40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Tapout XT2: Leg Extreme done this morning, the warm up on it's own was a very difficult workout! Trashed legs and lower body altogether with bands and balls. Awesome workout!
    will be re-visiting Tapout XT and Tapout XT2 more often.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    @Djproulx , gonna be my first one so excited and very nervous. I think being such a "fun" course that will help. I don't think I will have a problem finishing...I want to do well in my AG so we will see how it goes.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    4htlfiah2yo2.png
    13.png 72.7K
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    4htlfiah2yo2.png

We have very similar recovery pacing at the HM distance. ;)
  • Djproulx
    @Djproulx , gonna be my first one so excited and very nervous.

Haha - That's why we do this, isn't it?

If you've only done a Sprint distance triathlon previously, you're probably realizing that the 70.3 race is a BIG step up in training. I'm guessing that you are either working with a coach or following a Half Iron Training plan, so you should be fine as far as your fitness in the 3 disciplines. The good news is that with coaching, training plans and lots of data from your devices, you can really measure your improvement and manage the cumulative training load so you don't overtrain.

With that said, race day is all about execution. To me, the two key issues that affect race day performance are NUTRITION and PACING. You've probably got a nutrition/hydration plan in mind, particularly for the bike segment. The more practice rides/runs you can make using the fuels you'll consume on the course, the better.

As far as pacing, I don't know your strengths, but the 70.3 distance is ALL about bike fitness and how it sets you up for a good run. If you're bike training with a Power Meter, great, since you'll know your FTP and can just keep the WATTS where they need to be. If you don't train with Power (like me) then you need to really manage your HR and effort on the bike. Its SO easy to get into a chase with cyclists who are riding faster than you. Overbiking will lead to a 13.1 mile DEATH MARCH instead of a run. :) The best advice my coach gave me prior to my first HIM was this: "Remember, this is not a bike race. Therefore, ride the bike split that you SHOULD do, not the bike split that you COULD do."

Anyway, enough geekiness from me about racing. I LOVE the 70.3 distance. Its a very tough distance, but there are typically big crowds, lots of camaraderie among athletes and a huge sense of satisfaction when you complete the course. Just remember to smile as they take your picture crossing the finish line!

• johnnylloyd0618
    @Djproulx I have done some international distances but its the "size" of the event that is intimidating (lol, this isn't your neighborhood TRI). But then again, I still get butterflies before a turkey trot with my 5 year old, lol. I manage my hr, and have really learned to race myself instead of the crowd, have crashed and burned too many times. I know this will be a little different given the adrenaline rush. What I have been doing is getting comfortable at around a 40 mile ride and coming off to a 6 mile run. I have noticed if I stay around 18 mph on the ride I do well versus the sprints I can hold 23 and be good. I just have to stay focused and race my race at my level and not get caught up in the hype.
  • Djproulx
    @Djproulx I have done some international distances but its the "size" of the event that is intimidating (lol, this isn't your neighborhood TRI). But then again, I still get butterflies before a turkey trot with my 5 year old, lol. I manage my hr, and have really learned to race myself instead of the crowd, have crashed and burned too many times.

I hear you loud and clear. At my last one, the IM 70.3 Timberman race, there were 2600 swimmers in 11 waves starting with the Pro Men, then Pro Women, then 9 waves of AG athletes spaced 3 minutes apart, and every one of us were aiming for that first turn buoy. I was in the wave #4 swim start with 200 other crazy old guys, right in the middle of the mayhem and I'm a lousy swimmer. While standing on the beach before the start, I checked my HR and it was already over 100BPM. So yeah, I understand butterflies. :)

Once the race starts, you'll just trust your training. It sounds like you have the training down and can really crank it out on the bike. I'm guessing you'll do some 60 mile rides as you reach your peak training volume. That will give you the confidence to know how hard to push during the race. (eg. I biked at 20MPH for miles 1-30, then dropped back to 16MPH from mile 31-56 to prep my legs for the run. Ave was 18mph)

Looking forward to your race report.
  • kayfhoward1
    kayfhoward1 Posts: 63 Member
    Ok guys, question. My calorie goals for the day are 1340. I am at 1248 with 502 exercise calories. Is it best to always reach at least the minimum? I know you shouldn't go below 1000 for nutrition reasons but am wondering if that plays a part in the base goal as well. The reason I'm asking is I'm just not hungry and I don't want to eat something "just because" but if it's gonna hurt me in the long run I'm sure I can find something to get me that extra boost.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Finally a day a the gym after 2 days of cycling! The weather looks a bit unstable for tomorrow so maybe gym again. I enjoy lifting, it makes me feel good about myself but needs to balance with the 2 wheels as well lol
  • johnnylloyd0618
    Run 1.3 miles. Main set: 8 x 75 sprints, RI = 20 seconds. | Run 1 mile easy, 6 x 800m at 5K race pace with 400m jog recoveries, 1 mile easy. total around 7.25 @ 70:03, good way to start the day.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Mowed yesterday. That was the without
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    P90X: Shoulders and Arms
  • shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2016
    Feet hurt from getting in the all of the walking. Decided to do a DVD based workout. I did walk away the pounds and was actually impressed, considering my fitness level (I know some of you run marathons). However, prior to it, I did a 30 ballet stretch DVD and it kicked my butt. Had no idea I was that stiff. I'll definitely do that again though. Stretched it all out.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X X2 Shoulders + Arms & X2 Ab Ripper"=Done!
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    Yoga done
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,919 Member
    i remain impressed, sdereski! You "feel good" and that is THE biggest WIN!