Maintenance Seems Too Low?

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited September 2016
    Okay so the homemade bread seems pretty calorie dense. Suppose you make an open-faced sandwich (one slice of toast, of this bread, 138 cals) and put on one tablespoon of peanut butter (95 cals) instead of two, then one tablespoon of jam/jelly is 50 cals.

Roastwise, measure out 4 oz of meat, about 120 cals of whatever your chosen starch is (pretty much a half portion) and then load up on vegetables such as green beans, spinach, whatever nonstarchy veg you have.

If you haven't got a food scale, shop around for one on sale. I paid 15 bux for mine but I understand money is tight so look for free shipping, google for coupon codes, and such.

Frozen veggies in the big economy sized bags are usually the cheapest. Go for ones without any sauce or whatever added, just the veg. Large bags of mixed veg, green beans, broccoli. I grew up dirt poor and this was always our cheapest way to get vegetables.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I am glad to hear that number doesn't seem abnormally low!

Breakfast was 641 calories:
    My bread recipe is 276 calories for 2 slices,
    Peanut butter is 190 calories for a serving,
    Coffee jelly is 32 calories,
    and a brewed 12 fl oz mug of coffee w/ 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of non-dairy creamer is 143 calories

Lunch was 820 calories:
    The leftover pot roast was originally a slow-cooker 3lb roast, which I split up into 6 servings. I ate one serving for lunch, which MFP said was 677 calories.
    Coffee was made the same way as this morning.

I am full now, and will not eat dinner until about 8-8:30pm, but I couldn't have gone all the way until tomorrow on this.

EDIT: Hello, cmriverside! Looks like you posted while I was typing. Those foods you describe would be lovely, but planning just 21 dinners for 4 people put me at $100, and that was relying on things I already had preserved, spices I have already stockpiled, and meat purchased on sale. That leaves me with very little I can do for other meals, since dairy needs to be conserved for dinners. I am a breadbaker, so bread is something easy to come by.

Those are high calorie meals. It's been recommended that breakfast bee 300-400 calories, lunch 400 dinner 500 and then the rest for snacks or treats.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Coffee for me is 40 cal.....its 1/3 cup 1% milk and brewed coffee (0 cal) for a total of 40.
    Peanut butter is overrated, sorry. Dump the plain PB and use the powdered "PB2" peanut butter. mix 1 serving with a little water until the right consistency and you're all set. Save 145 cal right there. ditch the hi cal bread for 2 slices of 80-calorie bread. And my goodness throw an egg in there somewhere.
    A smart PB2 &J should be about 235 calories. Leaving 40 cal for coffee, 80 for an egg. You're up to 355 at that point. Have a dry serving of cheerios with that if you want, still at 455.

(Former ignoramus here....I used to just DUMP cereal in a bowl, and slather on as much peanut butter as would fit onto my English muffins. No more. I got wise.)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I am 5'4 105ish and it gives me the same amount but I eat 2100-2600 and maintain with 4x a week 1h exercise. I think you can definitely eat more you should experiment
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I found eating only two meals day works for me... brunch and supper. I had to work with timing. My family still eats 3, and has snacks.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    dang, it gave you more than me. five three, 120 lb and only 1400 for maintenance. I am confused as to how the foods you listed get anywhere near 1560 unless the portions are quite large?

this
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Personally, for satiation and nutrition, I'd keep the peanut butter (protein & fats) and eat it on one slice of bread instead, but it's your choice. It's good to (nutritionally) to spread protein through the day rather than eat it all at once if you can, and dropping the peanut butter at breakfast takes the breakfast protein (I would think) to a very negligible level. Just my opinion. The rest of your strategies sound good to me.

If you can't shoot, are there rabbits about at all? Can you snare them? (Google for instructions.) Fish from streams or lakes? Protein is important nutritionally, and satiating.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you can't shoot, are there rabbits about at all? Can you snare them? (Google for instructions.) Fish from streams or lakes? Protein is important nutritionally, and satiating.

Ha! I sent the OP a note suggesting she raise some rabbits as fish. Great minds think alike.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Peanut butter is very calorie dense. Bread is too. I NET 1270 but I eat around 1600. I have a lot of meals that come in around 300-400 and that gives me calories for snacks or for a bigger meal if I'm hungry. I drink coffee, tea, and water so that uses very few calories. I love to eat but put all my calories into things that have lots of flavor. And things that are calorie dense, I eat in small portions.
  • Op you sound like your handy in the kitchen, have you tried making yogurt? It's super easy, doesn't require any equipment, and you can make a gallon for the cost of a gallon of milk and a starter cup of yogurt. Might help you bulk up your protein in the morning until your eggs come in.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited October 2016
    beans for sure to bulk out meals

I wouldn't have all that stuff in coffee, which would save a heap of calories
    as for the bread - nothing like the taste of homemade bread, but what about sourdough? I find sourdough bread fills me up more than 'white' breads, even home-made white bread.

If you are going down the sustainable home-producing route, you might want to have a look at cook-book such as 'more-with-less' or others from the Mennonite community. Lots of ideas for eating and cooking on little money, although a lot are very calorie dense foods so you may need to be picky. I also have a copy of 'simply in season' which uses fresher foods and alternatives as well.

oh and soups.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    While you are waiting for your hens to start laying you can just buy eggs. Over the past year they've been exceedingly cheap and (between $0.39-$0.89 per dozen in my area). I also use a lot of canned vegetables that usually go on sale for less than $0.40/can (I'll buy a couple cases when that happens). I'm not on a limited budget fortunately, but I still usually spend well under $75/week to feed me and my two growing boys (only $40 last week). But I do hunt a lot of my meat and process it myself, which helps.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I'll just reiterate what everyone has said about beans. The last couple of weeks I've been buying dried beans & legumes and cooking crockpot meals. A bag of chick peas costs very little, a dollar , maybe. I made Indian chickpea dishes that make 12-14 servings. Make some rice and it's very filling and healthy. Chili made with beans and canned tomatoes. You can add ground turkey and the beans stretch the meal out and add more fiber and protein. Black eye peas & greens, rice & beans-all cheap and healthy and tasty, too. If you like Indian food I recommend The Indian Slow Cooker cookbook. Every recipe makes a lot of food.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Pathman1 wrote: »
    While you are waiting for your hens to start laying you can just buy eggs. Over the past year they've been exceedingly cheap and (between $0.39-$0.89 per dozen in my area). I also use a lot of canned vegetables that usually go on sale for less than $0.40/can (I'll buy a couple cases when that happens). I'm not on a limited budget fortunately, but I still usually spend well under $75/week to feed me and my two growing boys (only $40 last week). But I do hunt a lot of my meat and process it myself, which helps.

Wow! Eggs here are closer to $2/dozen, sometimes $1/dozen on sale. There's been an egg shortage in the US, I am surprised you are getting retail prices like that.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    robininfl wrote: »
    Pathman1 wrote: »

Wow! Eggs here are closer to $2/dozen, sometimes $1/dozen on sale. There's been an egg shortage in the US, I am surprised you are getting retail prices like that.

I was telling a friend the other day who wanted to know ideas for cheap dinners that she needed to get eggs, when im broke ill live off of them (they are exactly $0.99 in my area per dozen) and she looked at me like I was CRAZY. She lives in Iowa and they are running like 3-4 dollars a dozen right now, blew my mind.
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    My maintenance is only 1300 since I'm crazy short. It does suck but my Fitbit always adds calories for me unless I just lie around and don't do crap all day. I usually eat eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast and for dinner always a grilled meat of some sort and vegetables. Almost always have a half a peanut butter and honey sandwich after work. I know it isn't healthy but diet soda helps me in the afternoons. I'm not giving up on that. I love it.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    robininfl wrote: »

Supersaver had them for $0.99 per 18 pack last week (that's $0.66/dozen) and Trader Joes has them at $0.79/dozen as their current price. Around a month or two ago they were $0.39/dozen, but I don't know why they were that cheap. It must be regional that the prices are so low over here.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    TarahByte wrote: »
    My maintenance is only 1300 since I'm crazy short. It does suck but my Fitbit always adds calories for me unless I just lie around and don't do crap all day. I usually eat eggs or greek yogurt for breakfast and for dinner always a grilled meat of some sort and vegetables. Almost always have a half a peanut butter and honey sandwich after work. I know it isn't healthy but diet soda helps me in the afternoons. I'm not giving up on that. I love it.

Your TDEE is 1300? Out of interest how tall are you and what is your weight?