what do you do with discouraging comments?

13»

Replies

• zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    I don't understand those people who seem to lack the "maybe I shouldn't say that out loud" switch in their brains. One of my good work friends told me that I couldn't do the Insanity program, because, "Sometimes we just have to admit that we are too old for some of that stuff." I just went silent in a bit of shock. Then I went and did it. And a Warrior Dash the next year. Just to show her and mainly MYSELF that I could. I no longer share my goals with people. My journey is for me and my kids. And if they want to comment saying I can't do something, I change the subject like was suggested above, and I say silently to myself, "Just watch me."
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Ignore them unless its my wife..those cut..deep. anyone else...i could give a *kitten*..but her...they cut.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    enidite wrote: »
    Hi, I have not posted here , but today I have a question for all you successful people out there. My weight loss journey has been going slow but steady. I had backslidden and gained some back, but I am back in Onderland and have lost a total of 75 lbs with 65 to go. I don't advertise my weight loss at work, but when I am asked, I answer questions. I have a colleague who asked me what my goal is and I told him 135 lbs, which I feel is reasonable for my height (I'm 5'4"). He told me I won't make that , I'll probably stall at around 170 and that's it. I kind of felt frustrated especially because I am so afraid to put the weight back on. Last year, the same colleague had told me, I probably have lost all the weight I could, because my body was used to the higher weight and has now a higher set point. I'm not sure why he says things like that, I don't think he has ill intentions, but I really don't know how to deal with such comments. They really demoralize me especially because this journey has not been easy for me. Sometimes it's been a daily struggle to learn this new life style. I try to think of all the people here that have achieved amazing results and I try to think " why shouldn't I be able to reach such a goal even at 52?" But comments like that make me doubt that I'll ever get there.

I'm 57 and age is not an issue. I've had people tell me I should stop losing over 30 lbs. ago. I'm 5'5'' and 145 lbs. I started last October at over 245. I stalled on purpose for a few weeks to reevaluate whether 145 was the best goal. Yup, it was and all I could do was to let those who were "worried" know that I was eating well and getting healthier by the day. I made it so I'm sure you can too. As far as all this talk about set points, my body is at its new set point. I set it and intend to keep it set right where it's at. I'd just look at him and say, "some people seem to know everything" with the rolling eyes look.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    I am 52 and I am losing, just like you. One day at a time and 1 pound at a time. You know it, just like me and you just have to remember that and not the opinions of jerks.
  • Just_Maddy
    Just_Maddy Posts: 94 Member
    People sometimes make comments like that 'cause they reflect their OWN insecurities and fears, why would HIS fears make YOU afraid? Either that or he's heard a bunch of broscience and he is only repeating what he's heard, since you are pretty open it would be an opportunity to educate this guy about weightloss.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Is this coworker's opinion important to you? If not, just ignore, refocus and move on.

If your coworker's opinion is important to you, tell them that you found it really discouraging to hear such negativity. Some people don't realise how much of an *kitten* they are being until it's put directly to them.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    I guess this isn't all that helpful for your current situation but generally I don't discuss my goals with anyone. I'd rather not deal with any potential negativity and I can live without any potential "good for you!" type comments. If asked I'm as vague as possible... "I'd just like to be as healthy as possible" or "I'm just eating well and seeing what happens".

I guess that explains your name! Lol. I made another post on chit chat about this topic. It is so much easier to make progress without naysayers naysaying.
  • afeezlalji2016
    afeezlalji2016 Posts: 13 Member
    You got 2 ears. 1 to take info in and the other to to take out. Comments like that actually motivate me further to go on and prove to myself the impossible. But unfortunatly, HATERS BE HATING.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    People say things like that because they've convinced themselves that they're true...usually in reaction to their own or other's failures.

"Like"ing this isn't enough. I needed to repeat it.
  • ChristinBuss
    ChristinBuss Posts: 16 Member
    It sounds like you've been dealing with some woman-hating mysoginists. Those type of people really enjoy emotionaly manipulation for the purpose of causing harm. I really hope you can be in a safe environment.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    "I can do anything if I put my mind to it."
  • cranium853
    cranium853 Posts: 138 Member
    Ann Landers used to say something along the line of "Why would you ask me such a personal question?" Say it sweetly, wait for an answer, watch them squirm. I have had people tell me how I should wear my hair, what they think of my shirt, what they think of the politics on my shirt, and so far no one has ever said anything to me that made me slap my forehead and say, "oh my goodness you are right! I am going to change my life and do what you want me to do!" Let it go.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    cranium853 wrote: »
    Ann Landers used to say something along the line of "Why would you ask me such a personal question?" Say it sweetly, wait for an answer, watch them squirm. I have had people tell me how I should wear my hair, what they think of my shirt, what they think of the politics on my shirt, and so far no one has ever said anything to me that made me slap my forehead and say, "oh my goodness you are right! I am going to change my life and do what you want me to do!" Let it go.

Ann Landers also suggested a line I actually used once (and wish I *had* used a few more times). "If you'll forgive me for not answering that question, I'll forgive you for asking it." By the time they've figured out what it means you will have swept regally down the hall, head held high!
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Ignore people like that, they suck the positive right out of the atmosphere.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Let me give you a little background about myself. 56 years old double hip replacement last year arthritic knee that needs to be replaced and an arthritic shoulder that needs to be replaced eventually. January 1st 2016 weight was approximately 288 pounds. Currently my weight is about 206.

Putting it very bluntly if you really want it you can do it and the only person who's going to stop you is yourself. You have to realize you're doing this for no one but yourself and more importantly your worth it. You have a choice you can feed the negative or you could feed the positive and which one you feed will determine where you wind up.

As far as far as your colleague, besides the point that he's an a****** comma there's an old adage that applies to people like him. Those that can't, teach. He has no idea what he's talking about, totally ignorant.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Reply "Oh, thank you SO much, Doctor (their name)."
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    He sounds like an insensitive person, probably did not intentionally want to upset you and probably has no idea that this has upset. Some folks feel they have to share their "knowledge" no matter how dubious it is.

You have already lost an impressive amount and your goal seems reasonable for your height so no reason why you should not get there.
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    I remind myself that so many others have done it successfully, so there is no reason I can't.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!