Beets

Options
I saw some golden beets in Whole Foods. I haven't had beets Don ever I was a child. Can't remember if I liked them. Does anyone like beets? I'm thinking about roasting. Any ideas of what to have with them?

Replies

• leologan42
    leologan42 Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Roasted beets have a hint of sweet and a tiny bit of a mineral flavor. They make great snacking chips if you slice them into thin rounds. Caned beets are way to processed for my taste.
    They work great with beef.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I love beets. Roasting them is one of the best ways to cook them - enhances the flavor and retains the juices.

You can also cook the beet leaves - - they're like swiss chard and kale, but I've never been that fond of them.

Beets go well with most proteins - beef, lamb, pork and chicken - and are great in salads (particularly golden beets, which don't bleed and discolor lettuce and other ingrediants like red beets can).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love beets, they're great roasted, or tossed in a salad. They're sweet-ish and juicy. I find their flavour very... inoffensive? What I mean is that they don't have a strong, or peculiar flavour. I haven't seen golden beets in ages, I wish I could get some.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    LOVE beets!!

I love roasted beets and stir fried beet greens. Then put the two together. YUM!
  • orginalrebalgirl
    orginalrebalgirl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had beets for dinner tonight. Roasted them in the oven with potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnip, and onions at 400 with a little olive oil and salt. I could eat roasted beats forever.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, they're really good grated in a coleslaw too.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets are great! You can also use them in borscht (beet stew) which is something I make a lot of in the fall.

Alternatively, I've done a lot of baking with fresh beets. Look up some recipes for chocolate beet root cake if you're interested
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Roasted beets are fantastic. I wrap the cleaned beets in foil and cook until tender. When cooled, peel them and dice or slice. I think fig balsamic vinegar splashed over them with a bit of blue cheese or goat cheese is pretty amazing. Or you can pickle them if you have an abundance.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I peel them and cook them in the crock pot plain for hubby. He loves them like that.
    I cannot eat them unless they are sliced and baked / roasted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Love them. Roasted is great (they go amazingly with goat cheese and arugula in a salad or just on their own or with some other root veg as a side dish), and I also like the greens (sauteed). I use beets raw in smoothies too (haven't tried the greens for that purpose).
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    get outta here dwight no one likes beets.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i love beets. i boil them and then put them in the food processor with salt,pepper,lemon,olive oil ,oregano. it looks like baby food but i like it in this puree form. it goes really well mixed with boiled potatoes too(those i don't puree).
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I will roast them with some rutabaga. I can't wait so see how they turn out. I will do the golden beets.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like, but don't love, beets. I like them raw (shocking how sweet they are), sautéed with sweet potatoes or pickled. I only like them roasted if they are part of a medley of other vegetables.

Golden are better than purple roasted IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I love beets
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I buy these whenever i can find them: https://www.lovebeets.com/products/honey-ginger-beets/

I also found these at the Ottawa Marathon and am obsessed with them: http://www.beet-it.us/ The sports bars are insanely good!!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I LOVE BEETS!!!! I love them pickled, roasted, raw in a salad or boiled with onions and a dash of lemon juice.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My beets/taco salad for lunch, with purple peppers.
    I love beets.

14516413_10211036507854551_3594841004798969763_n.jpg?oh=cffb2145e8b11b8911aa65908a2ae7a2&oe=5867A966
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I've just recently developed a... "lack of disdain" for beets. My wife loves them - not sure if she's ever had them roasted. How do you all roast them?

I guess I could google-fu some recipes, but:

a) I'm feeling lazy;
    b) I sometimes don't love recipes the pros have, or they seem like more work than I'm willing to put into the endeavor (see a above), so maybe what some regular folk like would be better?