BREAKFAST

Hi all i have started dietting and lost half a stone in 2 weeks. pretty strict diet.However just discovered that my pot of porridge (sachet with hot water) that i take to work and eat being healthy (i thought) discovered has my whole sugar allowance and loads of carbs. I dont have time to make egg or anything that takes TIME as im always running late. Im thinking ill just have to eat NOTHING FOR BREAKFAST as i have googled seems all QUICK foods loaded with sugar. i would please ask does anyone else have this problem. WHAT CANI EAT FOR BREAKFAST??

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Are you low carbing?
  • Sued0nim
    Pot of 0% Greek yogurt with berries
    Do you have a microwave and fridge at work? Make scrambled eggs in a bowl (with veg/ham/cheese)

Sachets of oat so simple are fewer than 135 calories when made with water ...if you're not on low carb don't worry about anything else
  • sarahann104
    sarahann104 Posts: 90 Member
    You can use "quick oats" or quickly blitz some normal oats to make your own sachets. Add the flavoring of your own choice. My kids love when I add apple, cinnamon and a little honey to theirs. And berries, we love them with berries.
  • wishingsize8back
    wishingsize8back Posts: 13 Member
    @sue Im not on low carb. just counting calories but all this sugar too is so bad in these instant things. can you microwave eggs? im so bad at cooking. what are quick oats sarah? alli want is something instant (ish) and low in sugar and fat :-(
  • Brenda_1129
    Brenda_1129 Posts: 56 Member
    I leave liquid egg whites at work and make them in the microwave when I get in. It generally takes 1-1 1/2 minutes in the microwave to make a healthy and filling breakfast.
  • sarahann104
    sarahann104 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm not sure of the US or other country terms. I'm in Australia. They're just the oats chopped up finer for faster cooking, 1 minute oats?
    I buy them already chopped up, but you can just put normal oats into a food processor and chop them a bit yourself.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    @sue Im not on low carb. just counting calories but all this sugar too is so bad in these instant things. can you microwave eggs? im so bad at cooking. what are quick oats sarah? alli want is something instant (ish) and low in sugar and fat :-(

Sugar is not bad. It's just sugar. Unless you have a medical condition.
  • courtcassiefit
    courtcassiefit Posts: 76 Member
    Do you have enough time to make a huge batch of something and have it for the week? I make bran muffins and have it with some yogurt/ fruit.

Overnight oats are also great!

INGREDIENTS
    1/3 cup rolled oats
    1/3 – 1/2 cup milk [depending on how thick you like it]
    1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 banana or 1/3 cup fresh fruit
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    Pinch kosher salt
    Pinch cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
    Stir everything together in a bowl. Place in fridge overnight. In the morning top with something crunchy and something with healthy fats – like nut butter or nuts.
  • Sued0nim

Then ignore sugar and carbs and focus on calories. Porridge with water and a dash of honey (and banana yum) is a good low cal breakfast

Yes you can make eggs in microwave you just need to be careful not to overcook ..I have egg whites every morning (I'm yolk intolerant) ..I microwave spinach, sliced mushroom with seasoning for 1 min, add 100g egg white plus triangle dairylea light 1 min, mash with fork, add chopped ham (if liquidy still another 10 secs) serve on toast with shredded cheddar and black pepper on top and large mug coffee on side ...under 280 cals
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    I always suggest waking up 15 minutes earlier to include a simple breakfast. A bit more than that if you want to spend time cooking something special.

I often have box cereals. Just pour a serving in a bowl and add milk (sugar optional). Sometimes I mix a bit of yogurt with it. Two slices of bread can be in the toaster while you're eating the cereal, then spread whatever you like on them. Finally a cup of tea or coffee.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    If you want eggs, you could also make them the night before and just heat them up for breakfast. I do that sometimes, when I know I won't have time to make breakfast. I generally throw together eggs, sliced mushrooms, cheese, and brown sugar ham. Scramble them all and it's amazing.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    yes you can microwave eggs. i put 1-2 in a coffee cup and wave for 30 seconds, look at it if needed hit it again for 30. i like mine soft so try not to over cook. could also hard boil ahead of time and take with you with a pc of tst or fruit.
  • wishingsize8back
    wishingsize8back Posts: 13 Member
    oh my gosh you are all so amazing and im so lazy and food uneducated with my pot of instant porridge:-( i will deffo try the microwave eggs i love eggs so much and they do fill me up. im on 900 calories a day and its a struggle with hunger :'(
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    There are tons of things you can prep in advance and freeze in individual portions for the week. Pinterest has lots of ideas. You control what goes into them. Steel cut oats. Eggs you bake in muffin tins. You can do an egg in a mug, I had one this morning with a chopped up piece of Canadian bacon, chopped bell peppers, chopped red onion and chopped fresh spinach. Mix it all together. Put in a mug sprayed with Pam, cover with a paper towel, cook in microwave for about 30 seconds, stir again and cook for another 10-15 seconds. I had it on a toasted sandwich thin. You can also do overnight oats in a jar, no cooking skills involved and can be eaten hot or cold. This stuff is really easy, no real cooking skills needed, but learning some basics will save you calories and money in the long run.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    oh my gosh you are all so amazing and im so lazy and food uneducated with my pot of instant porridge:-( i will deffo try the microwave eggs i love eggs so much and they do fill me up. im on 900 calories a day and its a struggle with hunger :'(

Why are you eating so little in calories? 1200 is the minimum.
  • Sued0nim

Bad calorie goal

Increase it

1200 minimum if short and sedentary
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    daniip_la wrote: »
    If you want eggs, you could also make them the night before and just heat them up for breakfast. I do that sometimes, when I know I won't have time to make breakfast. I generally throw together eggs, sliced mushrooms, cheese, and brown sugar ham. Scramble them all and it's amazing.

I do this every night before I goto bed. Then I just gotta pop it in the microwave, cook for 2 min, and VIOLA! You can put all kinds of things in it. I shred spinach, chop banana peppers, and mushrooms in it.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Do you have a crockpot? You can make steel cut oats in a crockpot overnight (add oats, milk, flavoring (i like to add chopped apples, cinnamon and a little maple syrup or brown sugar) Just grab a scoop on the way out of the house. Portion it into individual containers for the week so you have grab and go breakfast. You can also freeze it in small portions in a muffin tin then put in a freezer bag for storage. Add a little milk and microwave.

Hardboil eggs ahead of time (oven works great-350 for 25 minutes with each egg in the hollow of a muffin tin. then ice bath for rapid cooling.) I even peel mine all at once and store in an airtight container. Slice them up and put on a piece of avocado toast...Yum
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Then ignore sugar and carbs and focus on calories. Porridge with water and a dash of honey (and banana yum) is a good low cal breakfast

Yes you can make eggs in microwave you just need to be careful not to overcook ..I have egg whites every morning (I'm yolk intolerant) ..I microwave spinach, sliced mushroom with seasoning for 1 min, add 100g egg white plus triangle dairylea light 1 min, mash with fork, add chopped ham (if liquidy still another 10 secs) serve on toast with shredded cheddar and black pepper on top and large mug coffee on side ...under 280 cals

Ok this sounds YUM! And if really short on time maybe you could put this into a muffin tin and bake like the night before? Then you'd have this for several days already pre-made. Which is a win. Just add you some toast :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

How did you come up with 900? Did you fill in the MFP profile with your Weight, Height, Goal, and Activity Level? The system calculates your calorie target, and never gives a figure lower than 1200 calories per day. You'll definitely be hungry, and your body will be missing important nutrition.