Living at a hotel-

I've deployed with the State Farm Catastrophe Team and I'm living out of a hotel right now. I slept in, skipped breakfast, went out for lunch and reached 1550 colories already.

Replies

• amandavgomez
    amandavgomez Posts: 31 Member
    Half mypost didn't show up, anyways, i have a mini fridge and microwave. How do i eat healthy?
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    just eat healthy foods
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Is your work giving you a budget? Prepack salads (with just the salad - nothing else) and add cooked chicken is a yummy lunch. Microwave potato beans and cheese. Scrambled egg. That's breakfast and lunch the have something healthy out for dinner? If not cous cous (made from kettle water) and salad, wraps, pittas... lots of options. If your in a hotel the breakfast is bound to have yoghurt, eggs, fruit
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    If the hotel has a restaurant (and you have time to eat there), they'll usually make what you need/adjust the recipe to your request. Beyond that, if there's a viable grocery store nearby, you can certainly stock some essentials in the mini fridge based on what you typically eat in a day (reserving your perishable/cooking required proteins-- if you go that route) for when you go out to eat.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I've found that it is a little harder to eat at my calorie goals when I'm stuck in a hotel on travel. It is completely doable, but it takes a decent bit of thought and planning. On the way to the restaurant, look up the nutrition information and try to make choices that fit your calorie goals. I usually tend to stick with grilled protein and veggies when I go to sit down restaurants and smaller portions of fast food with less calorie dense sides (fruit cup/salad).
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I do this all the time, actually.. my job has me on the road for weeks on end sometimes. My method is to find a bunch of foods that I can keep either in the mini fridge or shelf stable and pick those up from a local grocer. I pretty much live out of the mini fridge, the microwave, and on foods that I don't need to cook or heat.

These do end up being mostly processed food, but the macros are generally in line with what I want. Plus, eating some processed food and forgoing fresher food for a week or two or three isn't going to dramatically impact my overall diet or health. It's a brief period of time and sub-optimal food won't impact me much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Usually half of a restaurant entree fills me up. Eat half, take the rest back to your room, and eat it for another meal.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    I don't know if there are open grocery stores where you are right now. I assume that you are working on doing adjustments for the hurricane. It's a horrible, grueling, and depressing job. East as well as you can, and do what you can to take care of yourself emotionally and physically. I'm a Katrina survivor, and I know.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    First, thanks for the work you are doing! I'm sure you're bringing a lot of support to folks going through the biggest challenge of their lives. And, I'm guessing it is stressful for you. Perhaps you could acquire a foam cooler to store more stable veggies and friit? See if you can make friends with the cooks/waitstaff where you're eating, and ask for their help in your weight loss effotts, cutting out oils, cream, etc. Go get 'em!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited October 2016
    If you're staying at a hotel that does the complimentary breakfast (like Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express), try to eat a healthy breakfast before you head out for the day--they usually have fruit and yogurt, cereal, eggs, toast--you can make some decent choices there. If there are stores open you can buy some dried fruit, nuts, granola bars to tide you through the day. (If you're expecting to go out on Storm Duty often you might consider putting together a "to go" bag for yourself with some of these things already in it. Have a reasonable dinner at a restaurant. Honestly you could eat at McDonald's everyday and still stay within your limits if you make good choices. And even one week of maintenance isn't going to put you too far behind.

(Edited to add: my husband worked for State Farm in the 90's and went out on Storm a couple of times... It's a busy, hectic week (or more) and in some cases can be totally heart-wrenching. Take care of yourself!)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    I do this all the time, actually.. my job has me on the road for weeks on end sometimes. My method is to find a bunch of foods that I can keep either in the mini fridge or shelf stable and pick those up from a local grocer. I pretty much live out of the mini fridge, the microwave, and on foods that I don't need to cook or heat.

These do end up being mostly processed food, but the macros are generally in line with what I want. Plus, eating some processed food and forgoing fresher food for a week or two or three isn't going to dramatically impact my overall diet or health. It's a brief period of time and sub-optimal food won't impact me much.

This
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Grocery store deli may have a lot of options for you as well.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    get 100 calorie greek yogurt and other healthy sacks for your mini fridge. Like tuna, low fat mayo... 100 calorie bread...fruit..a few prepackaged salads. get some diet coke.mineral water..things like that so you can skip the pancake fake food breakfast. If the hotel has a gym.. do cardio for an hour a day. You could also buy lean cuisines and microwave them in your room..
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Buy frozen low fat meals that you can microwave and some fruits , make a salad...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I travel a lot for work. If your hotel has a free breakfast, figure out if it has options that work for your diet. I usually have instant oatmeal, peanut butter, and fruit, as this is available at 99% of hotels. If you're going out for lunch, don't treat it like a "treat" or a special occasion. If you have the opportunity to pack your lunch, even better. I will hit the grocery store and stock my mini-fridge with stuff for lunches. Dinners are the same -- I'll either search for a place that will help me meet my goals or eat in my hotel room. With a min-fridge and a microwave, you can do all kinds of things. Some of the things I like to buy: protein bars, sandwich thins, single-serving hummus/guacamole cups, pre-cut fruit and vegetables, cans of soup, 100-calorie popcorn bags, frozen burritos, non-dairy yogurt, nut butter, 100-calorie bags of nuts. Your tastes may vary, but you can virtually always find stuff at almost any grocery store.
  • amandavgomez
    amandavgomez Posts: 31 Member
    Thank you everybody!