Is the fitbit brand of watches inherently unrugged?

TL;DR: I need to replace my Fitbit Charge. It's my third replacement in three years. Each time the band has broken off from the actual Fitbit electronics.

I'm an enthusiastic fan of my Fitbit, at least the software side and how they model and display the data Fitbit collects. I find it motivation to track my steps and make sure that I'm walking at least 250 every hour for an otherwise too sedentary lifestyle.

Fitness-wise, I'm boring. I run or walk 3 - 4 times a week, and do weights 2 - 3 times a week. I will admit to being big and clumsy. That said, I've never, ever, had a watch that was so easy to break.

Is a watch that is so easy to break everyone's experience with Fitbit? Are some models more rugged than others? Have people had better experience with different brands?

Replies

• Angiepeg
    Angiepeg Posts: 16 Member
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR - I wear it all the time and have found it fairly robust. Trouble is, you need to tap it for it to display. You can choose what you want displayed at first 'tap' though - steps, heart rate, time, etc.
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    I've had my Fitbit charge HR for less than a year. I have replaced it 4 times Fitbits warranty is good but the band itself keeps separating from the display
    I would not recommend the Charge HR.
  • kyleskrinak
    kyleskrinak Posts: 17 Member
    Angiepeg wrote: »
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR - I wear it all the time and have found it fairly robust. Trouble is, you need to tap it for it to display. You can choose what you want displayed at first 'tap' though - steps, heart rate, time, etc.

I don't mind that, in fact, it's a convenient way to provide more functionality with less buttons.
  • kyleskrinak
    1098mn wrote: »
    I've had my Fitbit charge HR for less than a year. I have replaced it 4 times Fitbits warranty is good but the band itself keeps separating from the display
    I would not recommend the Charge HR.

That's too bad, I'd like the HR feature. Have you used any other Fitbits?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I had my HR for 2 years until I lost it a week ago. Despite it being out of warranty, Fitbit is replacing it free of charge! Even if I wanted to upgrade, I can't turn down a freebie!
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    I had my HR for 2 years until I lost it a week ago. Despite it being out of warranty, Fitbit is replacing it free of charge! Even if I wanted to upgrade, I can't turn down a freebie!

I might have to try that. @Alatariel75 - did you just contact the company and tell them you lost it? I had my One for close to 3 years, no problems with it the entire time, then lost it a few weeks ago. Haven't purchased a replacement yet, but maybe I can try asking and see what happens instead. Maybe I'll get lucky ;)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    I've had my charge HR for 18 months now. It's been through hell and back, the pattern on the band is wearing out, the screen has scratches on it, it's been in the shower and dishwater a few times, I don't want to know how much sweat has been on it, and it's in perfect working condition. I will admit though, considering the problems that people on my friends list have had, I've been one of the lucky ones.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    I told them I broke mine, it wouldn't sync and they tried to help and couldn't sync it either. they asked where I bought it. I said best buy and they checked some info and then said I was out of warrenty but they gave me a coupon for 25% another tracker from the fitbit site...for my loyalty. I bought a Blaze,which I wouldn't recommend for you since it sounds like your tough on them, but maybe another model or the same model you have?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    jcdoerr wrote: »

I might have to try that. @Alatariel75 - did you just contact the company and tell them you lost it? I had my One for close to 3 years, no problems with it the entire time, then lost it a few weeks ago. Haven't purchased a replacement yet, but maybe I can try asking and see what happens instead. Maybe I'll get lucky ;)

Yup, I just sent them an email through the website, they were back to me within a couple of hours! I didn't even have my receipt, just told them where I bought it etc. I figure they could tell I had one because they would have looked up my account and been able to see that I'd been using it faithfully for years, then then all of a sudden, no synch. I'm very, very impressed with their service.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    i had 4 fitbit surges. 3 of them new warentee replacements before i finally gave in and bought a tomtom spark cardio.
  • I have the charge HR as well. Love the simplicity. I also run and lift weights. I've never had issues with anything breaking.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    jcdoerr wrote: »

Yup, I just sent them an email through the website, they were back to me within a couple of hours! I didn't even have my receipt, just told them where I bought it etc. I figure they could tell I had one because they would have looked up my account and been able to see that I'd been using it faithfully for years, then then all of a sudden, no synch. I'm very, very impressed with their service.

Fantastic, I'm going to try that. Bought it straight from their website as it was way back when the One first came out. Thanks for the help!!!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    edited October 2016
    I have the Blaze and like but also wear the zip as that is more accurate for step counting.

I have had a couple of fitbit models and only replaced for a newer one and have never had issues with them. Same with my husband.

The Blaze doesn't need to be tapped to see the display and you can buy different bands for it. They are changeable. And tracks HR too.
  • kyleskrinak

Fitbit has replaced every defect I've reported. Still, I'm tired of playing this game. I'd like to hear if there's a rugged wearable watch with comparable fitbit features.
  • kyleskrinak
    Update: I've contacted Fitbit. This is the first time they are not fully replacing my defective watch. I'd give them credit for doing so, so many times, but consider:
    1. The first time was for the Nickel recall of their original Force band
    2. The second time was when that replacement band failed in under a year of the nickel replacement band
    3. …and here I sit with an expensive, if unrugged, watch.

Fitbit has offered a 25% discount on a replacement watch. I feel like that mitigates what may ultimately be a bad gamble?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Have people had better experience with different brands?

I had my Garmin watch on my wrist when I got hit by a car. It was going 35 to 40 mph and I was riding my bike. I lost consciousness so I can't be sure about everything that happened, but I think my watch hit the hood of the car. When I came to, I was sure I had broken the arm I was wearing the watch on. It wasn't until the following day that the hospital released me. By extreme luck I hadn't broken anything although it took a few months to recover. Not a scratch on the watch. It worked as well after the accident as before. Fenix 3.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    I have had my flex for over 2.5 years. I have gone through bands either due to grubbiness or tears near where I pop the device in and out. But the replacements are pretty cheap. Also, I treat mine terribly. They say it's water resistant, but I wear mine showering and even several times in the ocean. It still holds it charge and syncs up beautifully. Maybe get one where you can replace the band? Even leather watch bands eventually wear out.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Ive had them all. Have the HR currently and Im pretty rough with it.
    The face has been scratched but thats nothing new with me.
    Amazon has little slip covers you can buy to slide over it.... so it can be a little more "fashionable".
    Im happy with its ability to keep up with me.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    I currently have a replacement Fitbit Charge HR. My 1st one had the HR sensor turn on and stay on constantly, so that the battery would last ~2 hours before dying. The band itself was starting to bubble and warp, and this was all within 1 year of ownership. Luckily they replaced it for free.

My wife also had a Charge HR, and the plastic bit on the back of the band broke off, making it nearly impossible to charge. They offered her a 25% discount on her next purchase.

Personally, I think Fitbit makes their stuff cheaply and offers the 25% discount so they can boast "increasing sales" as part of their marketing scheme when customers replace the broken units.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    The Charge is garbage, I no longer use Fitbit because of it.