to. And your body can get not-used-to a certain diet much faster than I originally believed. Whether it's healthy food or unhealthy food, I think it goes both ways. If tomorrow I ate nothing by veggies and lean meats, I probably wouldn't react well because I and my body are accustomed to lots of carbohydrates and less of these things.

Yep, this. It can go either way in terms of discomfort.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Any food you dont normally eat can do that. For example, I couldnt stomach avocados for the time I was pregnant, when I tried to eat them six months later, I would get very bad stomach aches. I eat them on the reg now and am fine. The same is true of any food I eat that I dont often eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    actually it is a standard biological process down to gut bacteria and gall bladder that is very easily reversible should you choose to

It doesn't mean the foods themselves are inherently unhealthy, or that a diet one has chosen to follow is specifically healthier but it does lend itself to vast misunderstandings of what's going on and extrapolations

Also I think a number of people read these kinds of phrases you know that come across as "oh I eat so healthily that my body now rejects xyz" as a condemnation of how they choose to eat. They perceive judgement in the whole "healthy eating movement"

Much better to just eat what you eat without labelling it IMO ..it's not healthy or unhealthy ...clean or unclean...good or bad

No food is at such polar opposites

Whereas an overall diet (everything you eat together) can be

If you saw my lunch you'd think clean eating, health food nut (it was yum) but feck it it's so I can fit in more beer and try my very first taco tonight ...at least that was the plan it ended up being over 700 calories of salads / smoothies / pulses and lean turkey

I'm still going for the tacos
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Too much fat in one sitting will make me ill and put me in serious pain, but that's because my gall bladder isn't with me any longer and fat digestion doesn't work nearly as well anymore. :wink:

Ditto. OP, perhaps you have gallstones. This is what happened to me after I made my first push towards healthier lifestyle. I had a major attack after months of not eating junk food when I had some fast food chicken strips on a road trip, and found out I had gallstones and needed to have my gallbladder removed.

Your pain symptoms sound very similar to mine. Maybe worth having checked out.
  • Nickisa24
    Nickisa24 Posts: 19 Member
    I remember my husband making me a burger about a month into my 'diet change'. He didn't but the lean beef to make the burgers. I took my first bite and all got a mouthful or greasy burger juice!! Ran to the toilet and threw up :(

I guess our tastes change and our body reacts.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Honestly its not because its "unhealthy" or "crappy". Whenever you don't eat a certain type of food for a long time and then you eat it once more you usually end up with digestive issues.

If you gave meat to a vegetarian they would have all sorts of stomach distress issues from it. Different ingredients in foreign cuisine that you aren't typically exposed to can have the same effect giving you digestive issues when you travel (aside from actual food poisoning). That doesn't make meat or foreign cuisine "unhealthy" or "crappy" it just means you don't regularly eat it and might have some issues digesting it when you are exposed to it or rexposed to it.

Most of the time in terms of reintroduction to "fast" foods or snack type foods from eating "clean" its more about having avoided sodium for a long time then eating a bunch of sodium rich foods all at once leads to excessive water retention and bloating.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    My tummy tells me when I've eaten too much fat for sure
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,969 Member
    jbee27 wrote: »
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Too much fat in one sitting will make me ill and put me in serious pain, but that's because my gall bladder isn't with me any longer and fat digestion doesn't work nearly as well anymore. :wink:

Ditto. OP, perhaps you have gallstones. This is what happened to me after I made my first push towards healthier lifestyle. I had a major attack after months of not eating junk food when I had some fast food chicken strips on a road trip, and found out I had gallstones and needed to have my gallbladder removed.

Your pain symptoms sound very similar to mine. Maybe worth having checked out.

What jbee27 said. Not wanting to scare you, but it may be worth checking out.

That said, I don't seem to have much reaction if I eat something(s) crazy, even in excess, though my daily diet is very whole-foods-y and I'm vegetarian.

For example, the entire order of deep-fried mushrooms I ate with dinner on Saturday, and the two 22-oz Killians alongside, didn't seem to cause any major distress, and I'm a now-tiny li'l ol' lady (60 y/o, 5'5", 120 pounds).

But I don't even have a gallbladder anymore. Had lots of digestive issues before they removed it last year, though.