Increasing Calories - What to expect & why you need patience...

Replies

• Jdkbs
    Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
    PLUMSGRL wrote: »
    I live in Georgia, so kinda know about this fella and his research:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KGB/is_6_5/ai_n6110816/

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Community/Expert-Q-A/How-does-starvation-versus-eating-fewer-calories-affect-fat-loss.aspx

The second link addresses the 300 v. 500 calorie deficit~

The second link doesn't seem to have the article. Do you have another link to this article? I would love to read it. Thanks
  • tj0861
    tj0861 Posts: 48 Member
    Soooo, still hanging out here and doing my EM2WL thing. Scale still stuck. Stayed at 1800 calories for a month or so, and since the little bit up wasn't coming back down, I thought I'd try a tiny cut. No changes. So should I stay at the cut for a while and see what happens, or do you think I cut too soon?
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    tj0861 wrote: »
    Soooo, still hanging out here and doing my EM2WL thing. Scale still stuck. Stayed at 1800 calories for a month or so, and since the little bit up wasn't coming back down, I thought I'd try a tiny cut. No changes. So should I stay at the cut for a while and see what happens, or do you think I cut too soon?

@tj0861

Is 1800 your estimated tdee?
  • tj0861
    edited September 2016
    @saranharm, yes, it is.
  • chellebelle272
    chellebelle272 Posts: 42 Member
    bump to read later
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    I know it seems counter intuitive, but could be that you need to increase if you haven't found your true TDEE yet.
    Try adding 50-100 calories (whichever you feel more comfortable with) and stay there for a month and see where you are then.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    As Ichel said, Im guessing you arent at tdee yet and need to increase. One month is not really a lot of time to truly be in a reset and to know exactly where your number should be.

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • tj0861
    edited September 2016
    So I should move back toward 1800 and get back in the holding pattern. Meanwhile, maybe I could begin to do some light work with weights?
    One interesting thing I've seen is that my HAIR is starting to regrow. Not scalp hair, but the eyebrows that had thinned to nearly nothing are thickening back up (and, of course, the underarm hair, though I could do without THAT!!!). I'm taking that as a sign of healing!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The comments are that 1800 was not truly your potential TDEE - so you did no reset. You ate at suppressed TDEE.

And while you'd think a deficit would mean some weight loss that entire time - not if your body suppressed your daily burn by making you move less and workout weaker.

When you lowered calories, your body just slowed down your daily burn to match because of under stress.

Now - if measurements went down slightly during reset and slight deficit from potential times, it could be you lost some fat while your body increased stress water weight - which just proves out body is still stressed out.
  • empressichel
    @tj0861
    Yes the hair growing back is a really good sign! That's great! Your body is happier already.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member

@ibtmas, how's the calorie increase working for you?
    @perk1960 how about you?

This journey needs patience and takes time for sure, but it's very rewarding. It's not a quick fix but it means not spinning wheels again and achieving ongoing results for life. Check the EM2WL site (www.eatmore2weighless.com) for support, inspiration and answers related to this journey. Also keep an eye on the Periscope live videos broadcast links that we have been posting on the forums.

Thanx for your concern! Was bit busy lately but stayed consistent on my strength workouts. I've stepped on 1600-1700 cals since last week but hav not seen much significant changes yet. After almost 20 to 25 days 1/2 inches go down but are back after few days. Weight has been stuck at 4lbs gain.i'm doing 4 strength workouts 40-45 mins alternating upper/ lower body using 8/10/20 lb weights and reps are 8/10/12 wherever feel challanging. One day is Hiit. I'm a mom at home with three kids and sometimes the workload exhausts me up. Somedays I feel feeble training hard while doing strength although i'm increasing my cals and some days are so overwhelming that i want to over do it. What are these energy burts?i'm trusting the process and sticking to it. U guys r amazingly helpfull!
  • empressichel
    @ibtmas Great update. Trusting the process is the best path but I know not always the easiest. Being a mom at home with 3 kids is a workout every day by itself! Hope you are able to find some down time for yourself.
    Love your profile pic! <3
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Good to hear back from you and that you are having such a positive attitude, @intmas!
    The truth is that with 3 kids and working out, you are still below your TDEE with 1600-1700 calories. Energy burts are amazing, you do need those to keep up with life.

Eats g more can be hard, physically and mentally. Keep increasing slowly, be consistent with your intake and workouts, you are doing an excellent job!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • rissaroo689
    rissaroo689 Posts: 3 Member
    Two weeks ago I increased from 1400 to 2000 daily and woke up yesterday with 2 lb loss. And another 1 lb today! Never going back.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Two weeks ago I increased from 1400 to 2000 daily and woke up yesterday with 2 lb loss. And another 1 lb today! Never going back.

That's awesome @rissaroo689

That's not what happened to me, which is a bummer (lol)- but life is still enjoyable with more food and more energy!
  • empressichel

Woo hoo! That's awesome! Body loves food. Can I quote this please @rissaroo689 ? It's just too good not to share!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • rissaroo689
    rissaroo689 Posts: 3 Member
    by all means!

thanks for starting this group!
  • empressichel
    by all means!

thanks for starting this group!

Thank you!
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Ok. Another question. Should i do a cardio or Hiit session once/twice a week while i'm increasing calories(doing a metabolic reset )or just stick with strength?
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    edited September 2016
    It's definitely up to you, how much time you have and what do you like to do.
    Cardio is not mandatory, but can be very helpful to manage stress and loosen up the body after a lifting day. For fat loss, a short HIIT session could be added in the end of your lifting session, once or twice a week (for a few weeks only). Some light steady cardio can be done in the days in between lifting.

Just make sure if you add more exercise to also add more calories to support it. Listen to your body and make sure you take breaks to rest and recover.
    This is a great article on how much cardio for fat loss: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-much-cardio-for-fat-loss/
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL