13»

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    dykask wrote: »
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Last year, I lost 56lbs in four months with absolutely no cardio or weight training at all.

This summer, the scale barely budges on diet alone.

I think you don't need exercise (technically), but but some exercise along with cardio is good preventing plateaus.

Exercise doesn't prevent plateaus and in-fact you can gain weight from exercise pretty easily. I spent two years working out harder and harder. I got a bit slimmer but gained 2kg (5lbs) over those years. Many days I was doing 1000+ kc workouts.

When you workout you build lean body mass and have a host of other changes in your body. It is all generally good, but exercise can be counter-productive if weight loss is your goal.

* In the first 12 months or so of working out, mostly short HIIT type workouts I lost about 18 kg (30 lbs). Often my workout was only 10 to 15 minutes. My waist dropped down to about 109 cm. (Probably from 130 cm?)

* When my weight loss stalled I really pored on the exercise, partly because I was in good enough shape to do it. I gained about 1 kg per year but my waist slowly dropped about 3 cm / year. I really suffered from hunger too, it was actually pretty horrible.

* About six months ago I cut most added sugar in my diet and my weight plunged about 1.5 kg / month. My waist went from 103 cm to 86 cm. The drop is still on-going but I've been adding complex carbs and Omega-3 fats to my diet. I've also started using some smaller eating windows making sure I have 12 to 16 hours a day where I'm not eating. Because of injuries I've backed off of exercise at least temporary but I still maintaining. The best part is my hunger these days is very mild when I have it. If you are fighting hunger you might not be working with your body.

So for me, fat loss isn't just about calorie reduction and exercising more. In fact that simply stopped working for me. What is working is:
    * Avoiding sugar and eating heathier foods. I don't even worry about overeating now, I just eat enough to be full.
    * Giving my body a good rest between feeding.
    * Constantly mixing things up a bit. (Changing diet, exercise patterns.)

My primary goal now is to lower my insulin levels and hopefully reduce insulin resistance I may have. Lower insulin works out to having lower body fat. There are more hormones involved, insulin is just the driver with fat storage. While you need insulin to build muscles you don't need much of it. Most of us in this modern world have way too much that that can lead to Type 2 Diabetes and a host of other metabolic issues. Metabolic diseases like T2D are now the leading cause of death worldwide.

Exercise has amazing positive impacts on lean body mass, cardiovascular function and hormone levels. It is a very good thing, but it isn't the main driver in weight loss. What you eat and when you eat it are probably much more important for weight loss. It doesn't matter that much if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals, it is just giving your body time to recover from eating. Probably everyone should have at least 12 hours of not eating a day. That used to be standard in the US when I was a kid and back in the 1960's people were a lot slimmer then in the US.

Yes when asleep until next meal

Sure if you sleep 12 hours a night. In the modern world, many people sleep less than 7 hours a night. That causes multiple problems.
    * It doesn't let your fasting levels of hormones get as low as they should be.
    * It greatly increases cortisol which in turn causes more insulin to be produced.

Not enough sleep can definitely destroy one weight loss efforts.

My fitbit says I sleep 5 hours. I don't sleep well haven't in years. But from the time I have dinner to the next time I eat @12 hours pass
    Anyway I find if I stick to my calories I lose or maintain if I don't I put on weight

In fact for about 5% of people that diet, calorie reduction seems to work well long term. Most of us have to struggle with it. You should count your self lucky instead of just implying that others are lazy gluttons.

I never said that at all remember I have been obese and I absolutely hate exercise. I have to force myself to do it. I only do it as I am of an age I don't want any bone issues.
    I am cancelling my gym membership next week funny enough but not for reasons above. But somehow I will make it work and go back to exercising at home.

Now what ever guilt you are feeling don't try and push it on me.

I am not special no one is special i just keep trying so not to pile it all back on.

Don't push it on you? You did the posting storm. 3 or 4 post about one post?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Last year, I lost 56lbs in four months with absolutely no cardio or weight training at all.

This summer, the scale barely budges on diet alone.

I think you don't need exercise (technically), but but some exercise along with cardio is good preventing plateaus.

Exercise doesn't prevent plateaus and in-fact you can gain weight from exercise pretty easily. I spent two years working out harder and harder. I got a bit slimmer but gained 2kg (5lbs) over those years. Many days I was doing 1000+ kc workouts.

When you workout you build lean body mass and have a host of other changes in your body. It is all generally good, but exercise can be counter-productive if weight loss is your goal.

* In the first 12 months or so of working out, mostly short HIIT type workouts I lost about 18 kg (30 lbs). Often my workout was only 10 to 15 minutes. My waist dropped down to about 109 cm. (Probably from 130 cm?)

* When my weight loss stalled I really pored on the exercise, partly because I was in good enough shape to do it. I gained about 1 kg per year but my waist slowly dropped about 3 cm / year. I really suffered from hunger too, it was actually pretty horrible.

* About six months ago I cut most added sugar in my diet and my weight plunged about 1.5 kg / month. My waist went from 103 cm to 86 cm. The drop is still on-going but I've been adding complex carbs and Omega-3 fats to my diet. I've also started using some smaller eating windows making sure I have 12 to 16 hours a day where I'm not eating. Because of injuries I've backed off of exercise at least temporary but I still maintaining. The best part is my hunger these days is very mild when I have it. If you are fighting hunger you might not be working with your body.

So for me, fat loss isn't just about calorie reduction and exercising more. In fact that simply stopped working for me. What is working is:
    * Avoiding sugar and eating heathier foods. I don't even worry about overeating now, I just eat enough to be full.
    * Giving my body a good rest between feeding.
    * Constantly mixing things up a bit. (Changing diet, exercise patterns.)

My primary goal now is to lower my insulin levels and hopefully reduce insulin resistance I may have. Lower insulin works out to having lower body fat. There are more hormones involved, insulin is just the driver with fat storage. While you need insulin to build muscles you don't need much of it. Most of us in this modern world have way too much that that can lead to Type 2 Diabetes and a host of other metabolic issues. Metabolic diseases like T2D are now the leading cause of death worldwide.

Exercise has amazing positive impacts on lean body mass, cardiovascular function and hormone levels. It is a very good thing, but it isn't the main driver in weight loss. What you eat and when you eat it are probably much more important for weight loss. It doesn't matter that much if you eat 1 meal or 10 meals, it is just giving your body time to recover from eating. Probably everyone should have at least 12 hours of not eating a day. That used to be standard in the US when I was a kid and back in the 1960's people were a lot slimmer then in the US.

Yes when asleep until next meal

Sure if you sleep 12 hours a night. In the modern world, many people sleep less than 7 hours a night. That causes multiple problems.
    * It doesn't let your fasting levels of hormones get as low as they should be.
    * It greatly increases cortisol which in turn causes more insulin to be produced.

Not enough sleep can definitely destroy one weight loss efforts.

My fitbit says I sleep 5 hours. I don't sleep well haven't in years. But from the time I have dinner to the next time I eat @12 hours pass
    Anyway I find if I stick to my calories I lose or maintain if I don't I put on weight

In fact for about 5% of people that diet, calorie reduction seems to work well long term. Most of us have to struggle with it. You should count your self lucky instead of just implying that others are lazy gluttons.

I never said that at all remember I have been obese and I absolutely hate exercise. I have to force myself to do it. I only do it as I am of an age I don't want any bone issues.
    I am cancelling my gym membership next week funny enough but not for reasons above. But somehow I will make it work and go back to exercising at home.

Now what ever guilt you are feeling don't try and push it on me.

I am not special no one is special i just keep trying so not to pile it all back on.

Don't push it on you? You did the posting storm. 3 or 4 post about one post?

Temporarily ignoring user whilst upset
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    You can and its possible but I advice that you try to find some time for some cardio , especially when you reach your goal and switch to maintenance. During maintenance , I am allowed 1600 calories without exercise , I do 45 mins of cardio and have 2000 calories :) So It does make a difference in my opinion

I agree with this... but at the same time, exercise makes you hungrier, so...

It depends a lot on your general activity too, whether you're just sitting all day or walking around.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    I was a kid back in the 60's.

I can assure you that intermittent fasting was not the standard.

Breakfast bright and early in the day before school was the standard. We burned off all our energy playing outside all day, including recess periods and during lunch.

BACK ON TOPIC:

Diet drives weight loss, exercise drives mental health, cardio vascular health, and body composition.
  • dykask
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You can and its possible but I advice that you try to find some time for some cardio , especially when you reach your goal and switch to maintenance. During maintenance , I am allowed 1600 calories without exercise , I do 45 mins of cardio and have 2000 calories :) So It does make a difference in my opinion

It depends a lot on your general activity too, whether you're just sitting all day or walking around.

Keep mind too that the calories are just an estimate. It is an estimate of your RMR, and estimate of what is in the food, and exercise is a real estimate. If you are good a physics and calculate how much work you actually do, you might be surprised how few calories are actually needed.
  • dykask
    I was a kid back in the 60's.

I can assure you that intermittent fasting was not the standard.

Breakfast bright and early in the day before school was the standard.

Snacking wasn't common at least where I grew up. Supper was early and then nothing until breakfast. That was pretty standard. Everyone dose intermittent fasting to some degree, most of us just call it sleeping.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2016
    Everyone I knew had an after school snack. At least some fruit. We always had our dessert well after dinner, shortly before bed. Like a little treat. With a glass of milk. This was common with our friends as well.

Also, back on topic:

Why do you presume the OP is talking about OVER exercising?

Exercise doesn't imply overexercising.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Everyone I knew had an after school snack. At least some fruit. We always had our dessert well after dinner, shortly before bed. Like a little treat. With a glass of milk. This was common with our friends as well.

Also, back on topic:

Why do you presume the OP is talking about OVER exercising?

Exercise doesn't imply overexercising.

exactly, sometimes i feel people believe that exercising entails being in the gym all day long. also you dont even have to go to the gym if you dont want to.
    When i started out i did the 30 day shred. it was 20 mins every day, and thats all i did. It was more than enough for me. That is definitely not overexercising.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

Keep mind too that the calories are just an estimate. It is an estimate of your RMR, and estimate of what is in the food, and exercise is a real estimate. If you are good a physics and calculate how much work you actually do, you might be surprised how few calories are actually needed.

Ok.. what? I'm confused. I've been maintaining my 78-80 pounds loss for over 2 years so I think I have a pretty good idea of how many calories are actually needed. That doesn't change the fact that being more active means that you can eat more without gaining weight.
  • dykask
    edited September 2016

Ok.. what? I'm confused. I've been maintaining my 78-80 pounds loss for over 2 years so I think I have a pretty good idea of how many calories are actually needed. That doesn't change the fact that being more active means that you can eat more without gaining weight.

So you have figured out what works for you. That is good, but it doesn't mean the same will work for someone else.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    Has anyone had success with weight loss without working out. I'm a full time student and work a full time job plus I do student teaching for school, so during the week I literally don't have any time.
    I could probably fit in two days on the weekend, but I'm curious if anyone has had success losing weight without exercising?

I don't call this weight loss success in any way. When I started working I was very stressed out and didn't ate a lot and yes I lost a lot of weight but that is really bad for your health and it was probably muscle mass.
  • Kati9408
    Kati9408 Posts: 67 Member
    And why do you want to be skinny fat ?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Always and for everyone, a calorie deficit leads to weight loss. For busy people such as OP, time for cooking and food prep is limited or nonexistent, so she'll be compromising her health goals by resourcing convenient cheap food. That's the worst case. The best case is that you use your weekend time to prepare meals for the coming week and keep your cold storage facility well-organized. Even in your busy jobs, you'll have access to a microwave oven.
    I haven't mentioned exercise. If you can succeed at living in a calorie deficit with food alone, you will lose weight.
    Some people don't believe they can and that's just a learning opportunity.