Snacking at work

My major problem is that I get bored at work and end up snacking. I don't seem to be able to get through the day without a bag of potato chips and peanut M&Ms. One thing I think might help is cutting out diet soda - it definitely makes me want calories. What do other people who are stuck at a desk all day do?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    klcase2007 wrote: »
    My major problem is that I get bored at work and end up snacking. I don't seem to be able to get through the day without a bag of potato chips and peanut M&Ms. One thing I think might help is cutting out diet soda - it definitely makes me want calories. What do other people who are stuck at a desk all day do?

Mostly work. Sometimes I get so absorbed in my work I don't even realize it's lunch time.

You could try snacking on fruit, yogurt, salad, or other healthier items? Definitely skip the soda and try to fill up with plain water during the day.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    If at all possible, just don't have the junk food around.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I dunno. Diet soda helps me eat less. I eat like 500 calories worth of pretzels at work most days. I just know that if I do that...whoops, that's lunch. Because I'm not skipping dinner or dessert.
  • I've been struggling with this. I have the best success when I still get to snack but in lower calorie things. I also will set a side a small portion that i can have near the end of the day; it works if I actually manage to wait till the end of the work day to have it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I take sliced apples, a cheese stick and some pretzels, and also keep Trader Joe's high fiber granola bars handy for easy snacks at my desk. For a sweet treat, dark chocolate and a portion of raw almonds is nice, too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2016
    I do my work, drink water enhance with Mio, Eat a protein bar for morning and afternoon snack. Lunch typically chicken breast on flatbread, apple, banana, carrots and some almonds.

This is my eating plan for the workday. No chips, candy, doughnuts, cookies, etc that someone might bring in or could be bought there.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Bring your own healthier lower calorie snacks instead of hitting the vending machine- problem solved!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    When losing weight, I just said no to snacks at work unless they were mini quiches cooked by someone else.

I preferred to save my calories for dinner and dessert at home in the evening.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Bring healthy snacks? But overall, you need to try and gain some willpower to not do it. Eating when bored is a bad habit, one that leads us to needing to come to the site to lose weight.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    I don't sit at a desk day in day out but when I do and need a snack I usually have tea with semi skimmed milk or cut up a big bowl of strawberries to pick at. In generally having a big glass of water keeps me from getting hungry unless I actually am.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Not what you want to hear, but it's best to just learn not to snack. But if you are a person who needs to eat frequently, you might need to change the way you eat breakfast and lunch so that those meals are smaller and your snacks are larger. Basically you eat more "mini" meals.

There are times when I was eating at 1200 calories that I did need a snack. I would bring in just a 1/4 cup container of cottage cheese and I'd have a few grapes with it. Or I eat a 100 calorie container of Siggi's Vanilla yogurt. That one seems to hold me over.

Are you actually hungry for a snack or craving the sugar or salt in your snacks? If you are truly hungry, that cottage cheese or low-sugar yogurt will appeal to you.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    I keep a huge water bottle on my desk all day and drink whenever I feel hungry or bored. I found that I had a huge weak time around 3 or 3:30 so I plan ahead and bring a banana and some cottage cheese. The banana manages the sweet craving and the protein gets rid of hunger until dinner. My co workers used to pass around a box of timbits right around that time and I would mindlessly eat more than 200 calories. So I decided to pay attention and be more intentional about what I am doing especially at that time. If I am really struggling I will grab a small ice coffee at the closest shop - only 70 calories with skim milk.
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Most times I realise that I am dehydrated. I always have a bottle of water handy ...I infuse it with fruits, tea bags and mint / cucumber. I pack my snacks too which are usually fruit, chobani 100 cal Greek yogurt, nuts (I portion those out), cheese.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I hardly have time to think about food when I'm at work. When I do get hungry, I have a fiber one brownie or some carrots, maybe some chocolate or grapes, and always lots of water... I bring my own snacks.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I learned to stop snacking and if slip, I make sure to log it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Also, if you're that bored at work, you might want to look for something that challenges you or at least has you moving.

Boredom/dissatisfaction with a job could lead to depression and eating issues. Best of luck.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    I am stuck in the office all day, im not much of a snacker, but when i do want to snack, i bring a cup of cut up red peppers, or carrots, or pickle slices. A cup of each is less than 40 calories.