Diet soda

2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    ENERGY IS NOT SOMEHTING THAT EXISTS , YOU *kitten* I N G MORONS. WHEN YOU DRINK WATER , YOU ARE INGESTED ATOMS. WHEN YOU EAT FOOD YOU EAT CARBON ATOMS.

CALORIES DO NOT EXIST. ENERGY IS STRICTLY ABSTRACTION- PURELY MNATHEMATICAL FICTION ONLY. CALORIES CAN NEVER MORPH INTO BODILY FAT TISSUE, FOOLS.
    :laugh:
    You're so angry it makes me laugh.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Nachise wrote: »
    Diet sodas, well...all sodas contain sodium, which in high amounts, can affect kidney function and cause you to retain water weight. Additionally, this is complicated by the amounts of potassium and phosphorus in diet sodas, both of which will adversely affect kidney function. If you are knocking back more than a couple of 12oz diet sodas a day, you may want to look at dropping those altogether and switch to water. Being kind to your kidneys will help you lose weight.

Diet soda has 40mg of sodium per 12 oz can or less than 2% of the daily recommended sodium limit (2300 mg). Not sure how that is going to be cause for concern... especially since diet soda is 95% water.

Staying in a calorie deficit is far more impactful on weight loss than "being kind to your kidneys", whatever that means.

If they are like my dogs, then daily walks, regular feeding, attention, play time, and copious cuddles.

ENERGY IS NOT SOMEHTING THAT EXISTS , YOU *kitten* I N G MORONS. WHEN YOU DRINK WATER , YOU ARE INGESTED ATOMS. WHEN YOU EAT FOOD YOU EAT CARBON ATOMS.

CALORIES DO NOT EXIST. ENERGY IS STRICTLY ABSTRACTION- PURELY MNATHEMATICAL FICTION ONLY. CALORIES CAN NEVER MORPH INTO BODILY FAT TISSUE, FOOLS.

Thank you, this has been immensely helpful.

OP, there isn't much sodium in diet drinks. Is there something else you are doing differently during those weeks? Personally I'm not a fan of the taste of artificial sweeteners. Although I do have a few products that contain them simply because I don't want to take the caloric hit. I haven't noticed a difference. Have you been tracking exercise, stress levels, sleep, total calories, sodium levels during the weeks you are drinking the diet soda compared to the ones you aren't, etc? There are a bunch of variables. I'm assuming from your user name that you are a guy, so TOM isn't the issue.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Diet sodas, well...all sodas contain sodium, which in high amounts, can affect kidney function and cause you to retain water weight. Additionally, this is complicated by the amounts of potassium and phosphorus in diet sodas, both of which will adversely affect kidney function. If you are knocking back more than a couple of 12oz diet sodas a day, you may want to look at dropping those altogether and switch to water. Being kind to your kidneys will help you lose weight. If I need a caffeine kick, I'll drink coffee or tea.

I'm still burning to know where you people get the idea from that soda contains sodium. Just the name? Or did some website tell you?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

Same all-caps, "logic," and language as an initial post in another thread this morning. Different user name, though.

Not sure what the point is, only the anger is obvious.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    Diet sodas, well...all sodas contain sodium, which in high amounts, can affect kidney function and cause you to retain water weight. Additionally, this is complicated by the amounts of potassium and phosphorus in diet sodas, both of which will adversely affect kidney function. If you are knocking back more than a couple of 12oz diet sodas a day, you may want to look at dropping those altogether and switch to water. Being kind to your kidneys will help you lose weight. If I need a caffeine kick, I'll drink coffee or tea.

I'm still burning to know where you people get the idea from that soda contains sodium. Just the name? Or did some website tell you?

I've always wondered where this idea came from as well. Maybe this time we will get the answer!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

I've always wondered where this idea came from as well. Maybe this time we will get the answer!

Because it listed on the container?

u2oxtq9c4cvf.jpg
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited October 2016
    Yeah my caffeine-free diet coke that I'm drinking right now contains 40 mg sodium for the can.

eta: Diet-Right cola doesn't contain any sodium, but I don't know if it's available everywhere. I'm in the CA Bay Area.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    <<< drinks diet drinks daily. Lost 130lbs.......enough evidence to me that tweaking my calorie intake was the only factor that made this happen.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

u2oxtq9c4cvf.jpg

Well, yeah, but that's right next to the thing that tells you it's a tiny amount (2%), so that can't possibly the reason someone fear mongers against it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    This is just my opinion based on experiences among friends and family. I think sometimes when we perform these types of experiments on ourselves, we have a subconscious expectation of what the outcome will be, and can bias the outcome by unconsciously excluding data that doesn't fit the expectation and focusing on data that does, or by truncating the experiment as soon as the expectation is proven, without continuing long enough to see a real trend. I know I've done this myself. OP, I'm not suggesting this is what's going on here, but I don't think a few weeks is a fair trial since meaningless weight fluctuations can occur over over even longer periods of time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

u2oxtq9c4cvf.jpg

Well, yeah, but that's right next to the thing that tells you it's a tiny amount (2%), so that can't possibly the reason someone fear mongers against it.

Yep, it's such a tiny amount. Critically thinking is hard, let the fear mongers do it for me.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    i dont know the exact science behind it but I pretty much only drink water and green tea and it's definitely made a huge difference. I'd suggest probably cutting out sodas altogether, or maybe just have one every once in awhile ( I still enjoy the occasional sprite) the thing is even if it's low in calories i'd imagine diet sodas still have some kind of high sugar content which isn't the best thing for you/

Diet soda has 0 sugar and 0 calories.

OP-I lost 50lbs while drinking diet soda every single day and I've maintained that loss for several years now, still drinking diet soda every single day.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I missed angry all-caps guy again? I thrive on that!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I missed angry all-caps guy again? I thrive on that!

Right?! :lol:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    This idea that diet soda or any soda contains excessive sodium is very strange.

A perfunctory look at the label of diet soda vs the label of bottled water shows it is about the same ( tap water too but I know you haven't got a label to check that)

Potassium is in many foods- sure, if you are in renal failure you do have to avoid high potassium foods like bananas.
    But I am assuming that is not most of us on MFP - so is totally irelevant.