Is it ineffective to run at night?

Running in the morning makes me uncomfortable, although I have depression and it's good to start the day w a run bc it improves my mood but people make me hella uncomfortable when i see them at the track and I know it's bad but I can't help it I can't make myself go out and run its hard already so I dont want to feel uncomfy too. Is it ineffective to weight loss to run at like 9-10pm?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Why would it be ineffective?
  • iambuttons
    iambuttons Posts: 4 Member
    I only run at night. I hate morning runs. Definitely effective!
  • linlinjay
    linlinjay Posts: 66 Member
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    You need to get reflective gear because night drivers are careless.

The other concern is safety if you have to cross seedy neighbouhoods or just a lot of woods.

Headlamps can also be useful.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    It doesn't matter when you run, it only matters the amount of calories that you burn when you run. It depends on how motivated you are at any given time of the day, your level of workout intensity you're able to put in and whether or not it affects your sleeping habits. Some people find it harder to sleep after an intense workout, which could effect your recovery and the quality of your next run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    The only possible downside I can think of to running at 9 or 10 at night ( way past my bedtime....) is that it may interfere with your sleep a little depending on how quickly you're able to wind down from the activity. Other than that, if you're more comfortable go for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Logically, why would it be ineffective?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Run whenever you want. Whenever it is convenient for you. It all counts.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Why would the time of day matter at all???? I don't understand.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Something I read not too long ago.. is that running first thing in a.m. a persons risk for heart attack or stroke are the highest "in the day".. again its just something I read.. I run at 5:30 am, so I am not worried even at my age.

Now some people have more stamina and focus in the evening and some do not. I am one that does not. I have run in the evening once (5K race) and it had no effect on me that I noticed other than waiting all day to exercise..
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Calories can't tell time.

My favorite time to run is late at night, even past midnight.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2016
    linlinjay wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    Do people ever read out loud the questions that they ask on these boards?
    No need to be rude, i've read many articles that say that it's the best thing to run in the mornings, i'm just making sure lol

But if you hate running in the mornings and it makes you so uncomfortable, it would make you a lot more likely to miss/skip workouts. Ask yourself which would be more effective: Running at the theoretical "best" time of the day 1-2 times a week (and being stressed out and hating every second of it), or running at the time which works best for you 4-5 times per week?

Worrying about "optimal" exercise times is majoring in the minors. It may matter slightly for elite competitive athletes trying to wring out every last bit of their performance potential, but it means absolutely nothing to the average person trying to lose weight. Consistency matters a lot more than anything else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    Do people ever read out loud the questions that they ask on these boards?
    No need to be rude, i've read many articles that say that it's the best thing to run in the mornings, i'm just making sure lol

As an FYI: the likely reason for this is probably because most people are 'too tried' at the end of they, have more obligations pulling then away last minute or they just down right don't have the will power to make the decision to get up at that point and go do it. So running in the morning ensures or more likely to ensure success and bonus gives you good happy endorphins for the rest of the day. Helps wake you up and get you motivated for the day.

Personally I hate workout out I'm the morning.
    I love getting it done early sure but my lifts suck and I hate waking up. So I lift at night. For someone lacking a consistent pattern, on an off day they are more likely to throw in the towel rather than go do their thing. So it's not about 'efficiency' so much as likely hood to achieve CONSISTENCY.

good luck running and please where the proper PPE so you don't become a hood ornaments!
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2016
    s it ineffective to weight loss to run at like 9-10pm?
    It doesn't matter if you run in the morning or at night. You'll still burn calories.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Make sure to watch for uneven ground if it's dark, as well as wearing light colors and reflective clothing if possible.