Gym expert.

I've never been to gym for lose weight cause I heard people saying hitting gym will gives you result for short time cause of you stopped going gym,your weight start gainning faster than earlier.
So people who go gym plz clear me this thought. And suggest me about the gym world.
Thank you❤

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    You start gaining weight when you consume more calories than you burn.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Changing your eating habits will help you lose weight. The gym is there to help improve cardiovascular health. If you go just to lose weight and then stop yes, you will gain the weight back because your body is used to burning all those calories and now it no longer is. But what's more important is that you will lose out on your cardiovascular health.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Losing weight is based on burning more calories than you consume. Going to the gym and getting more exercise can help you to burn more calories, but the easier side of the equation to control is calories in. There are weight loss benefits to exercise, but exercise doesn't help at all if your eating isn't under control. The gym is also a great place to get healthier, be able to physically do more, and can be a great part of a total health plan.
    You don't have to use a gym though. Any exercise you get is great. If you think a gym is something you would like to do, go for it. Many people love it. At least give it a chance would be my suggestion.
    The only way you start gaining weight faster after quitting going to a gym is if you are eating more than you were before going. There is a lot of misinformation out there masquerading as expert weight loss advice.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    A Calorie deficit can be obtained from being more active or eating less.

A Calorie surplus can be obtained from being less active and eating more.

The gym world has it's benefits and disadvantages.

It's really opinion.

If I had a home gym I would use that more.
    Some people just prefer the gym atmosphere. Although, I'd say in reality the gym is the best choice with the variety of machines, unless a person can afford all machines a gym would have or have an all in one piece of equipment.

To me the gym is more about weight training, as I can do cardio pretty much anywhere outside. So, if you aren't going to be serious in to weight training just run outside or at a track.
  • kelzank
    kelzank Posts: 17 Member
    @claraoswold thanks for the advice. I am doing my own cardiovascular to lose weight. .Thanks!
    @makingmark my friends suggest me same to give a try to gym.
  • kelzank
    kelzank Posts: 17 Member
    @Jcl81 thanks to the advice.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Strength training will help build muscle mass which helps your metabolism.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited October 2016
    Changing your eating habits will help you lose weight. The gym is there to help improve cardiovascular health. If you go just to lose weight and then stop yes, you will gain the weight back because your body is used to burning all those calories and now it no longer is. But what's more important is that you will lose out on your cardiovascular health.

wow trust me the gym is not just about cardio....

OP the gym is not required to lose weight.

A calorie deficit is. That is obtained by burning more than you consume...and lots prefer to do that without exercise....what happens when you can't exercise or don't want to anymore??? gain the weight back...

So eating less calories is the key...not just changing eating habits and exercise.

MFP is setup so you eat back exercise calories due to this premise.

If you want to exercise do that...for sure but don't do it for weight loss.

ETA: and you don't have to go to a gym to get fit...I haven't stepped food in a "gym" in 3 years and lost 50+ lbs and got quite fit.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Don't go to the gym to lose weight, go to the gym to get in better health, and lose weight by eating less than you burn through out the day the rest will take care of itself.
  • tammylee83
    tammylee83 Posts: 12 Member
    All the previous answers were many of the things I was going to say. But one more thing about the gym that helps me is being surrounded by other people with similar goals. As soon as I step in the gym I can feel the energy in the atmosphere and that helps me work a little harder than I sometimes do at home or by myself.