Bring your crockpot/slow cooker recipes

Replies

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    This is a really good thread. Thanks to all for the recipes that I'm going to be trying!
  • Ramb0Jo3
    Ramb0Jo3 Posts: 1 Member
    pizza
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Bump for later...almost crock pot season!!!! Yay!!!
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    My recipe is really simple, healthy and versatile... you can also use venison instead of chicken if you have it or pork if you wanted to use that as well

It just consists of the "meat", halved/quartered radishes, green onions, canned diced tomatoes w/green chilies, stock (chicken/beef/veggie, depending upon the kind of meat used) and some garlic, chili powder, cumin and black pepper, all to taste. You can pre cook/sauté the meat and add to it or if you are not concerned with really low carb, then you can coat the meat in flour and brown all sides then add to the crock pot so that it will thicken up a little...cook on high or low depending on when you need it finished... basically you want it to cook long enough that it turns the radishes more of like an opaque color, the same color a new potato would turn and just make sure your meat is cooked depending on if you pre cooked it or just seared it all sides. Versatility would come in if you wanted to add some additional vegetables as well... It's just the way I fix it gives my Mexican food craving a total fix!

I have fixed this same recipe with venison, chicken and pork and all of them are wonderful
    And yes, I use radishes instead of new potatoes. Once a radish is boiled, it takes on the flavor of a new potato or whatever you're boiling it in and is much lower in carbs (which I need for my glucose levels). No one that I've ever served it to could tell the difference. Here is a photo for reference:
    y5p4jtng0vuu.jpg
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Bump :D
  • luvstheocean
    luvstheocean Posts: 191 Member
    <3
  • rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Where can I buy the Crockpot liners? what section? I cant find them at Wal-Mart !! Help!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,113 Member
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    Where can I buy the Crockpot liners? what section? I cant find them at Wal-Mart !! Help!

They are in the same section as Zip-Lock storage bags and sandwich baggies, etc.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Cooking Light has an entire book (more?) on using a crock pot. I swear by mine (book and crockpot).
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    rinigirl76 wrote: »

Waste of $$$

I agree. Just spray with Pam or other such cooking spray.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,441 Member
    so happy I found this thread.... thanks to everyone for sharing their recipes much appreciated.

a quick question for those already in the know.. I bought a small crockpot (2.5QT) because i'm only cooking for one and although the plan is to freeze a few leftovers, a lot of the recipes I have found online are made for bigger family size crock pots.. i'm assuming I can just halve the ingredients for most dishes, but if anyone has any experience or tips about using a smaller size CP would appreciate it :smile:
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    I make this chili often: <3

Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili
    Serves: 8 servings

Ingredients
    •1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
    •1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
    •1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    •1 (15 ounce) can of chili beans, rinsed and drained
    •1 (15 ounce) can of corn, drained
    •2 cups chicken broth
    •2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (use 3 if they're small)
    •2 teaspoons garlic powder
    •2 teaspoons onion powder
    •2 teaspoons cumin
    •½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    •2-3 teaspoons chili powder
    •1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
    •toppings of your choice (cheese, sour cream, avocados, and tortilla strips)

Instructions
    1.Make sure you rinse the quinoa and then add everything into a 6 quart slow cooker.
    2.Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high. If you're using frozen chicken you may have to cook it longer.
    3.Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
    4.Garnish with cheese, sour cream, avocados, and tortilla strips.
  • chandramiller68
    I made this stew recently and it was delicious. I love experimenting with spices.
    The recipe calls for 'berbere spice mix' and provides a recipe to make your own. In that recipe it calls for 'fenugreek seed (or powder)', which I could not find. I researched it and substituted curry power for it.

http://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/2016/02/slow-cooker-ethiopian-chicken-lentil-stew.html
  • NJJO1415
    NJJO1415 Posts: 1 Member
    Teriyaki chicken

It's simple and fool proof..

Either chicken breast or thighs. (Boneless skinless)
    Low sodium soy sauce
    Brown sugar
    Black pepper
    Garlic either powder or fresh
    Onion powder
    Crushed pineapple

Amounts are completely to your individual taste.. Adjust cook time to the chicken you use. Dark meat I typically cook higher and longer..
    Serve with whatever..
  • chandramiller68
    Made this one yesterday, adapted from the original (non-slow cooker) recipe from no recipes.com (norecipes.com/blog/2010/02/08/japanese-curry-rice-recipe-video/). This is one of the all-time Japanese and Japanese-American comfort foods.

Japanese style chicken curry (makes 6-8 servings)

2 Sweet Onions
    4 Carrots
    4 Small Yellow Potatoes
    1 Apple
    2 lb Chicken Breast
    4 Cups Water
    1 Tsp Garam Masala
    1 Tbsp Coarse Sea Salt
    1 Cup Frozen Peas
    + Curry Roux (see below)

Thinly slice onions, cut carrots and potatoes into chunks, and put the veggies in the slow cooker. Core and peel apple and finely grate into the cooker. Place chicken breasts on top, and season with salt and garam masala (or you can substitute curry powder). Pour in the water, and cook on low for 6 hours

Just before the 6 hours is up, make the Roux

Curry Roux:

1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 Tbsp Garam Masala (or Curry Powder)
    3 Tbsp Tonkatsu Sauce (or Worchestire Sauce)
    2 Tbsp Ketchup

Over medium low heat melt butter and stir in flour to make Roux. When smooth, add Garam Masala and let toast for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sauce and ketchup.

Take chicken out and shred using two forks and return. Take a cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and mix into the roux and then pour back into the slow cooker. Add the peas and let it cook for another hour.

Serve over rice or noodles.

This sounds really yummy!
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Any Low sodium, or without the canned/packet soup? I need to cut sodium way down for me and my family.
  • anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    And yes, I use radishes instead of new potatoes. Once a radish is boiled, it takes on the flavor of a new potato or whatever you're boiling it in and is much lower in carbs

Excellent tip! I love roasted radishes but have never considered using them as a replacement for potatoes in a stew or pot roast. So great to learn a new trick!

• anntoureilles
    anntoureilles Posts: 18 Member
    Any Low sodium, or without the canned/packet soup? I need to cut sodium way down for me and my family.

Amy's makes some organic, low sodium soups. They are generally in the "health" or "organic" section. Also an excellent low sodium canned chili
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    KaciWood19 wrote: »
    cream cheese chicken:

1 package dry italian seasoning mix
    1 package low fat cream cheese
    1 package low sodium cream of chicken soup
    I do about 3 boneless skinless breasts cut up into chunks

cook on low 8-10 hours, serve over rice

GREAT for a cold day.

Oh my goodness I need this in my life
  • frankiem1207