Cardio while bulking? If any, how much?

Replies

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    jolive7 wrote: »
    travisk8s wrote: »
    The purpose for doing cardio is to improve ur cardiovascular health- what does that have anything to do with bulking or losing weight?

When did ppl start to associate it with fat loss or keeping lean lol

There are a lot of people who are only interested in aesthetics, there are so many lean people in my gym who are NOT "fit". To me, that's absolutely crazy!

I Agree totally... What's the whole point of looking great if you can't run 5k to get help for a injured friend etc.

As an example; I run a few "Tough Mudders and Spartan races every year and it's always surprising to me how many "fit" looking ppl with their fancy gear on can't even run 3k with out dying...lol
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    B)
  • travisk8s
    travisk8s Posts: 24 Member
    You 100% can eat a surplus then target and reduce existing body fat levels. You can reduce your bodyfat% while not losing any fat. In fact (sit own for this one dude) you can actually reduce your bodyfat% while gaining bodyfat levels. Its actually simple maths, not deep mind *kitten* science
  • 11Templars
    You 100% can eat a surplus then target and reduce existing body fat levels. You can reduce your bodyfat% while not losing any fat. In fact (sit own for this one dude) you can actually reduce your bodyfat% while gaining bodyfat levels. Its actually simple maths, not deep mind *kitten* science

What....?

Do you have a source (Documentation) for that?

As a regular bloke with a Bsc in both Comp. Sci and Actuarial Math ( I work at a bank)..lol I'd be interested looking at the "Maths" for this.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

Been following...

Now I am curious about what this is about? Can you please clarify this????
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

Umm what? How can one lose body fat and gain body fat concurrently... that really doesnt even make sense.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

Are you insinuating thisis because of muscle gain will outweigh the fat gain making the percent the smaller?
  • travisk8s
    travisk8s Posts: 24 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Umm what? How can one lose body fat and gain body fat concurrently... that really doesnt even make sense.

Where you are getting confused is bodyfat levels vs bodyfat%. They are not the same...

Back to work I'll explain later!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    The more you post, the clearer it is that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2016
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The more you post, the clearer it is that you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

I feel like I stumbled into the misc forum at BB.com by mistake. Or maybe an episode of the Dr. Oz show. :D
  • 11Templars

Where you are getting confused is bodyfat levels vs bodyfat%. They are not the same...

I'm probably missing something here so I'll await your replay. In fairness I am "assuming" that one typically measures "bodyfat" levels using "% - percent" of fat .vs Lean Muscle etc.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The body gets it's energy from several sources. If you can manipulate your cardio to oxidize fat, then you are burning fat while bulking without muscle loss =)

The best method is probably to do 20 to 30 min moderate or LISS cardio after weightlifting. The body has already dug deep into glycogen stores and is definitely more likely to burn fat. It's a pretty common method.

Roughly how many calories of glycogen do you think an average person eating over maintenance has stored?

You really aren't making a lot of sense I'm afraid. The weightlifting session will make zero difference to the proportion of fat burned during LISS.

• Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    edited October 2016
    sijomial wrote: »
    The body gets it's energy from several sources. If you can manipulate your cardio to oxidize fat, then you are burning fat while bulking without muscle loss =)

The best method is probably to do 20 to 30 min moderate or LISS cardio after weightlifting. The body has already dug deep into glycogen stores and is definitely more likely to burn fat. It's a pretty common method.

Roughly how many calories of glycogen do you think an average person eating over maintenance has stored?

You really aren't making a lot of sense I'm afraid. The weightlifting session will make zero difference to the proportion of fat burned during LISS.

And as Sidesteel said, you can't look at substrate utilization in a vacuum. The "fat burning zone" has been proven to be a myth again and again. It's broscience.

Actually, the time the body burns the highest percentage of fat is when at rest. So technically, for the most effective fat burning, one should just sleep all day. Which, of course, completely ignores that fact that you'd also be burning far fewer calories overall - but hey, almost all of them would be from fat!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

And as Sidesteel said, you can't look at substrate utilization in a vacuum. The "fat burning zone" has been proven to be a myth again and again. It's broscience.

Actually, the time the body burns the highest percentage of fat is when at rest. So technically, for the most effective fat burning, one should just sleep all day. Which, of course, completely ignores that fact that you'd also be burning far fewer calories overall - but hey, almost all of them would be from fat!

Yep totally agree - my 50/50 point of carb/fat usage happens at about 130bpm. Doing a weights session beforehand isn't going to change that.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    jolive7 wrote: »
    The purpose for doing cardio is to improve ur cardiovascular health- what does that have anything to do with bulking or losing weight?

When did ppl start to associate it with fat loss or keeping lean lol

There are a lot of people who are only interested in aesthetics, there are so many lean people in my gym who are NOT "fit". To me, that's absolutely crazy!

I Agree totally... What's the whole point of looking great if you can't run 5k to get help for a injured friend etc.

As an example; I run a few "Tough Mudders and Spartan races every year and it's always surprising to me how many "fit" looking ppl with their fancy gear on can't even run 3k with out dying...lol

Yes! I'm with you, to me that would be much more satisfying and makes me feel so much healthier and fit that I can smash out a conditioning session! We run metcon sessions every Saturday and it's amazing how many of my "fit" friends have only come to one
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I will take you know nothing for $500, Alex
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Whoa. What's going on here? lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

I assume this means body fat percentage vs fat mass?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Can anyone tell me how I turn off notifications for this thread please? :wink:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    @travisk8s never came "back to explain later".. Oh well. :(