Depression and Weight Loss

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Thanks SaraKim. It has been too long. I am on day two of moving my mind and body in the same direction. Early days but it feels great to remember that I have choices. Nothing is deeply engrained in us that we cannot change our pathways or direction. One day at a time!!!

One day at a time is right. It's so easy to get off track.

One day I need to get on my laptop and post a bit more. It's hard to type on my tablet. Reading this thread has helped me so much this year, and I'm so thankful that you started it. I hope we can all keep it going!
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Hello all,
    I think I'm back. I'm struggling with apathy, but I really don't know if it's a med side-effect or a depression symptom. at any rate, i'm tricking myself into caring, if that makes any sense whatsoever.
    my goal for this coming week is to log everything i eat into MFP. thanks for helping me with accountability :)

hope everyone is still putting one foot in front of the other, myra
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    There is some truth to the proposition that we should "fake it till we make it" because we may not be able to overcome Depression (often disguised as apathy). Our moods set the scene for our degree of initiative and motivation and we can fall hostage to the feelings of indifference and frustration. So....the best decision may well be to set up routines and tasks and follow our plans regardless of our internal emotions and just get the job done. We are creatures of habit after all and we can program our minds to push through even the toughest moments. Nothing is easy that is worth having.
    Take care
    Shel
  • shelleygold
    Well, the road to good health has many twists and turns. I have made several attempts to "start" again and this is my latest one. I will try and do things differently this time and make myself accountable for what I am eating and more importantly, what I am putting into my body. So easy to make excuses but harder to be realistic and consistent. Here I go again.
    Shel
  • 68myra
    We are here for you, Shel

I humbly suggest you make your first "mini goal" small and easy to achieve. that's what helps me, anyway.
    Myra
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Well, the road to good health has many twists and turns. I have made several attempts to "start" again and this is my latest one. I will try and do things differently this time and make myself accountable for what I am eating and more importantly, what I am putting into my body. So easy to make excuses but harder to be realistic and consistent. Here I go again.
    Shel

As long as we don't give up! I like Myra's idea above and think I may try it. I tend to have a lot of "all or nothing" thinking, which isn't helpful. I can also go from being so anxious I can't eat to so stressed I eat anything junky in site.

Glad you're back. :)
  • 68myra
    @SaraKim17 I can SO relate. I was just complaining this morning about my black&white thinking! it's a bugger.
    my focus this week is to eat more whole foods and less processed ones. when i do this, i feel my best (physically and mentally) I do anticipate eating birthday cake on friday (my daughter will be 12) and my goal is to enjoy it without guilt and move forward without the downward spiral that usually follows ;)

happy monday everyone!
    myra
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mini goals are great. makes things less insurmountable looking.

i was in a funk. but i think i'm coming around. rennaissance faire is a great antidepressant. walked 5miles while i was there
  • shelleygold
    Hey gang,
    Just wanted to touch base as I have not written for a while. Hope everyone is well and managing their goals and objectives with passion and commitment. We are all perfectly imperfect so there is no such thing as failure. Just different learning experiences that helps us learn about ourselves as we go through the challenges of emotional regulation and healthy eating. It is great to be a part of this positive group and I look forward to reading what people have to say as it is always interesting and inspiring.

Talk Soon
    Shel
  • 68myra
    I am holding on to a renewed glimmer of hope that i am making progress in physical therapy, and will once again be able to exercise.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Myra, good for you for keeping your hope up. Congrats on the progress in physical therapy. That's very positive.
  • shelleygold
    Hey group,
    Time to recommit to the thread and the concepts of self-care and getting fit. How is everyone? Do you think this thread is still of value? Please let me know.
    Shel
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Doh! I didn't see my notifications and missed a bunch of postings.
    I'm doing well. Bracing myself for winter, which is when the gloom hits. Indoor exercise regimen starting to ramp back up after a summer of lots and lots of walking.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    I missed a lot too. I definitely agree, black & white thinking is a big difficulty factor for me. I'm working on that. I actually made a decision to help my physical & mental health recently. I dropped down to part time at university. Most people think this is unacceptable to do unless you are working full time, etc on top of your course work. But I am not working, so the shame of it is something I struggle with. But I need to treat my overall health as a "course" something I have to do constantly for improvement. I started to fall back & was curling up into myself, crying a lot and I started eating junk again. But this time, for whatever reason, I managed to pull myself back after dropping that course. Feeling less overwhelmed has helped.

@shelleygold I think this thread is still of value, but I do wonder if a group might be more coherent? Just a thought.
  • shelleygold
    Hi everyone,
    It is so easy to become swept up in our own lives. I intend to dedicate more time to thinking about how valuable this thread has been to me and I would like to "weigh in" and say it's a new day. I am interested in the idea of a "group" rather than a thread. I wonder what that would look like?
  • shelleygold
    Hi everyone,
    Day 3 of a Fast and I am wondering if my poor body understands how I am trying to detox and give it an opportunity to cleanse and at the same time become smaller and fitter. I have been reading about the benefits of Ketosis and the advantages of creating an environment for my body to burn fat more quickly. I would like to know if any of you have embraced on this type of approach? I am concerned that I am rushing a complex process and looking for short cuts. I cannot wait to hear your views.
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Hi Shel,
    My husband has had success with weight loss using "ketosis". me, not so much. I tend to faint, for whatever reason. a state of ketosis requires an ultra strict "diet" to achieve and maintain, and it's my personal opinion that it is not a healthy long-term regime. (but i only have about 20 pounds of fat to burn through)
    having said that, it's a heck of a lot healthier than the crap I've been shoving in my face lately, so there you go!
    i've been trying to feed my soul with food. and, once again, proven to myself it does not work. it never does, so why do i keep trying? sorry for being a downer, but 2016 blows.
    2017 will be so much better ~Myra

ps: if you form a group, i'd love to join.
  • shelleygold
    Dear Myra,
    So wonderful to her from you. I think Ketosis for some of us might be too dramatic. I am more and more convinced that the underlying currents which impact our eating behaviours relate to old established patterns born from deep wounds and traumas. So, let's be gentle with ourselves and empathic. We are good people who are trying to managing (juggle) a number of variables at the same time. If we "drop" the weight ball from time to time..so be it. We just dust ourselves off and get back up and try our best. You are a delightful, insightful person who deserves to be respected and loved for who you are and not what you weigh. Please remember that.
    Your friend and fellow juggler.
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Hello group. Just checking in. Been eating "cleaner" since the start of the new year, but i have a way to go. Baby steps. Hope everyone is keeping the good fight. ~Myra
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    I have SAD in the winter, that makes it very hard not to gain weight. Exercise is the key for me, it keeps the winter blues controlled to some extent, and also helps me stay focused on eating healthily.