Trader Joes

Replies

• flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    leaninsc wrote: »
    I discovered their pumpkin spice caramel filled chocolates this past month, and those were really tasty too.
    Wait what? Oh @neldabg I may have to try those... oh boy.

Oh the Satay Peanut Sauce is also really good and pretty good nutrition label.

You will not be disappointed!

4d48cone7j09.jpg
    9ag7h9dzcsqm.jpg

I am stopping by TJ today to pick me up some of those!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Oh boy!!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Their mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion chopped) mix in produce section. Their prepared balsamic grilled chicken breasts and lemon pepper chicken breasts, great for salads. Vanilla soy milk. Greek yogurt. Coffee is good and cheap. Flowers. Wine of course. Just love their seasonal dessert items - so fun and festive.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    pound plus milk chocolate with almonds
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    I haven't been there in a while (may go on Friday when I get off early from work after this thread) but I really love their hatch green chile mac and cheese - not a bad calorie count on it either. Also they have some really great brittles around the holidays. They have great prices on things like chia seeds and hemp hearts, which I like to add to my oatmeal, and the frozen macarons (not macaroons, like the spellcheck on here keeps trying to tell me is how to spell it) are great. Oh and the mini ice cream cones are the best I have ever had - and only like 75 calories each. And honestly a lot of their other frozen foods are good too - I haven't tried one that I didn't like, which is surprising.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I love their freezer section. Riced cauliflower, grilled asparagus, grilled cauliflower, turkey meatballs, shrimp stir-fry and the chicken chile lime burgers are all amazing
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    I am really grooving on the fresh riced cauliflower and riced broccoli that has recently arrived at my local TJ's - it's making healthy eating so much more convenient! Also love their frozen Indian food (though I'm careful about the calories) - a new Korma Fish Curry just arrived, and I'm trying for lunch for the first time today.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    I love Trader Joes.

The cheese section is fantastic, and the best priced for some of the fancier cheeses that I've seen anywhere. Wine too.

Produce is kind of hit or miss, but they consistently have some stuff that's sometimes hard to find at other stores (leeks, fennel), and some of the prepared produce is a nice time/energy saver (peeled and cubed butternut squash, mirepoix).

Their frozen food is really good, and a lot of it is pretty healthy (There are some calorie bombs, so read labels!). I am a big fan of their individual servings of spinach lasagna and eggplant parmesan. Their frozen veggies are really good quality, the fire roasted peppers are a favorite of mine for making burrito bowls, or fajitas.

They have a nice selection of dried fruits, and nuts and snack mixes, depending on how those fit in your calorie goals.

Not healthy at all, but incredibly delicious things too. Pumpkin pie ice cream is to die for. The cookie butter cups are phenomenal. The appetizers are great, but pretty caloric, like mac and Cheese balls, pigs in a blanket, etc.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I love their freezer section. Riced cauliflower, grilled asparagus, grilled cauliflower, turkey meatballs, shrimp stir-fry and the chicken chile lime burgers are all amazing

Agreed! I LOVE the chicken chile lime burgers, so good! And parsnip chips!
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    My staples are the organic nonfat European style yogurt, Nature's Path Flax Plus cereal, a variety of coffees, the sweet corn with cheese and green chiles tamales, the frozen wild Alaskan Coho Salmon filets, fire-roasted frozen corn, frozen organic spinach, avocados, the Tunisian Chetouli olive oil, the champagne citrus vinegar, and so many other things. I'm lucky to have four within easy driving distance.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I shop there but can't say I'm obsessed w/TJoes. I find it expensive for most items, so I just pick and choose when I go there, looking for things on sale or priced competitively w/other stores.

Actually, just stopped in a few mins ago and bought some ground coffee (2lbs for $9.99), a lb of dried Turkish apricots for under $5 and a pkg of basil for $3, which were the best deals I saw today.

The only "must buy" item for me at TJoes Is the pre-made Hollandaise sauce. It's the only place that I know that sells it. Saves me the time/trouble to make it when I want to have some Eggs Benedict for breakfast Yum! :)

Expensive? Wow...never heard anyone say that. It is considered very inexpensive here.

I don't go often (they are a 45 min drive from me) but when I do, I pick up olive oil, marinara sauce, salsa verde, and whatever else looks yummy at the time. I also ALWAYS check the shelves to see if they have any Danish Kringles. They get different flavors in, but only a few times a year, and once they are gone, that's it. They sell for 7.99, and they are insanely good, and freeze well. Or you can order them online from the baker in Racine, Wisconsin, where they fly out the door for
    $20!! :ohttps://www.kringle.com/store/kringle-multi-pack
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I love Trader Joe's but the closest one is a bit of a drive for me. I get to go once every couple of months, but I stock up on my favorites.

Green Dragon Hot Sauce
    Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
    Chicken Gyoza Pot Stickers
    Steamable Cauliflower Rice
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I shop there but can't say I'm obsessed w/TJoes. I find it expensive for most items, so I just pick and choose when I go there, looking for things on sale or priced competitively w/other stores.

Expensive? Wow...never heard anyone say that. It is considered very inexpensive here.

Now, you have. ;)

I live in the SF Bay Area where there are discount markets, like WinCo and FoodMaxx, available to me.

Trader Joe's ranks up there in price with Whole Foods, Sprouts and Raleys but each does carry some discounted (loss leader) and some specialty items only available at their stores that I look out for when I shop there, like the Hollandaise sauce I can only get at Trader Joe's.

However, for common items, I usually buy them where I can get them cheapest and rhat is seldom at Trader Joe's.
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    They have some cilantro dressing that I love using on my salads !
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm obsessed with this recipe:
    1 package Trader Joe's cooked lentils
    1 container Trader Joe's Fresh Bruschetta Sauce
    1 container Trader Joe's crumbled Feta Cheese with Mediterranean Herbs

Mix together and eat. I usually also add an entire bunch of shredded dino kale. Divide into four servings. I usually do this and call it lunch for four days.

Nutrition Facts

Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 337
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 13 g 20 %
    Saturated Fat 5 g 23 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 23 mg 8 %
    Sodium 1065 mg 44 %
    Potassium 123 mg 4 %
    Total Carbohydrate 34 g 11 %
    Dietary Fiber 11 g 44 %
    Sugars 8 g
    Protein 21 g 43 %
    Vitamin A 97 %
    Vitamin C 74 %
    Calcium 21 %
    Iron 27 %

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited October 2016
    Yes, we love it! Most of my regularly logged foods are from TJs.
    Favorites: green dragon hot sauce (spicy but great on all things Tex/Mex and even as a salad dressing), wine, coffee, 85% dark chocolate, frozen vegetables, eggs, spices, oatmeal, nuts, cheese, chicken burgers, fish nuggets--pretty much you name it!! Of course many of the pumpkin items have made it into our cart lately! The pumpkin joe-joes were yummy but sold out already.

I also love that most items are free of artificial colors and flavors, and the small store size and limited number of products makes for easy decision-making and a quicker grocery shopping trip (unless I'm sans kiddos--then I tend to linger!).
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Oh the Green Dragon hot sauce is so good! Someone just told me to try the riced broccoli. Spray of extra virgin olive oil, onion, fresh garlic and/or ginger.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    For those of you near one, I noticed in their weekly ad that HEB also sells premade cauliflower rice.

I really need to pick up some of their cheese one day. I forget every time I'm actually in one.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    They have black bean noodles that are fun. I also really like their soups in the cardboard containers. My favorites are the roasted red pepper and tomato, and the black bean soup.

When I'm in a pinch, their frozen section is great for reasonably healthy food fast. They have tons of frozen veggies so sometimes I'll grab the frozen chicken teriyaki, a bag of frozen stir fry veggies or broccoli and some frozen steamer bags of a wild rice blend.

The trader's grotto pizza sauce is cheap ($1.99) and I can get two or three pizzas out of it. And it tastes pretty good.

Their seasonal goodies are my love/arch nemesis. Last year, they had this peppermint chocolate cheesecake and I just...
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I have yet to find food that I find worthy enough to deal with the disastrous parking lot. :D