Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I like 3 meals and maybe an evening snack if I have room for it. I don't like mini-meals as grazing leads to me thinking about food all day long, which is not good for me.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    I'm a 3 meals and evening snack type myself. My morning and afternoon snacks consist of coffee lol. Lots of coffee.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I like 3 meals and maybe an evening snack if I have room for it. I don't like mini-meals as grazing leads to me thinking about food all day long, which is not good for me.

Same. I'd rather not be bothered with food all day long.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I only do 1 meal usually. Then graze the rest of the time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    Random but does anyone else find they do better eating 3 larger meals a day vs smaller meals. Smaller meals I end up not satisfied and hungry and overeating where 3 larger meals hold me over longer between meals.

Meal timing and meal frequency will not make any difference in terms of weight loss or gain. Where they come into the equation is 1) In terms of performance for high level athletes, 2) In terms of satiety. For most people number 1 is not going to be an issue since they are not looking to compete at an international level where meal timing will make a difference. That means the second issue is what is important for most people, and there is a lot of variability between people in what works for them to be satisfied. For some few large meals are far more satisfying. For others, many small meals is more satisfying. The practical message of all this is find and eating pattern that works for you to keep at your calorie goal long term whatever that pattern might be. It is all about how it helps you as an individual comply to your goals.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited October 2016
    Random but does anyone else find they do better eating 3 larger meals a day vs smaller meals. Smaller meals I end up not satisfied and hungry and overeating where 3 larger meals hold me over longer between meals.

Meal timing and meal frequency will not make any difference in terms of weight loss or gain. Where they come into the equation is 1) In terms of performance for high level athletes, 2) In terms of satiety. For most people number 1 is not going to be an issue since they are not looking to compete at an international level where meal timing will make a difference. That means the second issue is what is important for most people, and there is a lot of variability between people in what works for them to be satisfied. For some few large meals are far more satisfying. For others, many small meals is more satisfying. The practical message of all this is find and eating pattern that works for you to keep at your calorie goal long term whatever that pattern might be. It is all about how it helps you as an individual comply to your goals.

Yeah i figured as much. I just noticed the smaller I'm getting obviously my tdee is getting lower as well since 70 pounds of weight is a lot of mass to no longer be moving around. It's easier to function on 3 600 calorie meals than 6 300 calorie meals.

Seem to be more common then the diet industry would make you/me think to do normal meals not multi meals.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I plan for a "normal" dinner (700-800 cals) with my family and a moderate lunch--around 400 calories. Then I use what is left on snacks and/or breakfast. Sometimes I don't eat breakfast if I'm not hungry and just have a larger afternoon snack. When your goal is 1500 or below, it is hard to do multiple meals and have them satisfy. At least for me. (Small person with low TDEE here. Like 1600-1700. Unless I run every day and I don't want to do that because it means I have to skip weights. So messes up recomp. Even at that I have to run at least twice a week to keep the gain in check. )
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I've got a lot to learn - thread bookmarked
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    I also find I do better on 3 larger meals. I eat about every 3.5-4 hours... I have a big breakfast, a big lunch, a carb snack (sweet potato, brown rice, oats, etc), and a big dinner. It doesn't change my number of calories or macros, but what it has really helped is with my portion control. It's kind of like these are my meals for the day and I stick to them. And just when I am starting to get hungry, it's time to eat again.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Is one's eating schedule directly related in some way to recomposition (main topic of this excellent thread)? Or is it just a general satiation strategy?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is one's eating schedule directly related in some way to recomposition (main topic of this excellent thread)? Or is it just a general satiation strategy?

As long as your eating schedule allows you to have a good strong workout, and gives your body something to recover with later - it's up to your ability to adhere.

So if a small snack 1 hr before getting off work and lifting helps performance, then some shifting of calories would be of benefit.

Or if you ate all your calories through the day prior to a late workout, and you went to bed hungry and body wants to start recovery then - well, that's no good.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Agree w/Heybales. I workout three days a week, usually in the morning. I have a small bowl of Cheerios w/1 or 2% milk prior to going to the gym and have a homemade smoothie when I get back, a small lunch later in the day and then dinner. If I'm hungry later on I'll have a small snack between lunch & dinner. I tried the five - six small meals a day; didn't work for me; you just have to do what works for you. Definitely agree on Heybales comment that going to bed hungry (especially after a workout) is not good. B)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Yes, this works for me. Three meals and I have a small snack before bed, like a 125 gram yogurt.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As long as your eating schedule allows you to have a good strong workout, and gives your body something to recover with later - it's up to your ability to adhere.

So if a small snack 1 hr before getting off work and lifting helps performance, then some shifting of calories would be of benefit.

Or if you ate all your calories through the day prior to a late workout, and you went to bed hungry and body wants to start recovery then - well, that's no good.

Excersize in the mornings is when I may have a snack afterward if the mid day meal, which is the largest meal of the day, seems a long way away, and depends on the amount of excersize I got.

We have a traditional schedule. I don't lift or go to a gym, although I think the same applies. I make sure the snack, usually fruit and or nuts, isn't too close to meal times though because then I spoil my appetite for the main meal,which is always balanced and lots of freshly prepared and healthy foods.

• griffinca2
    I usually have abt 1/2 c of 2% cottage cheese before bed most nights.
  • griffinca2
    Amazing job; congrats!! B)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Glad someone directed me to this thread!
    I myself had reached goal 2 years ago but I was obsessed for 3 years getting there. Stressed, logged, weighted and measured everything, exercised 7 days a week etc. It caught up to me and this past year I crashed! Gained a good 10 lbs. now trying to get back into routine but not going as harsh as I did prior. No logging measuring etc. Just watching portions and baking good choices and trying to exercise 5 days a week. I'm hypo thyroid and struggling!!! Not 1 lb gone etc. I'm not going to give up cause I know before it was very slow coming off but it's sure discouraging! This time the lack of motivation is hard so I'm trying a new program. Befit in 90 and I like it but don't think there enough lifting in it???

Any suggestions ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    lin7604 wrote: »
    I myself had reached goal 2 years ago but I was obsessed for 3 years getting there. Stressed, logged, weighted and measured everything, exercised 7 days a week etc. It caught up to me and this past year I crashed! Gained a good 10 lbs. now trying to get back into routine but not going as harsh as I did prior. No logging measuring etc. Just watching portions and baking good choices and trying to exercise 5 days a week. I'm hypo thyroid and struggling!!! Not 1 lb gone etc. I'm not going to give up cause I know before it was very slow coming off but it's sure discouraging! This time the lack of motivation is hard so I'm trying a new program. Befit in 90 and I like it but don't think there enough lifting in it???

Any suggestions ?

Hey... glad to see you are back in the game. Is your hypo under control through meds?

If you are going to try and make the best of something like a recomp, then a solid progressive overload lifting routine would be ideal (like a StrongCurves, NROL4W, etc..) but if you have limitations of equipment or inability to get to a gym, then there are a few full body dumbbell routines in the link I posted, as well as body weight programs.

Anecdotally, some of the women I have seen with great success with hypo, tend to limit carbs a bit and increase fats. Protein should be about .8g to 1g per lb of weight (since you are fairly lean).
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    lin7604 wrote: »

Any suggestions ?

Hey... glad to see you are back in the game. Is your hypo under control through meds?

If you are going to try and make the best of something like a recomp, then a solid progressive overload lifting routine would be ideal (like a StrongCurves, NROL4W, etc..) but if you have limitations of equipment or inability to get to a gym, then there are a few full body dumbbell routines in the link I posted, as well as body weight programs.

Anecdotally, some of the women I have seen with great success with hypo, tend to limit carbs a bit and increase fats. Protein should be about .8g to 1g per lb of weight (since you are fairly lean).

Thank you! No it's not under control at all. I feel like crap, saw a new endo dr and she didn't do much. Upper my meds in late aug. went for my blood work today to see what my numbers look like but I don't think it's going to make a difference! :(. I know it plays a huge role as I'm utterly exhausted daily!!!
    I have select tech weights at home and that it. No gym access or anything. I only get 30 min a day to exercise.... which links are you talking about? For st home dumbbell programs?