Start day??

Replies

• lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Raptorbh12 wrote: »
    That's what makes me nervous now though, am I not doing enough in the training sets...am I doing too much assistance?? I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to pull ups.

Start out with minimal resistance. Put as little assistance as you can while completing the minimum amount of reps for your training set.
    This will tear more muscle fibers and create deeper micro tears which will enable them to grow stronger faster.

I know that's a good thing, but that just sounds so wrong!! Lol. So, what should u be striving for in terms of # of reps in a training set??
  • Raptorbh12
    Raptorbh12 Posts: 56 Member
    Raptorbh12 wrote: »
    That's what makes me nervous now though, am I not doing enough in the training sets...am I doing too much assistance?? I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to pull ups.

Start out with minimal resistance. Put as little assistance as you can while completing the minimum amount of reps for your training set.
    This will tear more muscle fibers and create deeper micro tears which will enable them to grow stronger faster.

I know that's a good thing, but that just sounds so wrong!! Lol. So, what should u be striving for in terms of # of reps in a training set??

Striving for failure on the last rep of your set. This ensures that you achieved muscle exhaustion and will maximize effectiveness of the workouts.
    Now because your doing it everyday, its not as important to reach muscle exhaustion everytime since that can cause some injuries.
    Just make sure that its really difficult every time you do it and if it seems too easy for any iteration, decrease your assistance.

• lbenson2006
    @Joanna2012B no need to feel inadequate...we are all still trying to figure this thing out. Sounds like I've been too easy on myself. Lol. Means today is going to SUCK!! Yikes!!
  • lbenson2006
    Thanks @Raptorbh12 . Will be trying harder this afternoon. Will report back...if I can still type. Lol
  • lbenson2006
    Ok, never got back in and posted on Friday...sorry...and left the paper at home. I did try reducing the assistance and it made it tons harder. Last week I was offsetting 60 lbs. I am now trying offsetting 40 lbs for as much as I can then switching to 50 lbs. Today I did 4 and then 3 reps at 40 lbs and then the rest of the max effort sets at 50 were 4, 4, and 3 for a total of 18 pull ups.

Please tell me I am not the only one still doing this?? I need people to keep me going because I really want to complete this for the whole month to see what kind of progress I can make.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited October 2016
    Nope I am still doing it just forgot to post!!! Saturday I did 3 sets of 8 at 40lbs assistance! The gym is closed today for thanksgiving so I used my pull up bar....so much harder! I am going to keep working at it until I can do some unassisted even if it takes longer than the month! Way to go Lesley!!!
  • lbenson2006
    Thank goodness! Lol. That would be rough trying to keep yourself going for the rest of the month. I'm with you, I want to be able to do this even if it takes more than the month! We will definitely have to keep each other going. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!
  • lbenson2006
    Today done...pretty pitifully!! Lol. 40 lb assistance (trying to force myself to try that) and did 1, 2, 2, 2 on pyramid day.
  • Raptorbh12
    Raptorbh12 Posts: 56 Member
    Yesterday was kind of rough. I ended up not using any extra weight due to being at my local track. I just did 5 sets of 8 after I did a half mile sprint in 3:03.
    I need to get my sprint time down to 2:45 in one month for the half mile to get a perfect score for this tears fitness test.
  • lbenson2006
    Holy cow Raptor...that is FAST!! So glad u are still with us. That's crazy to picture adding weight when doing these. U guys are extreme!! Sure we'll never be able to do that, but u give us great motivation to try to kick butt!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Done for today I was able to pull off 1,2,3,4,5,6 with 50 lbs of assistance!
  • ShansGotGoals
    ShansGotGoals Posts: 928 Member
    Ok ya'll...I kinda fell off last week and completely struggled with the first days Pull-up challenge. I don't fully understand the pyramid and I totally suck even with assisted pull up machine!! So I'm thinking maybe this challenge ge isn't for me? And it totally kills me to say that.....I hate to quit. Anyone have any suggestions or advice I'm willing to listen
  • Joanna2012B
    @ShansGotGoals I am not able to offer advice cause I am flying by the seat of my pants on this one! Maybe one of our pros @captbklee or @Raptorbh12 can offer advice!!!
  • lbenson2006
    Great job @Joanna2012B! @ShansGotGoals I completely agree with what Joanna says and hope one of our experts can help. I hope you stick with it just to see if it can make a difference, I am very curious about this program. Maybe if you can keep playing with the amount of assistance you use?? I don't think we are actually supposed to be able to do a lot in a set, so I am trying to get my brain wrapped around that concept.
    As for the pyramid day, as long as I am understanding it correctly...first set you only do 1 rep then take 10 seconds rest. As long as you can complete that you attempt 2 reps in the next set then take 20 seconds rest. If that was able to be completed you attempt 3 reps in the next set (this is where I could only do 2) then take 30 seconds rest. If you could NOT complete those, as was my case, your next set is a maximum effort set, and then you are done for the day. If your set of 3 WAS able to be completed, as Joanna's was, your next set would be an attempt at 4 reps then a 40 second rest. Each subsequent set, you keep attempting to be able to increase your number of reps by one every time and your rest keeps increasing by 10 seconds each set. You continue to do this until the set where you could not complete the correct amount of reps. Then after your required rest, you still have to do one more maximum effort set. (Hope that helps and sorry SO wordy. Lol)
  • Joanna2012B
    @lbenson2006 that is exactly how I understood it!! I agree that I too hope that you stick it out @ShansGotGoals ! I am not expecting any crazy results, keep in mind I am doing these assisted!!
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    @ShansGotGoals stick with it! I've found pull-ups to be the prime example of "if you don't use it, you lose it" and they can take forever to develop. Rome wasn't built in a day. Be patient and I think you'll be happy with the results.

For the pyramid, make sure you take adequate breaks between sets. Not too long, but long enough that you feel like you can knock them out. I think @lbenson2006 has the right idea.

If your grip strength is an issue, try not wrapping your thumbs around the bar.
  • Joanna2012B
    See I knew he'd say the right thing!!
  • lmbarreto
    lmbarreto Posts: 19 Member
    I’m a week behind everyone else so I completed day 2 today of the advance program, I hope I’m doing this right; I’m doing 5 super sets of 5 exercises each so a total of 25 sets (does that make sense?). anyways I started with 10 full reps (no assistance) for each set.
    Day 1
    Set 1. two sets of 10 reps no weight and 3 sets of 10 + 5lbs
    Set 2. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 10lbs
    Set 3. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 15lbs
    Set 4. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 20lbs
    Set 5. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 8 + 25lbs

Day 2
    Set 1. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 10lbs
    Set 2. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 20lbs
    Set 3. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 8 + 25lbs
    Set 4. two sets of 9 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 6 + 30 lbs
    Set 5. two sets of 8 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 6 + 30 lbs ( my arms are burning!)

Question. The Pyramid, Grip switch, Max day and hardest don’t apply to the advance program right? It’s just the 5 set routine (I hope)

My goal is to be able to do 30-35 straight pull ups (no additional weight or assistance). Right now I can do 20 straight wide , 25 close grip and 30 chin ups. I think this challenge would definitely help me reach my goal.
  • Joanna2012B
    @lmbarreto that is awesome!! Welcome!!

I would say you are well on your way to reaching your goals!!! Your arms should be burning after that!!! Way to go!!
  • lmbarreto
    lmbarreto Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you @Joanna2012B I can't wait for Friday!