The problem with science

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

The only thing I would add to this is another panel where 10 years later people smuggly point out that science was wrong all along and new findings show that A doesn't actually cause B like all the scientists were claiming 10 years ago (not realizing that the science never actually made that claim in the first place, the media and general public made that claim).

And to that, I add this rant I had a few days ago on another post:

Scientific claims aren't "always changing" the way they're being talked about here; they are in a constant state of refinement. We're not going to find out tomorrow that the sun revolves around the earth. It's just not going to happen. We may find out that it doesn't do this EXACTLY how we thought it does, but it still doesn't revolve around the earth. And that's no support for the idea that because "Science is always changing" that science is somehow unreliable or a waste of time. Science RARELY just up and changes it's mind on a set of facts. When science "changes" what it's doing is refining the statement it has made to be clearer, more correct, more accurate. But the basis of that statement remains true. We knew atoms existed before we could actually see them, and when we could finally see them, we confirmed a few things we believed about them as well as ADDED information that we didn't formerly have. But we didn't find out we were totally wrong and atoms do not in fact exist. We just found out more information about their existence That's what "science is always changing" really means. Not that we're gonna find out tomorrow the earth really was flat after all, but that maybe rather than perfectly spherical, it's a little oblong. Science changes by adding information to already existing bodies of facts, modifying them a LITTLE, not changing their minds entirely. The scientific method is the greatest tool we have for understanding the world around us. If there are errors it is self correcting. The only thing that will ever prove a scientific finding wrong is just better science.

When you read a "Shocking new discovery made by scientists!" in the paper, you're not hearing the Facts. You're not hearing something that is in line with the current model commonly accepted by the scientific community. You're hearing an over-stated, overblown, exaggerated all to hell HYPOTHESIS. The hypothesis is what the papers and magazines print because it's interesting. When a scientists says "hey I wonder if the coffee is what's killing them? Let's test that" the magazine reports "Coffee is killing us all! A shocking new study says that drinking coffee may be the reason you're fat and gonna die of heart disease!". That article may have NOTHING at all to do with the study, because what sells papers is that headline. The Hypothesis makes for the most interesting read, and science editors gotta make money, so that's what makes it into the article. Not the 30 following studies showing how the first study was totally flawed. Not the actual scientist who ran the study saying "but hey wait, I only tested 30 people, and even then there's a margin of error, and more importantly, I was trying to see if coffee is killing specifically this subset of people who consume fewer calories due to coffee, and specifically, those who are already underweight and at risk for X". When you see "Science is changing all the time" you're seeing *hypotheses* changing. Which they're supposed to do. What changes all the time (again, by design) are hypotheses -- not theories (a grouping of FACTS that describe one model of how X works, in science, theory means something very different from how we use it in the common tongue), and certainly not facts. A hypothesis is, after all, an early part of the scientific method; a tentative explanation for something which is then tested by experimentation and more observation. And science doesn't make claims about hypotheses, it TESTS them. Then, if the hypothesis can be repeatedly, rigorously tested and proven over and over and over again, then and only then, it can be accepted as a truthful statement about reality.

And most importantly of all, if you come across a "scientific claim" that seems to completely contradict an existing model (body of facts) stop for a minute and nerd the heck out of that claim. It is incredibly rare, so rare we're talking almost never (think back to Galileo), for some single new piece of evidence in some single study to completely change an already existing scientific model of reality. No one is gonna come up with anything tomorrow that will completely disprove CICO. All that will happen is that that portion of thermodynamics might be refined to be EVEN MORE accurate than it already is. We're REALLY SURE the earth revolves around the sun. Positive. If tomorrow something in science "changes" that, it will only "change" it in such a way as to make it more accurate than it already is. "The earth revolves the sun AND... BY... BECAUSE..." Science "changing" is simply the addition of a modifier, and is Frequently the addition of SUPPORTING evidence for the already existing model.

It should also be noted that the tools and techniques used by scientist continue to evolve which will provide us with more available and more accurate information.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Some good points here.... and a lot of snarkiness (to be expected). Not going to argue the points because everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are, of course, all at different stages on this journey. Would certainly be interesting to see photos of the bodies on threads like this though. Not that having a great physique is necessarily a guarantee of anything but it's certainly interesting to see the physiques behind the opinions. In the fitness world there seems to be a baffling inverse correlation behind having a great physique and training "scientifically". After all these years, I admit that I still can't figure out exactly why... although I have some ideas.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Well, it's nice to see (almost)everyone agree ;)
  • Vortex88
    auddii wrote: »
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    Some good points here.... and a lot of snarkiness (to be expected). Not going to argue the points because everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are, of course, all at different stages on this journey. Would certainly be interesting to see photos of the bodies on threads like this though. Not that having a great physique is necessarily a guarantee of anything but it's certainly interesting to see the physiques behind the opinions. In the fitness world there seems to be a baffling inverse correlation behind having a great physique and training "scientifically". After all these years, I admit that I still can't figure out exactly why... although I have some ideas.

And that's entertaining coming from the faceless user.

The irony wasn't lost on me when I posted it haha
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

Inverse correlation between between great physique and science? So the heavier you are, the more you believe in science?
  • psuLemon
    usmcmp wrote: »

I support CICO (to include eating "junk food" as it fits your goals). I support science. Here are some pictures of my physique, including a picture from when I joined MFP in 2011.

0ylmrd3tux8c.jpg

6uyy9bfsny11.jpg
    afmdpatk2gs2.jpg

And you are a record hold in what... power lifting?
  • Vortex88
    usmcmp wrote: »

I support CICO (to include eating "junk food" as it fits your goals). I support science. Here are some pictures of my physique, including a picture from when I joined MFP in 2011.
    2011, body by ignorance:
    0ylmrd3tux8c.jpg
    Body by science and CICO:
    6uyy9bfsny11.jpg
    afmdpatk2gs2.jpg

WOW!!! Looking amazing
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    So we need to post pictures of ourselves (before and after) to prove what exactly? ;)
  • psuLemon
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Everyones entitled to their own opinion but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. Thats what Science as a philosophy is about.

The problem is not with science, its with the opinions given about scientific findings by the media which is what actually reaches the general public.

I am with the mad scientist on this one. :wink:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    In the fitness world there seems to be a baffling inverse correlation behind having a great physique and training "scientifically". After all these years, I admit that I still can't figure out exactly why... although I have some ideas.

So basically you are trolling then?
  • psuLemon
    And BTW, some of us have private pictures for a variety of reason. I already get enough threats, I don't need someone reverse imaging my photo to give them more ammo. The people I want to see my photo's have them.