INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    @psulemon what are you using to come up with the weekly deficit multiplier here:
    psulemon wrote: »

Calories out

((2.86 + 1.33 + 2.42)/3) = 2.203333
    ?
    Thanks.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I think you quoted part of the answer.

Average weight loss over the 3 weeks x 3500 calories.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited September 2016
    @psulemon what are you using to come up with the weekly deficit multiplier here:

Calories out

?
    Thanks.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, I think you quoted part of the answer.

Sorry, no, I wanted to know what each of the numbers 2.86 + 1.33 + 2.42 / 3 signifies.
    ETA, I get it now. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

Calories out

?
    Thanks.

Sorry, no, I wanted to know what each of the numbers 2.86 + 1.33 + 2.42 / 3 signifies.

OP's weekly weight loss (on prior page):

Weigh in dates:
    09/03 Sat: 103.40kg - 227.95 lbs.
    09/10 Sat: 102.10kg - 225.09 lbs. (- 2.86 lbs.)
    09/17 Sat: 101.50kg - 223.76 lbs. (- 1.33 lbs.)
    09/24 Sat: 100.40kg - 221.34 lbs. (- 2.42 lbs.)
    09/30 Fri:
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    The clouds cleared. Just too early in the morning for me! Thank you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    I've been reading lots of other other posts to try and work out what my maintenance calories would be and to be honest I feel as dumb as can be - it is all numbers and abbreviations and makes no sense at all to my un-mathematical and un-fitness-wise mind!

I am losing some weight on around 1200 calories per day - but I must say the more I find out the more confused I am on what is the right way to be doing it. I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight though and have to think about 'maintaining' - so should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now?

I would keep it up, since it's working, but understanding that you can eat more and lose if you want to, and see how it goes and how I felt. If you are exercising I'd eat back some calories, because 1200 is low, though. Like psulemon said, after a few more weeks you can start estimating maintenance calories. (I'd ignore calories out and just figure 3500*lost lbs + total calories eaten all divided by total number of days, but someone can walk you through that when you get there.)

I started with lots to lose and ate at 1250 (soon 1250 net when I got a handle on my exercise calories), and was fine -- cutting low was actually much easier for me with more to lose, although some have different experiences. Getting exercise calories and being able to eat more overall was helpful, though -- I think I would have had a hard time sustaining 1250 without them, as I like some more variety than they were allowing me. (Boredom or simply liking food is more of an issue for me than hunger.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I've been reading lots of other other posts to try and work out what my maintenance calories would be and to be honest I feel as dumb as can be - it is all numbers and abbreviations and makes no sense at all to my un-mathematical and un-fitness-wise mind!

I am losing some weight on around 1200 calories per day - but I must say the more I find out the more confused I am on what is the right way to be doing it. I have a long way to go before I hit my goal weight though and have to think about 'maintaining' - so should I just keep doing what I'm doing for now?

I go by this guideline for maintenance...

Sedentary (Minimal Exercise)
    Weight Maintenance: 12-14 x weight in lbs

Moderately Active (3-4 times per week)
    Weight Maintenance: 14-16 x weight in lbs

Very Active (5-7 times per week)
    Weight Maintenance: 16-18 x weight in lbs

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The absolute easiest way to work out your maintenance calories is to look at your current weight loss rate. Take the average number you are losing every week, then multiply it by 3500 for pounds or 7700 for kg. Then take the resulting number and divide it by 7, then add it to your average daily intake to get your maintenance.

Broken into steps, let's assume for this example that you are losing 0.5 kg per week and your average daily intake is 1500 calories.

1. Multiply lost weight by 7700 for kg: 0.5 x 7700 = 3850
    2. Divide by 7: 3850 / 7 = 550
    3. Add to daily intake: 1500 + 550 = 2050

2050 calories would be your average maintenance at your average current activity.
  • ChristinaOne21
    ChristinaOne21 Posts: 49 Member
    You guys continue to blow me away with how amazingly helpful you are and how you so generously give of your own knowledge and experience to me. I'm feeling humbled and more determined to keep it up with you all here supporting me. How do I share my food diary with others does anyone know?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    You guys continue to blow me away with how amazingly helpful you are and how you so generously give of your own knowledge and experience to me. I'm feeling humbled and more determined to keep it up with you all here supporting me. How do I share my food diary with others does anyone know?

If you're on a computer, all the way at the top under settings, go to Diary settings and at the bottom you can switch it between private, only visible to friends, open to everyone or password protected.
  • ChristinaOne21
    I just wanted to share this, because there's a lot of anti-science talk going on on this thread.

Scientific claims aren't "always changing" the way they're being talked about here; they are in a constant state of refinement..... Science "changing" is simply the addition of a modifier, and is Frequently the addition of SUPPORTING evidence for the already existing model.

Thank you so much for this as it does make sense. I am getting very educated on this journey :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I just wanted to share this, because there's a lot of anti-science talk going on on this thread.

Scientific claims aren't "always changing" the way they're being talked about here; they are in a constant state of refinement..... Science "changing" is simply the addition of a modifier, and is Frequently the addition of SUPPORTING evidence for the already existing model.

Thank you so much for this as it does make sense. I am getting very educated on this journey :)

You know why this time it's going to work for you long term, and you'll never have to diet again

Because of the knowledge, that boils down to the simple calories in and calories out equation

Because of beginning to recognise the difference between knowledge and fads

It's illuminating

And I do believe you've got this
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Big kudos for listening and taking it all in. We all had our "engrained' thoughts on how this all works when we got here. Those who learn and are willing to listen to the people who have done it tend to be the ones that stick around and become the successful people giving out the advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

Big kudos for listening and taking it all in. We all had our "engrained' thoughts on how this all works when we got here. Those who learn and are willing to listen to the people who have done it tend to be the ones that stick around and become the successful people giving out the advice.

This is true

I give you an insightful for your insight
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

This is true

I give you an insightful for your insight

Well, you get an awesome. Just for being...well...awesome. :)
  • ChristinaOne21
    [quote="If you're on a computer, all the way at the top under settings, go to Diary settings and at the bottom you can switch it between private, only visible to friends, open to everyone or password protected.

Thanks! I have changed my Diary setting to 'Friends' so if anyone wants to be my friend and watch how many spicy apple deep fried donuts with cream, salt & vinegar chips with dip, and bottles of wine I am not eating or drinking - then please 'befriend' me!

Being watched may also make me get off this lazy toosh and go to the gym instead of letting my membership go to waste :smiley:
  • Trnava
    Trnava Posts: 30 Member
    ...I think I piled on the weight subconsciously, as I knew our relationship was all wrong... I didn't want people to know about the physical and verbal abuse and eating was my solace. I have hidden behind my weight ever since with the attitude of accept me as I am, but have never really been happy with myself...

I wonder whether a lot of people's weight gain is attributed to what is going on with us mentally and emotionally?

I could have written that, and the answer is yes, a thousand times YES! I really thought I'd worked through everything before I started to lose weight this year, but some issues I thought I'd resolved pop up again in new ways from time to time. I've learned to give myself time to work through it again, and then keep going. All the science-based knowledge of how to lose weight does you no good if you aren't in a good-enough place mentally that you can decide to make good decisions.

At one point you asked about other benefits of IF. For me personally, a big one is that exercising self-control in that aspect of life greatly improves my self-control in others. Telling myself "I don't need a snack" at 9pm (because I really don't) or that "I can have a donut if there are any left when my eating window starts at 10am" (because I know I'm not hungry at 7am) has translated to only buying groceries that I wouldn't be embarrassed to let my doc see in my cart, even when my all-time favorite cookies are 50% off that week. And to heading out for daily walks because losing the way-too-close-to-being-called-cankles is more important to me long-term than being a couch cocoon - unless the Broncos game is on, of course ;).

I suppose that increased self-control is more a behavioral than strictly physiological benefit of IF, but healthier behaviors --> healthier physiology, and so far this is working for me.
  • ChristinaOne21
    ltmlaura wrote: »
    [quote="
    At one point you asked about other benefits of IF. For me personally, a big one is that exercising self-control in that aspect of life greatly improves my self-control in others.
    I suppose that increased self-control is more a behavioral than strictly physiological benefit of IF, but healthier behaviors --> healthier physiology, and so far this is working for me.

Thank you. I so agree. I feel like I have control over IF and finally accomplishing something to change my habits and that boosts up my confidence, motivation and willpower to take control of other areas of my life.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    The research regarding sugar that I spoke about earlier in this thread is featured on MFPs blog today if anyone wants to read it. Harvard study.
    The science is only as reliable as the intentions and honesty of the "respected" scientists and researchers.
    Sugar is fine. Then sugar causes cancer.
    Fat makes you fat, now fat is healthy.
    Eggs are bad. Eggs are good.
    Coffee is good. Coffee is bad.
    And no folks, I'm not talking about gravity or if the earth is flat.
    I'm talking about diet and nutrition.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    The research regarding sugar that I spoke about earlier in this thread is featured on MFPs blog today if anyone wants to read it. Harvard study.
    The science is only as reliable as the intentions and honesty of the "respected" scientists and researchers.
    Sugar is fine. Then sugar causes cancer.
    Fat makes you fat, now fat is healthy.
    Eggs are bad. Eggs are good.
    Coffee is good. Coffee is bad.
    And no folks, I'm not talking about gravity or if the earth is flat.
    I'm talking about diet and nutrition.

It's only that different if you do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GGn-E607E

As others have said, the actual scientific consensus rarely if ever completely throws something out of the window and starts claiming the opposite. You mustn't confuse news articles about single studies with science as a whole.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    I never said anything about throwing anything out of a window. I only suggested that posters read an article. An article that is now posted on MFPs blog.
    Are posters afraid to read an article? I don't think so, at least not the ones I know.
    My point was to be open to new concepts. To read all sides, and not just the studies that confirm what you already believe.
    Also, to question what you read, as you don't necessarily know why it was written, or the researcher's motivation.
    It's not a new concept. Reading and making up your own mind.