Would you say these are healthy snacks?

I'm just getting started with eating right again, and I want to make sure I'm eating well. Seeing that I used to eat upwards of 3000 calories a day, I'm satisfied with eating with the range of 1600-1800 calories a day for the past few weeks. I'm not being so strict right now as I'm primarily focusing on developing the habit of even tracking my meals and sticking to a good range. My plan for myself is to eat 300 calories at breakfast, 400 at lunch, 500 for dinner, and 2 snacks throughout the day (between 100-200) calories each.

I work in an office so I really want to make sure I'm snacking right. I bought some snacks but I'm curious to see what you all think of the snacks I've been buying and would love to hear about what are some quick snacks you eat between meals:

1. Instant Oatmeal- 130 calories
2. Granola bar- 90 to 150 depending on the bar
3. 100 calorie pack almonds
4. Piece of fruit
5. Snack pack of Pringles- 100 calories
6. Starkist tuna Salad kit- 200 calories

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Almonds are a great snack. Easy to take with you and full of protein. I eat 8 almonds every morning as a snack between breakfast and lunch. In the afternoon, I do hummus and vegetables.

Avoid the Pringles and, in my opinion, the granola bar.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    You can make your own granola fairly cheaply and easily. And then you could control what's in it.

I would say no on the Pringles... I'm guessing the salt content is high.

I don't know about the tuna salad but when I see "kit" I start to question that there may be additives in there that you'd rather avoid. Try making your own "kit" the evenings before from more basic ingredients.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Depends on what's in the granola bar... although I eat them too (the oats and nuts kind). Pringles I avoid because they don't fill me up at all for the calories, but if it fits your macros... *shrug*
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    wanzik wrote: »
    You can make your own granola fairly cheaply and easily. And then you could control what's in it.

I don't know about the tuna salad but when I see "kit" I start to question that there may be additives in there that you'd rather avoid. Try making your own "kit" the evenings before from more basic ingredients.

None of this matters for weight loss and there is nothing inherently bad about pre-packaged granola, Pringles, or the tuna salad kits. If these foods are convenient for her and help her stick to her goals, great. Her snacks are perfectly fine in the context of an overall varied and balanced diet.

Healthy is subjective. Eat what you like within your calorie goals.

Exactly.

OP, your snacks look fine. Eat what you like. :smile:

I didn't see where she said she wanted to lose weight just eat healthy (her words). I do agree eat within your caloric goal when it comes to snacking

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    My snacks these days tend to be chosen from the following list: nuts, cheese, piece of fruit, protein or Kind or Fiber One bars, half an avocado, grape tomatoes and jicama sticks with a little lime juice and hot pepper flakes. I keep a box of Quaker Oats Weight Control oatmeal in my desk at work (sweetened with sucralose). Sometimes I might have some hummus to go with the veggies.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    I think any snack that fits within your calorie allowance is a "healthy" snack. My preferred snacks are usually high protein and/or fat to be more satisfying for a longer time period. Common ones for me (I also work in an office, so most are shelf stable or can be kept in our tiny office fridge):
    • Protein bar (Quest, Combat Crunch, Kirkland brand from Costco are my faves)
    • String cheese
    • Greek yogurt (I like Oikos Triple Zero the best, or Simply Chobani 100)
    • Raw mixed nuts
    • Muscle Milk light
    • Lots of raw veggies (carrots, celery, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, jicama, cucumbers - I try to always have some ready to go in my fridge at home)

I also find it helps to drink a big glass of water along with my snack. Makes it seem more filling and a good way to increase my water intake.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    1. Instant Oatmeal- 130 calories
    Not for me. Instant oatmeal leaves me instantly hungry
    2. Granola bar- 90 to 150 depending on the bar
    Not for me. Too little volume to do anything for my hunger (and usually too dry for my taste).
    3. 100 calorie pack almonds
    Not for me. I'm a nut fiend and unless that one pack is all I have in the house I'd have to brace for 1000 calories over my budget
    4. Piece of fruit
    Yes.
    5. Snack pack of Pringles- 100 calories
    Yes, but only if I'm eating them because I want pringles. Does nothing for my hunger.
    6. Starkist tuna Salad kit- 200 calories
    Yes.

What I like to snack on: fruits, vegetables, popcorn, kefir, simple sandwiches, a little bit of leftovers. I like to choose things that are filling to me. If I'm not hungry and have calories left I would snack on chips, chocolate, cookies, fruits, vegetables... anything with reasonable calories that I feel like eating, really.

As you can see, it depends. For me, not all of these are "healthy" (as in, help me with dieting). For you they might be a good fit. Don't overcomplicate things. All you need to do is eat within your calories, and if you wish to have a healthy diet as well, all you need to do is have a good variety of nutrient rich foods in your diet in addition to anything else you wish to eat.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

None of this matters for weight loss and there is nothing inherently bad about pre-packaged granola, Pringles, or the tuna salad kits. If these foods are convenient for her and help her stick to her goals, great. Her snacks are perfectly fine in the context of an overall varied and balanced diet.

Exactly.

I didn't see where she said she wanted to lose weight just eat healthy (her words). I do agree eat within your caloric goal when it comes to snacking

So.... there is nothing inherently wrong with pre-packaged granola, Pringles, or tuna salad kits.

You can eat those things and still have a completely healthy diet. It is overall diet that matters, not individual foods.

• wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member

Exactly.

She asked for opinions. I gave mine. Healthy IS subjective, as you agreed. While chips prepared foods might not be all bad, if your looking for "healthy" you'll avoid them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I don't find fruit satiating unless I have some fat and protein with it. So, I'd pair nuts, peanut butter, or cheese with apple.

I haven't found a way to make oatmeal both satiating and snack-level low calorie. By the time I'm done adding yogurt and peanut butter and strawberries it is reaching meal-level calories, and is still not very filling. I did enjoy this as a bedtime snack throughout the summer. Now that it is apple season, I'm over to apples, PB, and cheese.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    My two cents -- I don't like to snack and enjoy foods more if part of a larger meal. You don't have to snack, so if you are doing it because of the "eat every few hours" thing, be aware of that and don't be afraid to experiment. If you like snacking, never mind! ;-)

I wouldn't think satiety would be that much of an issue if you are eating again in just a short time (as with snacking), so I think controlling calories and having a plan and then how it fits into your overall day is most important. I'd definitely experiment to see what leaves you feeling more satisfied and happy (and satiated, if that's an issue), however.

And since everyone else is weighing in on their personal reaction, one thing I'd want if I snacked is protein (it really makes it easier to get to a protein goal, depending on how high yours is) and IME is satiating (again, if that's an issue). So I'd probably think about yogurt and nuts (nuts don't have a lot of protein, but a bit). With a granola bar I'd look at the ingredients and macros and see how it fits with my day (many really are glorified candy bars, and that's totally fine, but if so I'd make sure it was something I really enjoyed -- I like Kind bars, for example). I also happen to love fruit as a snack and think it's quite satiating (for the calories), although I usually have it after dinner or as part of a meal.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I wouldn't say they are healthy but there's nothing wrong with eating them if you like them and they fit your goals. For me the granola bar and pringles wouldn't be very filling and I'd probably want another snack 30 minutes later.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016

This. Also-instant oatmeal is awesome :# I'm currently eating two pkts with a bit of ground flax seed in the morning, for 270 calories, and it fills me up for hours!
  • In my opinion, it depends on your existing relationship to these foods. I feel like, for some people- chips, pringles, or ice cream are a "trigger" of sorts, where they won't be able to stop eating. Other people are able to have just one bite and put it down. So, it kind of depends on what your body is telling you. And like, other posters said, you want to make sure the rest of your day is nutrient dense so you aren't just eating calories and missing out on the important stuff.

My snacks tend to gravitate more toward things like the below. Maybe you'll find them useful.

Savory-
    Carrots, Apples, Bananas or Celery with 1 TBS peanut butter or almond butter- 150-200 Calories per serving
    Beef Jerky, usually less than 100 calories per serving. My fave brand is Krave. Also a big fan of Buc-ee's brand, lol.
    Suzie's Quinoa Corn Cakes topped with smoked salmon, cheddar, or whatever spread I have
    1/4cup Cashews- 160 Calories

Sweet-
    GFB Gluten Free Balls (various flavors) about 110 calories per serving
    Barnana Peanut Butter or Chocolate Covered Bananas 160 calories per serving
    I heart Keenwah Chocolate Peanut Butter Keenwah Balls- 120 Calories per serving
    1TBS Peanut Butter and 2tsp Honey on a slice of toasted bread- 180-200 calories!

I've also got a recipe somewhere for these epic peanut butter cacao nib truffles, I believe those are 90 calories a serving, but surprisingly filling.