Eating the foods you hate

Replies

• kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    First world problems in this thread, we have all this nutritious food readily available to us but we'll only deign to eat it if we know for sure it's one of our faves. Smells a little like entitlement, however it tastes.

So to not "act entitled" we need to eat whatever we are given whether we like it or not? Well until I'm air dropped onto a deserted island or a poor third world country where I'd be forced to "make due", I'm going to go on eating what I want. I work hard to afford the food I want to eat and I don't feel bad about it!
  • kbmh611
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to eat foods you hate? So many foods in the world to choose from, if you truly don't like something I don't know why you need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

Because it's about trying to like something that you normally don't. I get what the poster is saying. I think certain things look really good and I want to like them but I for some reason I just don't. Mustard, olives, nuts, sushi...I'm hoping my tastes change over time and if I keep trying these things maybe one day I'll actually enjoy them. I don't force myself regularly, but every now and then I'll give em a go again and see what sticks.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    kbmh611 wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to eat foods you hate? So many foods in the world to choose from, if you truly don't like something I don't know why you need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

Because it's about trying to like something that you normally don't. I get what the poster is saying. I think certain things look really good and I want to like them but I for some reason I just don't. Mustard, olives, nuts, sushi...I'm hoping my tastes change over time and if I keep trying these things maybe one day I'll actually enjoy them. I don't force myself regularly, but every now and then I'll give em a go again and see what sticks.

I wouldn't call that forcing yourself to eat foods you hate. I would call that trying foods to see if you like...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member

When I was about 19, a friend challenged me to try every type of cheese I could get my hands on.

I took on the challenge and started buying a different type of cheese each week.

As a result of the challenge, I have a list of cheeses I really like ... and some I don't. And that's OK. I eat some sort of cheese just about every day. It's one of the ways I get my dairy products and calcium and some of my protein.

Trying to force myself to eat foods I hate would mean that after the cheese experiment ... after I discovered that there are quite a lot of cheeses I do like ... and after I discovered I really do not like blue cheese ... I would force myself to eat blue cheese.

Personally, with all the other cheeses I like ... I see no point in trying to force myself to eat a kind I don't like.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    I keep trying to like oatmeal, because it would be a good filling breakfast. But I just don't like the texture and the flavor is rather bland so doesn't win me over. It usually SMELLS really good to me - especially with cinnamon and other add-ins. But no, still mushy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Yeah there was a lot of good discussion that came out after I initially posted. I think it depends on the motivation. If it as you describe, or as others have mentioned, picky eaters trying to become more adventurous, I can totally get behind that. I was a picky eater as a child and a bit as a grownup and I've worked to expand my food choices to include a lot of things that my mother never would have thought I would eat!

But if the motivation is that a person thinks they HAVE to eat a certain type of food in order to be healthy, then that's the mindset I was responding to initially. I kind of got that sense from the OP, but I'm not sure anymore. There are lots of people that come here believing they HAVE to cut out certain foods in order to be healthy/lose weight, and less common but it still happens, are those that think you must eat something specific (fish, eggs and oatmeal often are brought up) in order to be successful.

It's been a good discussion!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I'll usually give a food a couple of tries -- I tried raw sea urchin roe once and thought I would hurl (fishy iodine taste and the consistency of custard); I tried it a second time and felt the same way about it. So no more sea urchin for me.

If someone really likes a food and I don't, I may try it a number of times to see what it is they see in it. If it's something good for me I'll figure out a way to work it into my diet or find an alternative that I do like. Evelyn Tribole's book "Stealth Health" provides a lot of ideas for adding nutritional value to your meals without having to choke down something you don't care for.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1600131.Stealth_Health
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT wrote: »
    sometime it is good to eat what you don't like

Why?
    It may beneficial for your body for example many people don't like BITTER GOURD but it is one of most healthy vegetables and provide important vitamins and nutrition to your body.

You can get vitamins and minerals from so many different types of foods. No reason to eat something you hate when there are so many choices...
  • kbmh611

I wouldn't call that forcing yourself to eat foods you hate. I would call that trying foods to see if you like...

Same difference. You know you normally don't like them so you force yourself to keep trying it to see if you could end up liking it
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Same difference. You know you normally don't like them so you force yourself to keep trying it to see if you could end up liking it

Trying something I've never tried, or haven't tried in years, or a new preparation of something to see if I like it is one thing. Using words like "forcing myself to keep trying it" makes it sound like a totally unpleasant experience and I'm not sure why anyone would engage in that. That's the difference....
  • J72FIT

Respectfully disagree...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Nope. There are far too many other wonderful foods on the planet for me to waste calories on things that don't appeal to me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    reading this thread because so interested in people's hates. suppressing the impulse to keep leaping in with 'oh i love [thing]!'

tldr: thread makes me hungry :tongue:
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    I hate zucchini. I've made zoodles off and on and most of the time they aren't so bad, but I can't eat them any other way. I hated spag squash and now I enjoy it. I still can not make myself like cottage cheese and I wish I could because its such a cheap protein source.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    I don't eat foods I don't like, luckily I like most foods. Here's my list:
    Broccoli-never liked it, I don't care how nutritionally good it is.
    Beans- kidney, black beans
    Carrots

However I forced myself to stop eating foods I loved because my stomach can't take it- cheese (I had an addiction but it was the easiest thing I ever did), I trained myself to drink coffee black (one year I removed the sweetener, the next year the cream) it was the most difficult thing I ever did.

Trying different foods may help.
  • BeverlyMarsh1986
    BeverlyMarsh1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Yes! This wasn't for weight loss reasons, clearly... but when I first moved to the US I felt the need to like peanut butter as well as Mac and Cheese. Peanut butter was especially disgusting to me, even just the smell. I started off by adding a little bit to a sandwich with a whole lot of jelly and then I added more and more over time to get used to it. It worked! It's still not my favorite, but I like it, even without jelly. With the Mac and Cheese I just ate a handful every time it was offered somewhere and that did the trick. I think you just have to get used to the taste and then slowly increase the amount. I am currently working on liking cilantro. Now that I think about it, hummus is another thing I taught myself to enjoy.
    I don't think I could ever enjoy fish eyes or things that my brain tells me are disgusting.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I never knew so many people hated bananas!
    I thought I knew you...
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    life is too short to eat foods you hate.
  • kbmh611

Trying something I've never tried, or haven't tried in years, or a new preparation of something to see if I like it is one thing. Using words like "forcing myself to keep trying it" makes it sound like a totally unpleasant experience and I'm not sure why anyone would engage in that. That's the difference....

Because you're taste change and you might one day like it. I'm not saying eat something you hate everyday, I'm saying try what you hate occasionally to see if you can ever like it. Maybe try it in different ways or preparations to see if you might like it.