Steel cut oats recipes

Baddogbeanie
Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
Right now I just add rasberries to it, any suggestions for a slightly more complex but healthy alternative using the steel cut oats?

Replies

• I do banana and cinnamon, pumpkin butter that I made, strawberries and chocolate chips, blueberries, maple syrup, honey and pecans, soo much you can do
  • janekana
    janekana Posts: 151 Member
    My boyfriend eats oatmeal with blueberries, banana, and ground linseeds every breakfast.

I do a simpler one by only using honey and ground linseeds, but still really good though!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I made some yesterday. I batch cook overnight by just bringing it to boil, turn off the heat, and let it sit overnight. I added chia seeds and currants. After I warm a portion in the microwave, I add a dollop of Greek Yogurt.
  • 2 cups of milk, 2 cups of water, 1 cup of steel cut oats, 1/2 cup of ground flax seeds, 1 spoke cut small, 1 cup of walnuts, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, cinnamon to taste.
  • Sorry that was supposesed to say 1 apple cut small...auto correct is so annoying
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    oh my gosh this sounds amazing. Going to try this.
    Right now my favorite is adding pumpkin puree, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and toasted walnuts.
    I make it with almond milk and put in individual serving size containers and freeze it. Heat in the microwave and top with the walnuts.
    If you want a little more protein, add a scoop of protein powder.

My typical steel cut oats is to prepare them, divide it up into servings for the week, and toss in the refrigerator. In the morning, I'll add almond milk, 1/4 cup of dried cranberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Warm it up in the microwave when I get to work.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Cut or rolled oats make a fantastic "risotto." Just use the oats instead of rice. It doesn't need as much stirring -- hardly any for the rolled oats -- to get the creamy consistency.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2016
    My favorite at the moment is 16 grams of creamy peanut butter, one whole banana, and a little drizzle of honey. I also like mine with apples, cinnamon, and slivered almonds. I also enjoy savory oats...google that, there are a lot of ideas...I really enjoy onions and mushrooms.
  • sbknightingale
    sbknightingale Posts: 1 Member
    I love to add peanut butter, honey, cinnamon and either banana or apple
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    These all look great! Going to be trying a few.
  • daedae171
    daedae171 Posts: 247 Member
    I just keep it simple with doing oats with a serving or a serving and a half of sugar free maple syrup, followed by a serving of peanut butter. Simple, yet delicious.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Steel cut oats are the best! They really do keep you full. I make them with almond milk and add ground flax seeds towards the end of cooking.

For a fruit topping I buy a bag of frozen wild blueberries and defrost in fridge, resulting in a lot of tasty blueberry juice :) you could probably do this with raspberries or cherries. Cheaper than fresh fruit and good for the winter!

Also nice with baked apples and cinnamon, or sweetened with a spoonful of homemade prune purée (soak prunes and blend with a bit of water).
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    I like adding a banana, sprinkle with cinnamon, and add a little vanilla almond milk.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    I bring to boil 1 c oats & 2 cups of water at night while I'm doing the dinner dishes. Then, turn off the heat, put on lid and leave overnight (if it bothers you than go ahead and refrig). In the morning, I heat it up with a cup of milk added. IT makes it creamy and yummy.

Add ins:

a really ripe banana and then stir the heck out of it while you heat in the morning. Add walnuts (& chocolate chips or coconut flakes) for banana bread oats

coconut flakes & chocolate chips for mounds bar oats

Apple chunks (or pears) cook first and then add the oats. Love this with some raisons & walnuts, cinnamon

Add a handful of quick cook or old fashioned oats will make it creamier, too

small handful of granola or cold cereal for crunch on top

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,075 Member
    I make single servings overnight in a mini crockpot. 1/4 cup oats, 1.5 cup water, cut up apple, cinnamon and nutmeg. It's like eating apple pie for breakfast.

I've been doing a little playing around with the mini-crockpot that came with my full-size one. For steel-cut oatmeal, I'm finding about 4 hrs cooking time after a 1 hour presoak/rinse of the oats gives a good result. Unlike the fullsize crockpot, there's no temp adjustment, and frankly, I don't trust it enough to let it run all night (or all day, as I do with the big one). I've been thinking to use an outlet timer to regulate the cook times. To eat at 7AM, it'd start the crock at 3AM. Do you have similar experiences?
  • delicaterealms
    delicaterealms Posts: 27 Member
    i have rolled oats and pb2. very filling. sometimes i'll slice an apple, warm it up, and put it in the oats. berries/fruits are good toppings too!
  • badgerface1k
    badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member
    Oats,Splenda, cinnamon, salt, sliced apples and uncooked walnuts on top