Introduce Yourself

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    epr3996 wrote: »
    Hello to all, My name is Ed I'm very new to running just started at 56 and slightly overweight (about 15 lbs) and diabetic. I'm using the Couch to 5k to build up to running not really sure about doing a 5k just something to keep me motivated. Would love to see if anyone else in this world has decided to start running later in life.

@epr3996 - Welcome!

On August 21, 2011, at the tender age of 55, I decided I'd see whether I could turn myself into a runner. I found a 5K program that called for starting with intervals of walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes. I went out and found I could only run for 1 minute before I had to slow to a walk. Built myself a 2 week remedial training program to get to the point where I could start the 5K program.

Early October 2011, I achieved my initial goal weight (13 lbs. higher than my current target weight) and finished the 5K program. Felt obligated to run a 5K after I got through that program, but for quite a while I wasn't so sure I was willing to put up with the administrative hassle of a race just to run 3 miles.

Five years later, at age 60, I'm in training for my 3rd marathon. I think I might like to learn to run cross country this fall, but it's hard to fit that in around all the road races I want to run.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    My name is Victoria.
    I've never been much of a runner, but my New Year's Resolution last year was to run a 5k every month. And I have fallen in love with running. This year I have already done 12! And i'm training for my first 10k for this next month. :-)

Needless to say, i'm happy and thought this group would be nice.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Hello, I am Johnny, just ran across this group thought I would throw my name in the hat. I am in my late 40's so my miles are not that high but working on quality and not quantity. So thought I would reach out for some accountability partners.
    I typically run 3 runs, with one bike/run brick workout a week. So somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 miles a week.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Hello, I am Johnny, just ran across this group thought I would throw my name in the hat. I am in my late 40's so my miles are not that high but working on quality and not quantity. So thought I would reach out for some accountability partners.
    I typically run 3 runs, with one bike/run brick workout a week. So somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 miles a week.

That's great! Check in on the September thread and post your monthly goal and then post your progress as often as you like :)
  • jennzornm
    jennzornm Posts: 4 Member
    Hi I'm Jenn, and I wanted to join the group to have the extra motivation needed to get back into the swing of running. I love to run, and have competed in several 5K runs, River to River Relay Run, and a Half Marathon. With the loss of a fellow runner at the beginning of the year it has been hard to get back out and run. I have gone a few times out, but never the distance or speed I used to go. I have signed up for a 5K run for next weekend to get things going. I would give myself a goal of running 20 miles this month, although I hope to go much further.
  • Hi I'm a new runner. Just one month in. Hit my first goal of running 5km I thought stopping. This month I plan to run a 5 km charity race And start a 10 k training plan. Looking to find virtual running friends so we can inspire each other.

• sewfrenzie
    sewfrenzie Posts: 9 Member
    Hi, I'm Diane from Minnesota.
    I'm 53 and haven't run in 30+ years. So I am a beginner, very beginner.

I am here to get encouragement and give encouragement. If I can do it anyone can. I am recovering from injuries and wanted to lose weight. So I started myfitnesspal.com to get a good start. Now I want more than to just lose weight.

My goals aren't to run in a marathon or triathlon, just to get healthier and stronger. And I feel stronger and my blood pressure has dropped from 160/94 (Back in May) to 136/84, and this is after stopping BP meds! I have also lost 17 pounds since May.

I started a 3 month workout challenge that required 10 minutes of running 3 weeks ago. This challenge only requires 10 minutes 4 days a week along with some cardio and weights.

When I first started I could only run 5 minutes at a time, (and was so winded it took me a good 5 minutes to breath normal again!) I couldn't do a mile let alone 10 minutes. I am now up to 20 minutes without keeling over. I am catching my second wind right now but burning out at the end of 20 minutes. My thighs hurt, lol! But I keep going. I'm averaging a 11.5 minute mile, not fast I know, but faster than when I started. I run about 4 to 6 times a week.

I remember running in the army and liking it once I'd been running about a month. I remember catching my second, third, and fourth wind so to speak. I am doing warm ups before running, just like in the army. The last thing I want is an injury.

I look forward to completely this challenge and continuing on with the next.

• ccontr11
    ccontr11 Posts: 25 Member
    Hi everyone I'm christy, I'm 22 years old. I live in Arizona and considering how hot it gets down here, I really enjoy running, hiking and the outdoors. I used to do cross country in high school but during college I stopped running as much. My goal is to get back into it this September with the help of this month's running challenge, shooting for 50 miles this month. If anyone wants to motivate each other, feel free to add me as a friend here. I like to post pictures of my meals and progress updates :)
  • Jbrisson1982
    Jbrisson1982 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi everyone my name is Julie, I am 33 years old. I live in Sault Ste Marie, Ontario in Canada. I have ran for many years and then I got pregnant. So I have not ran consistently for the past year and I am itching to get back into a good running routine. My son is 10 months old now so there is no excuse not to run. I am also going back to work in a week so I would like to get a good running routine between, working and family life. The great thing is that he loves his BOB stroller so I can go for hours and not one little peep from his Royal Highness.

I hope to join the October running challenge and get motivated into running again because I loved it. We are planning on having a second child but I also am planning on running throughout the pregnancy or for as long as I can. Feel free to add me as a friend always looking for more support!!! Happy that I came across this group.
  • chassp8pooh
    chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
    Hi all. I'm finally getting around to posting an introduction. My name is Chastity and I'm a 33 year old happily married adopted mom of four wonderful children. i live in West Tennessee but get to travel all over the us. Five months ago I miscarried a set of much wanted triplets at five months along. I had gotten you to 240 pounds and a size 22 and was miserable. Before the miscarriage I had lost three other pregnancies. I have polycystic ovary syndrome and IBS,the type varies depending on how my body wants to act.

My husband is an over the road truck driver and I am always on the road with him. Obviously this makes eating healthy and getting exercise extremely difficult sometimes. So...what did I do? My husband bought a gas powered generator and cooking items such as a skillet and toaster oven so that I can cook in the truck. I do my best to keep between 1000-1200 calories per day even when I run. It works for me and I don't get tired or worn out.

I have lost almost 73 pounds in right at four months. I have gone from a size 22 down to almost a size 6. My energy levels have skyrocketed and I am learning to eat and be healthier. I starred running at 220 pounds and could barely get in a mile in 30 minutes. I .now can run 4 miles in anywhere between 58 minutes to 1 hour 4 minutes depending on my terrain. I love to run. It's the only thing that keeps me sane. It is so amazing what a body can do if you just give it an opportunity. I run in the grass,I run in truck stops. I run in the hills I'd I can find them. Every opportunity I'm out there and I run. I'm actually planning my first5k next month .
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Hello! I just happened upon this group today and thought I'd join. My name is Lissa and I am 47 years old. I live in Houston, TX, where my family owns a small business. A few years back I was running for a while and even managed a half marathon alternating run/walk each mile. My weight has always been in the way though and I stopped running shortly after that. By January of this year I was up to 286 pounds...quite a bit for my 5'3" frame. I've been working hard all year long with lots of biking and walking and am down 76 pounds so far. I started running on the treadmill, just a little at a time, in August. Then about a week ago, I started running outdoors again with my dogs during our morning walk. Our walk is three and a half miles and I run for about half of it right now...again alternating between running and walking. I am crazy slow at only about 4 miles per hour, but I am very happy to be moving again. Obviously, I am still pretty heavy and am content with my running progress so far. While I really want to push it more, I also don't want to injure myself so I am trying to take it slow. I am planning to join the October Challenge with a modest goal of about 50 miles. Glad I found you all and I look forward to getting to know you. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    I often miss this thread due to the number of notifications coming through but welcome to @lissadecker and others :) Join in on the September challenge while it lasts and be looking for the October thread soon!
  • Hi everyone, I'm Kay. I run several times a week. Trying to stay consistent while juggling a busy schedule. I love a good challenge! I look forward to reaching my goals with each of you.
  • halfrunnerJ
    halfrunnerJ Posts: 7 Member
    Hi, I'm Jo from Houston, TX. I felt a bit lost after finishing grad school a couple of years ago and decided I needed a goal to work toward, so I signed up for my first half marathon. In the process I realized that I actually enjoy running so now I train for a couple of halfs each year. Sometimes I struggle to find the time to run consistently, but I'm hoping setting a monthly goal will help keep me honest!
  • christineengel13
    christineengel13 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi everybody. My name is Christine and I'm from Central PA. My husband is a runner but I was really never into it. I signed up for a 5k recently (which I thought was a walk but then found out it was a run) so I just decided to get in shape to run it. I did the 7 weeks Couch to 5K and was able to finish in a decent time and take home a medal. Thrill! I'm a die hard walker so I'll probably do a combo of walking/running/hiking to get me to 50 miles for the month of October. I like joining Challenges to stay motivated, plus it just feels good to get out there in the fall air after sitting on my butt in the office all day!
  • Annessah
    Annessah Posts: 6 Member
    Hello I'm Annessah. I am 34 years old. And I am new to running. I am working on developing a healthier lifestyle for me and my 2 sons, 6 and 7. They are both in sports and I am trying to become more active with them. I have lost 70 lbs and I still have about 50 more that I would like to lose. I am excited about this new journey I am starting becoming a runner. Every year I participate in the March of Dimes 5 mile walk and for this next race in April I plan on running/jogging most of the way.
  • kingsbud
    kingsbud Posts: 3 Member
    I'm Dan, and happy to be jumping into this group. I have been running for about six years, and have done a few half marathons, 10k and 5k races. I now run 2-3 times a week, between 10-20k. I am 53 years old and do my running in Ottawa, Canada. Looking forward to the month long challenge
  • ArielleMangabat
    ArielleMangabat Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi, I'm Arielle. I try to run a couple miles a day, but I want to get back to my 6 miles a day. Slowed down a lot after a nasty illness. Looking forward to the November challenge!
  • suzysassafrass
    suzysassafrass Posts: 21 Member
    HI! I'm Stephanie and I'm brand new to running. Hoping to make some new friends and lose some weight in the process! :smiley:
  • 1soulfulrn
    1soulfulrn Posts: 3 Member
    Hi I'm Rose and I'm not a runner but want to be one when I grow up! The best I have done so far is completion of an Oly tri, so 10K and that wasn't all running. I signed up for a half marathon next year to help motivate me toward a goal. This forum will help too, thank you! This month I will shoot for 50 miles to start. I am overweight and out of shape, but can at least jog part of the way there.