Improving flexibility for squats

When I squat I can't get quite low enough to get parallel with the ground. I'm pretty close but would like to gain the last few inches. Recommendations?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    If its flexibility issue , you can do things like yoga and stuff. I use the TRX suspension trainer almost daily to get low and stretch out all those muscles . If its a strength issue, you'll have to just work on form and getting strong.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    google 'agile 8'
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    I forget what they call them. But before your first set clasp your hands together under your chin and squat. Your elbows should be on the insides of your knees. You can also do this with a kettle bell. Also make sure your toes are pointed out a little. That release the hips.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Are you doing weighted or body weight squats? If weighted, try a couple body weight sets, emphasizing getting as low as possible. Are you stretching after your workout?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Check out "limber 11".
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm doing weighted squats as part of the 5X5 SL program. I do a quick warm up and stretch before hand, and my warm up includes unweighted squats (same squat depth as weighted). I haven't been stretching after my lifting is finished.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll google agile 8 and limber 11.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Here's my current squat depth. mfcdy5a99h24.jpg
    to6qch48xnp47f.jpg
    80r1kmeffbg8.jpg
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    It's unlikely that flexibility is preventing you from squatting all the way down. Try switching to a front squat or goblet squat.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    edited October 2016
    Pathman1 wrote: »
    When I squat I can't get quite low enough to get parallel with the ground. I'm pretty close but would like to gain the last few inches. Recommendations?

I have much the same problem, but I've noticed that on lighter days (I'm doing the AllPro routine), I'm comfortably getting lower, so I think my problem is lack of confidence in being able to get out of the squat on the heavy day. Maybe try backing off the weight a little bit and see if that allows you to get a bit lower, then concentrate on the depth before you increase the weight again?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Third world squats and goblet squats helped my flexibility enormously
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    You could have a pelvic tilt which could limit your movement. Check Google to figure out whether it's an anterior pelvic tilt or postior pelvic tilt. Or maybe that isn't even your problem. Check it out tho.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    A raised heel shoe and bringing up my hamstrings/glutes seemed to help me. I was beyond frustrated for a long time because I couldn't hit parallel, now I am well below that even on a "bad day."
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Following with interest as this is where I get "bottomed out" to. Can't seem to break this. Do I need to sit back more? I feel like I might but struggle with fear of falling back.

dfsoifz1sfsj.png
  • Sued0nim
    Are you high bar or low?

• subakwa
    Low - I hope!
  • Sued0nim
    Well you'd think, but the arm / glimpse of neck made me wonder
  • subakwa
    Please comment! Anything that will help

yl4poo4nqhk3.png
  • subakwa
    I do have short arms, long body. The old joke about not being able to reach the bottom of my pockets is almost true :)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    @subakwa https://youtu.be/ZeqEWLvtZJw that'll flesh everything out for you. His my go to squat form guy. His very reputable too. And damn you've got a lot of a**. Very nice :smile: