why does sugar make us fat

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    cnlrdb6owv0u.jpeg
    makingmark wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    ok so I've tried a lil experiment on myself a number of times.

I will eat the same cals = 2100

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

Why would this be if I'm eating the same amount of calories?

One week is not a good gauge of anything. So many other variables. Sodium intake, exercise, muscles needing to repair, normal weight fluctuation.
    The one thing that it would be indicative is that you fall in line with the majority of the population and aren't as sated when eating sugars as when protein and fat. But as has been gone over ad nauseum in this thread, what actually makes us feel full may vary from person to person, whether it is a physiological or psychological response to the food we eat ultimately doesn't matter as long as we each find what works best to help us eat less calories.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

So many factors influence our weight - likely what you are seeing is a shift in water weight when you cut carbs vs when you are eating more carbs. Sodium might also play a role, hormones, change in exercise routine, stress, etc. 1 week is not enough to measure true impact of any change.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Glycogen stores. Look them up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Hey guys, low carb makes you fat!
    Here's proof: Eat a diet high in carbs (lots of veggies and fruits and other goodies!) then a diet of nothing but bacon, eggs, spare ribs, bulletproof coffee... No evil carbs! All healthy saturated fats, yummie.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Here's proof: Eat a diet high in carbs (lots of veggies and fruits and other goodies!) then a diet of nothing but bacon, eggs, spare ribs, bulletproof coffee... No evil carbs! All healthy saturated fats, yummie.

Challenge accepted!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016

Lots of carbs, especially depending on the kinds you choose, probably cause a water weight shift. Low carb would do the opposite. It's meaningless.

For hunger, that suggests that protein is satiating for you, as it is for me.

I suspect that how hungry one is eating a high carb diet depends completely on the carbs one picks for most people, though. I mentioned in another thread that I had a high sugar breakfast/carb breakfast (also quite low fat and high protein), and for me that is much more filling than a high fat, low carb, low protein breakfast. A high carb, low protein, low fiber breakfast would not be filling for me either, and that would be true no matter how much fat I added. 300 cal donut (half fat, half sugar, low fiber, low protein) -- not filling for me. 300 cal oatmeal with fruit and protein powder -- filling. 300 cal eggs and butter -- not filling (some protein, but not enough given the rest of the meal). But I'm not saying this is all true for everyone -- on satiety people differ. I just get annoyed when people say "carbs" aren't filling when the main carbs they mean are sweet treats (also high fat) or soda. I know I'd have no satiety issues on a high carb, low fat plant based diet with lots of veg and legumes (did it during Lent one year). I'd want other foods and don't have the ethical commitment to do such a diet, but satiety would not be my problem.

Edit: I also missed the chocolate for lunch. Yeah, that wouldn't be satiating for me either, or part of a typical idea of a balanced, healthful diet, although on occasion, whatever. It confirms my suspicion that there was something more going on than macros. For comparison, as I mentioned in another thread, my breakfast had 37 g of carbs (23 sugar), and I know from experience that I will be just as sated for just as long (I normally don't eat from 6 am to 12, but not uncommonly have lunch more like 2) as when I have my other favorite breakfast (which happens to be pretty low carb) of a vegetable omelet with smoked salmon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I gained three pounds from last weeks weigh in to this weeks...does that mean that I consumed an extra 10,500 calories in seven days? No, it means I skipped two days working out this week and then did a heavy leg day yesterday, so I am retaining more water...

Run that experiment over a six week period and then report back...
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev
  • serapel
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I gained three pounds from last weeks weigh in to this weeks...does that mean that I consumed an extra 10,500 calories in seven days? No, it means I skipped two days working out this week and then did a heavy leg day yesterday, so I am retaining more water...

Run that experiment over a six week period and then report back...

I would feel like complete crap if I did that for 3 weeks. I couldn't do it.
  • serapel
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Lots of carbs, especially depending on the kinds you choose, probably cause a water weight shift. Low carb would do the opposite. It's meaningless.

For hunger, that suggests that protein is satiating for you, as it is for me.

I suspect that how hungry one is eating a high carb diet depends completely on the carbs one picks for most people, though. I mentioned in another thread that I had a high sugar breakfast/carb breakfast (also quite low fat and high protein), and for me that is much more filling than a high fat, low carb, low protein breakfast. A high carb, low protein, low fiber breakfast would not be filling for me either, and that would be true no matter how much fat I added. 300 cal donut (half fat, half sugar, low fiber, low protein) -- not filling for me. 300 cal oatmeal with fruit and protein powder -- filling. 300 cal eggs and butter -- not filling (some protein, but not enough given the rest of the meal). But I'm not saying this is all true for everyone -- on satiety people differ. I just get annoyed when people say "carbs" aren't filling when the main carbs they mean are sweet treats (also high fat) or soda. I know I'd have no satiety issues on a high carb, low fat plant based diet with lots of veg and legumes (did it during Lent one year). I'd want other foods and don't have the ethical commitment to do such a diet, but satiety would not be my problem.

Edit: I also missed the chocolate for lunch. Yeah, that wouldn't be satiating for me either, or part of a typical idea of a balanced, healthful diet, although on occasion, whatever. It confirms my suspicion that there was something more going on than macros. For comparison, as I mentioned in another thread, my breakfast had 37 g of carbs (23 sugar), and I know from experience that I will be just as sated for just as long (I normally don't eat from 6 am to 12, but not uncommonly have lunch more like 2) as when I have my other favorite breakfast (which happens to be pretty low carb) of a vegetable omelet with smoked salmon.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense.
  • serapel
    There was a dude who lost weight on a MacDonald's only diet...can't remember his name. That would be awesome!!! I love MacD's frenchfries. YUM.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    There was a dude who lost weight on a MacDonald's only diet...can't remember his name. That would be awesome!!! I love MacD's frenchfries. YUM.

So do it

It was about calorie control and nutritional guidelines
  • serapel
    Sued0nim wrote: »

So do it

It was about calorie control and nutritional guidelines

yeah...I"m actually eating at McD's tonight with my kids before their activity.
  • queenliz99
    psulemon wrote: »

Challenge accepted!!!!

Me too! I can seriously eat a kitten load of baby back ribs. My hubby makes them in the smoker!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

queenliz99 wrote: »

Challenge accepted!!!!

Me too! I can seriously eat a kitten load of baby back ribs. My hubby makes them in the smoker!

That's strange @queenliz99 most people like pig ribs

Takes all sorts

• queenliz99
    edited October 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Challenge accepted!!!!

That's strange @queenliz99 most people like pig ribs

Takes all sorts

Not me. I like little bitty kitty ribs!