Are you afraid of fats?

So, in the UK we are scared and pushed into believing that fats = weight gain and in order to lose weight, we must succumb to low fat options/keep our fat intake down.

Have you seen this too? Ever fallen into this before realizing its a myth?

If you know of people trying to lose weight by lowering fat (only) - would you try to educate them?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Yes, I fell for it, and I usually warn people against it when I think it's called for.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    I enjoy all the fats...in moderation like everything else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    selina884 wrote: »
    So, in the UK we are scared and pushed into believing that fats = weight gain and in order to lose weight, we must succumb to low fat options/keep our fat intake down.

Have you seen this too?

Yes, sort of. I don't think I've ever seen it said that "fat = weight gain", but I have seen low fat diets recommended quite a lot.
    Ever fallen into this before realizing its a myth?
    Not sure how to answer this. Since fat is the thing I tend to overeat the most I do try to keep my fat intake down. It's not as if fat can't make me fat.
    If you know of people trying to lose weight by lowering fat (only) - would you try to educate them?
    Only if it was someone close enough that I'd know they would appreciate the advice. Otherwise I would not stick my nose in.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    It's not eating fats that'll make you fat, it's eating too much calories that'll do it. However, being lax with your fat intake will certainly contribute to the latter.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited September 2016
    I grew up during the US low fat craze. So, yes, I was "afraid" of fat for a long time. Whenever I'd reduce calories, I'd target fat (the whole 1 g of fat is 9 calories so it's the easiest place to cut thing was beat into our heads). Unfortunately carbs make me hungry, so eating a higher carb, lower fat diet was disastrous for me. I felt hungry all the time and couldn't stick with a deficit long enough, or cut low enough, to get where I wanted to be. Out of desperation I tried a low carb high fat diet. Brilliant! I was satisfied on fewer calories so I dropped all the weight I wanted to lose, plus some I had no idea I even could lose (for a total of 50lb loss), without changing activity levels and without going hungry. Needless to say, I don't fear fat anymore! I get about 60-70% of my calories from fat these days and have maintained a healthy weight for almost three years now. That said, I don't try to talk anyone out of what they are doing - if it is working, great; if not, they might ask for my advice... Or not, and that's okay too. You do you, let other people take care of themselves. I wasn't ready to try a different approach until I was ready. Had someone tried to talk me out of lower fat, higher fiber eating ten years ago I wouldn't have listened.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    I did low fat in the 90's and lost weight, but it was not a sustainable way of eating for me. I was always hungry and felt deprived. I eventually gained all the weight back and then some. I was able to lose over 60 pounds this time and I rarely felt hungry and I don't feel deprived either . I mostly focus on getting enough protein and I just let fats and carbs fall wherever they fall. I eat foods i like and stick to my calorie goal. I have only been at maintenance for a couple of months, but I feel confident that I will be able to continue this WOE forever.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I eat lots of fats and you body needs fat too. I try to get mine from tree nuts, guacamole and such but avoid anything dipped in boiling oil.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Wish I could eat as much fat as I wanted.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Only reason I choose lower fat items is because it also lowers the calories. Otherwise I try to get my daily fat macro goals in, even if I have to eat more fatty foods.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Nope.
    I grew up during the 80s low-fat craze too, but the information that not all fat is all bad was always tehre if you knew where to look. My mom nixed margarine when I was a kid because it was bad fat, but we ate butter and didn't worry too much about it.

And I remember learning "fat carries flavor" when people started talking about "sauteeing" in the newfangled "nonstick" pans (yes, I remember when it was the hot new thing!), and that you need some fat to make things taste better and to be able to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins.

I remember reading essays about how the "ALL FAT IS BAD" message was chosen by public health officials because someone decided that "FAT IS COMPLICATED BUT NECESSARY" was too complicated a message to try to explain.

I know that fat carries a lot of calories per a smaller amount of volume, so I try not to overdo it and blow my allotment. But I'm not afraid of it and I cook with it daily.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited September 2016

Have you seen this too? Ever fallen into this before realizing its a myth?

I'm afraid of my peanut butter leaving me if I don't show commitment to eating it every day... so no, I am not scared of fat!

And I'm in the uk

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016

Fats in general or saturated fat. I haven't really heard fats demonized since the '90s (except as part of a much broader set of recommendations like by the whole food plant-based folks). My understanding is that the recommendations to limit sat fat for health are still in place, and, yeah, I keep an eye on them, although it fits how I eat anyway.

I'd be kind of surprised if the UK is still all gung ho about low fat being always good and fat being always bad, but then I was surprised by the results of the Brexit vote too, so my being surprised isn't saying much.

I never fell into a belief that fat was bad, because I only dieted once before this time and it was in the early 2000s, and by then the low fat thing no longer seemed to be current advice in the US, at least not in the stuff I read in trying to understand how weight loss and nutrition worked.

If they were interested in my opinion or asked my advice, sure. I wouldn't if they didn't ask for my opinion (and weren't making inaccurate claims on a message board for discussion of nutrition and dieting).