40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,929 Member
    I got to the gym and did some strength training (upper body, abs and legs). I missed the classes at the gym (really wanted to try TRX), but ended up doing some cardio drumming for a challenge here at MFP. Weather is looking promising to get out to paddle tomorrow. :)
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Hello there!!! You guys have been busy!!!!!!! Wow!!!! I'm kinda jealous!! LOL I'm getting bored of my workouts, nothing organized, mostly free body weight workouts I find in the internet, etc. Have been thinking about joining a gym or perhaps hiring a personal trainer. I've never worked with a trainer, I'm a little skeptical about how much a trainer would help me with my goals which is mostly strength, shaping my body, not weight loss. Has anyone worked with a reputable online trainer that personalizes workouts? Suggestions welcome!!!

Have a great day!!!!!
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Feeling the effects of legs day yesterday... :# . Shoulders day today.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 Plyocide"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Strength workout with trainer this am. total body stuff: renegade rows w/pushups, planks, kb squats, skull crushers, weighted walking lunges, etc.

Track workout tonight will be fun with warm temps. Simple concept: 1 mile warmup, then 5 x 5min hard efforts, then 2 mile cool down. At end of each 5min block, drop a stick as a marker and walk back to start. Idea is to move the stick farther each round. Can get very competitive with a motivated group ;)
  • b3achy
    Got about 4.5 miles of paddling in today. Took about an hour and 45...went out during low tide, and I got stuck in a few places and had to adjust my planned route, so didn't get as many miles as I wanted. Was still exhausted after the workout.

@alf1163 - hmmm, never used an online trainer before.
    I've used a couple trainers at the gym over the years. If I am going to spend the money on a trainer, I'd rather see them in person since they provide so much good advice on proper form and can provide spot correction if you aren't doing something quite right.
    But trainers aren't cheap (at my gym they are $40/half hour or $70/hour); however, the guy that I got a free session with when I signed up at the gym made a good recommendation - if you hire a trainer, meet with them once or twice a month as the budget allows. Have the trainer provide advice, and then you are on your own to workout in between sessions but using their advice. And then at the next session you can work adjustments to the original advice. I'm thinking I'll book him for a few sessions in a few months when I'm prepping for spring race season.
    Another time, one of my gyms was running a special group session with a trainer to prep for ski season, and I lucked out because I was the only one who signed up. So I got about 6 weeks of one on one training at a group rate because the trainer still had the sessions just for me since they were going to be there anyway.
    If you decide to go the online route, let us know how it works out.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member

First time posting...just joined the "club" in the summer. It does make sense...if your body thinks it is starving, it stops burning as much....1270 is pretty low.

My doctor warned me that the first 20-30 pounds might (key word is might)
    come off relatively easy but I'd probably hit a plateau at some point (haven't yet but haven't hit 20 lost, either). Just focus on maintaining the positive habits. You may need to boost the exercise (carry small weights when you walk or add ankle weights?) to kick loss back into gear.

well , no.

The first part of your post refers to the myth of starvation mode. Nope. Not happening.
    You burn more calories than you eat, you lose weight. Every time.

Eating too little doesn't mske your body burn less just because you est less. Eating too little may cause you to binge. If you are not careful about how you record what you eat you tend to underestimate what you are consuming.

As you lose weight your body needs less calories to maintain just due to the lower mass. So you have to eat less as you lide to keep losing.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    @alf163, I understand Donica Storino offers online training, she is a kettlebell champion and I've taken a couple of her seminars. I think she's involved in a setup caked fizekel, you can find her on Facebook or probably google.

Still using the same kickboxing and kettlebell workouts Ann's now getting my diet tweaked by a personal trainer, so here's hoping there's some downward momentum in weight and body fat.
  • gam3rguy
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done!
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    It is typhoon week here so looks like indoor activities in the coming few days :#
  • tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    AOS Providence done. Late night last night (comedy fest) but still a decent workout. :)
  • b3achy
    narak_lol wrote: »
    It is typhoon week here so looks like indoor activities in the coming few days :#

Stay safe @narak_lol - your typhoons are similar to our hurricanes, so understand the angst in waiting for the storm to pass.

I just fixed my A/C which involves a bit of ladder climbing. Off to the gym for some strength training. Debating on taking a class since my shoulder is still pretty achy.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Thank you very much for your concern @b3achy I hope your achy shoulder recovers quickly and can hit the gym again soon!
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Jim Stoppanie's shortcut to size: Back, Biceps and Abs done! Was totally what i wanted. most probably will be my next lifting program
  • gam3rguy
    "P90X2 X2 Chest + Shoulders + Tris & X2 Ab Ripper"=Done!
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Strength: Body Beast: Build Legs!
  • b3achy
    Thanks @narak_lol - it will heal...eventually. Hoping you are safe...glad to see it is a bit weaker, but don't let your guard down.

Today, got a 90 minute paddle in (3.53 miles)...was supposed to be an easy paddle, but some headwinds kept that from happening today. Going to take a break until at least Sunday before I head out again. Need to get back to doing my planks - been a slacker with those. At least it's almost Friday!