Only one in the house eating healthy

Replies

• kimberly2402
    kimberly2402 Posts: 33 Member
    The picture I posted is more of a wow I can actually lose weight while my partner still is eating unhealthy. I've never been thinner than her. Going from 200lbs down to 169lbs while someone is in front of you enjoying their pizza. Kind of like trying to quit smoking while someone else smokes in front of you. This is my before picture qktfxucc655n.jpeg

I'm freaking proud of myself
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    You do you and let her do her.
    Well I'm glad I didn't come onto your post & just say that's not how you treat someone. Y'all have no clue what goes on in our house. By the looks of it I'm not the only one that wishes their spouse would eat healthier with them.
    Please don't post back on any of my post.

Part of posting a thread is accepting that anybody can respond and that you are unlikely to enjoy all responses.

I lost over 50 pounds while my husband did not lose any. His non-loss didn't affect me adversely in any way. He was very supportive of me throughout the process and I can't see where your partner is being less supportive of you. I don't understand what your problem is with her but I can tell you that talking about what you perceive to be her shortcomings with anybody outside of your partnership (outside of a therapy type situation) is a sure way to create problems in your relationship.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Well I'm glad I didn't come onto your post & just say that's not how you treat someone. Y'all have no clue what goes on in our house. By the looks of it I'm not the only one that wishes their spouse would eat healthier with them.
    Please don't post back on any of my post.

If I posted on a public forum I would expect all sorts of replies and opinions. You don't get a choice as to who posts.

I feel sorry for your partner.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    The phrase, "Eyes on your own plate" comes to mind, here.

Your partner is an adult. She will lose the weight if and when *she's* ready to - just like you did, and even if I feel you might be going about doing so in an unhealthy manner.

But posting your partner's picture and then running her down in public like this? That crosses a line that should never be crossed. :(
  • kimberly2402
    kimberly2402 Posts: 33 Member
    Showed the Mrs. this post. Quite frankly she says y'all sound like a bunch of chatty women who have nothing better else to do than to talk down to someone who is being honest about how they feel. There for a while she was glad I had this group to vent to & get advice. Because by the end of the day she felt like she wasn't given me the time to talk about my weight loss. Now it's just became a bunch of chatty women who think they are the perfect wife.
    As far as the calorie mofia... With my job I don't have time to sit down & eat a full course meal while I'm running around in the er taking care of patients. Yes, I have been trying to add some calories back to my diet but instead of asking or reading, you jump on the calorie mofia bandwagon.
    A lady in the group told me its best just to get a few friends & not post on this site... Now, I see why!
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member

I have a brother that is very overweight and I am racking my brains to think of a way to "entice" him out of the house to doing something active and healthier but I know from my own experience that until someone wants to get healthier, there is nothing I can say that will motivate my brother.

Maybe you could ask him to help you brainstorm ideas for you to do (not him to do) that would be easy ways to add some extra activity in. Kind of get him thinking in that direction?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    I eat the same food as everyone else in the house and am still losing weight.

You do you, and others will take care of themselves when they are ready.
    johunt615 wrote: »
    Congrats on the 28lbs. Just keep going. Sometimes the other half feels left out or maybe even jealous so be sure to reassure her too.

I think a little of it is jealousy. I'm trying to include her but she keeps saying I'm watching what I eat. I'm thinking to myself cookies & ice cream is not watching what you eat.

Um..you CAN lose weight eating cookies and ice cream, just sayin'...
    Showed the Mrs. this post. Quite frankly she says y'all sound like a bunch of chatty women who have nothing better else to do than to talk down to someone who is being honest about how they feel. There for a while she was glad I had this group to vent to & get advice. Because by the end of the day she felt like she wasn't given me the time to talk about my weight loss. Now it's just became a bunch of chatty women who think they are the perfect wife.
    As far as the calorie mofia... With my job I don't have time to sit down & eat a full course meal while I'm running around in the er taking care of patients. Yes, I have been trying to add some calories back to my diet but instead of asking or reading, you jump on the calorie mofia bandwagon.
    A lady in the group told me its best just to get a few friends & not post on this site... Now, I see why!
    That's not very nice at all. You posted on here, and everyone responded with 'you do you'.
    I agree. Even with your last post, you get the help that you needed, yet, you are so ungrateful. I don't think you showed her this post at all. If she saw what you wrote about her....I mean, I would be upset if my husband spoke about me on the internet and included a picture.

There are people with the exact same job as you, and they manage to count calories. Calorie MAFIA.... oh dear. -_-

Your missus will be ready when she is ready... That would be like me hounding in on my husband to lose weight. It is his business. He is happy with my progress, but he has his own life.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

That's very sweet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Fatshaming isn't cool. Even if you'd like us to believe you've shown this to your S/O and that she's somehow okay with it.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    I was in the same boat at you but I joined Pinterest and it help keep me motivated. I followed exercise and health food pages. My partner can eat anything and I know it's not nutritious to eat their food. You want to be healthy as well as lose weight right?
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    I would think this would be a safe place for her to talk about her concerns. She is simply being honest and not editing how she thinks or feels thinking MAYBE she would get some understanding and support. If her partner is on on MFP, why would it matter? People go to advice forums all the time spewing all their personal business because it is therapeutic. Why is this any different?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Photo.

As Sabine said, I'd be upset if my SO posted to complain about me on social media, period, even if it weren't about something so sensitive as weight often is. If he or she did it with a photo and was making comments about my weight, I'd be livid, and that would feel to me like a huge betrayal. And, of course, with the photos of the SO there's every chance that someone else might see it and recognize her. I so love the idea of someone I know telling me my SO was talking *puppy* about me on the internet--"I know, I saw your photo!" Ugh,

But OP claims that her SO okayed it so, sure, whatever. Call me a woman, as if that's an insult.

The answer to the original question is that you control you, of course, and how your SO eats is her business. Maybe she'll get inspired to lose, maybe she won't (I love how people sometimes get inspired and then are annoyed or impatient or non-empathetic with those who are in the same place they were only a few months ago).
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I find it interesting that it would upset her if this was on Facebook but it's ok for it to be in a public forum that can be seen by anyone with Internet access.

It almost sounds like you think that you are better than her for losing weight and not eating ice cream. Maybe you should be more supportive of her and let her know that when she is ready to lose weight you will be there to help her, even if that means that she may weigh less than you again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2016
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I think you said in another thread that you are eating 800-900 cals/day and felt guilty about going overboard this weekend at social events and topping out at 2500 cals. Am I misremembering?

Because that doesn't really fit my definition of "healthy" either from a food consumption or an outlook perspective.

Not to mention that you are asking people to be supportive and encouraging toward you, when the words you are writing are not exactly exhibiting those same sentiments toward your partner...

You're not misremembering.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10463931/binge-ate-today/p1

Not healthy.
    No mAfias. Just not healthy. Under eating to the point of SCARY under eating. NOT healthy.

I think my concerns for her partner are taking a back seat. Thanks for this post winogelato. You bring me back to reality.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

What's a mofia?
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    What's a mofia?
    Isn't it a bath sponge? :o

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

What's a mofia?

Steven Moffat?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    What's a mofia?
    Isn't it a bath sponge? :o

I think that's a porifera. Or a loofah. Does anybody use loofahs anymore?