Anyone new to power-lifting? Looking for fitness friends to chat with!

Hey folks. I'm a 31yo female who has had a long love relationship with fitness. I'm always trying new things for fun ways to stay in shape, I'm goal-motivated and miss sports, so been working at a few new things. Competed my first triathlon this summer past. In addition been doing strength building. As of late, in addition to strength training, I'd decided I'd give power-lifting (PL) a try. I've beenreally enjoy the training. I'm just working at it slowly and safely with a great trainer.

My latest exciting news (to me): Today I had a personal best with 135 lbs (5x5) deadlifts. - might not be a big amount to some folks, but for me, this lady is happy. Here's to growth! Any other powerlifters out there? Any newbies? I just want ppl to chat with and share growth stories :)

Replies

• DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    I just signed up for my first powerlifting competition in January. It's for beginners only and just bench press and deadlift. I'm just hoping to learn a lot and not embarrass myself too badly! Are you planning to compete?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Not new to this but you're more than welcome to add me or PM me with any questions you may have.

Also, congrats on the 135lb Deadlifts! Doesn't it feel awesome?!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Not exactly a newby, with my 16th competition coming up in two weeks, but it's always exciting to see new lifters come out and have fun.

At your first meet, and until you decide to compete at higher levels, no one but you cares how much you are lifting. Did you go out, have fun, possibly set a new personal best? Awesome!

Honestly, powerlifters are some of the most awesome, supportive, amazing people I know. The more you get out and get to know them, the more awesome they are.

You are very modest my friend and the OP would do well to have you on her list of friends! :)

To the OP, you are starting off well and keep up the great work. PL is a great sport and can really help you achieve your fitness goals.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    If anyone wants to add me I'm not interested in competing but I am interested in powerlifting and just flat out becoming stronger.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    I competed in my 1st competition in August. I won my weight class (only female in my weight class!). You can add me.

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    I used exercise to help me quit smoking back in the late 80s. One of the gym members talked me into trying powerlifting. Didn't take me long to get hooked. Competed with NASA for 10 years till work responsibilities got to were I could train enough. Competed in 135 up to 165. Set a few State records in the squat. I guess I'm one of the few people that like squats.
  • deputy_randolph

Congrats @deputy_Randolph on your competition! How did you like it? Are you planning on competing again?

First one has to be the most stressful, right? Next one is in February!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'm not going to compete, but I started SL 5x5. My deadlifts 5x5 is 140lbs right now. I'm aiming to lift way past my bodyweight.

Anyone here can add me.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Not new. But feel free to add me.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

My first is in January and I'm already nervous about messing up the bench commands.

Practise practise practise. Find someone willing to stand there and give you the commands. Waiting for a press command is different than just a simple pause.
  • deputy_randolph
    edited October 2016

I practiced the commands for squat and deadlift, but not bench; bench is my weakest lift, so I went into it with an "I don't care attitude." The day of the meet I regretted not practicing bench. I started to stress about bench during squats, which helped to screw up my last squat. Bench went perfectly though. If you have someone to practice with for a couple of weeks, that'll help the nerves.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I've done a few push/pulls and one full meet. Had to take most of this year off due to illness but getting back at it now and hoping to compete again in the spring. :)
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member

Practise practise practise. Find someone willing to stand there and give you the commands. Waiting for a press command is different than just a simple pause.

That's the truth. No bounce off the chest. Make sure the bar does hit the chest too. Make sure your your squat hit parallel. Rich Peters with NASA told me once he looks at the toes if they are pointed straight ahead he will red light you because there is no way to hit parallel if they are. Don't rest the bar to low on your shoulders for squats. I got red lighted for that.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Vegan powerlifter here. I've done a ridiculous amount of research on it so ask me anything!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Not really new but would like to comment. I lift twice a week, doing the 5 main lifts. I've followed sl5x5 and then done my own similar routine. I have many breaks throughout the year which leave me mostly maintaining and not progressing, but I just keep going when I can.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Not new but still learning!