Fermented Foods

I've heard that fermented foods are really good for your gut but other than sour kraut I don't know what else to try. I like sour kraut but there are surely other foods that would be good as well. ??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I know nothing about fermented foods and gut health, but I enjoy kimchi a lot. Kombucha is something that some people like -- I hate it, but it might be worth a try if you want to try some more fermented foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Beer, bread, wine, cheese, yogurt, kefir, sour cream, chocolate, tofu, pickled cucumber, pickled fish, fish sauce, soy sauce, kimchi.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    I know nothing about fermented foods and gut health, but I enjoy kimchi a lot. Kombucha is something that some people like -- I hate it, but it might be worth a try if you want to try some more fermented foods.

Kombucha tastes like vinegar to me. I'd rather just take a shot of apple cider and be done with it.
  • janejellyroll
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Kombucha tastes like vinegar to me. I'd rather just take a shot of apple cider and be done with it.

Yeah, I've tried a few different kinds and most made me gag. One was okay, but not something that I would pay $3.50 a bottle for.
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    I love kombucha! Synergy's Cosmic Cranberry and Trilogy flavors are my favorite. I don't think they're vinegar-y at all. They're slightly acidic, but the more you drink it, the less you start to notice it.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Yes I heard and read about this too, Like @janejellyroll mentioned Kimichi which is a fermented Korean cabbage, is really good there's also radish kimchi and cucumber Kimchi which is really good as well and good for you as long as it not too salty
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    pineapple rinds :wink:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Kimchi is divine. And easy to make, it's just the waiting that gets you.

I'm currently trying some kefir grains that I got recently, and have made my own 'country' wine (no added yeasts) that so far I am to terrified to try. Sourdough breads are fantastic too.

Sandor Ellis Katz book 'wild fermentation' or his website of the same name is a good source. He has AIDS, and uses fermented foods to help heal himself. The theory is that fermented foods are 'pre-digested' or 'cooked' and so easier for the stomach to absorb nutrients. This has some sort in Chinese medicine too, where foods are usually preferred warm than cold( ie raw)

Easiest foods to start with are yogurt, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    I've never tried kimchi. Can you buy it in the store? Would it be better to go to a Korean restaurant to try it?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    SweetP27 wrote: »
    I've never tried kimchi. Can you buy it in the store? Would it be better to go to a Korean restaurant to try it?

My local Walmarts carry King's brand. I used to eat it every morning with scrambled eggs. A word of advice: heed the warning on the jar and open it over the sink. Those gasses are going to make the liquid spew a bit.
  • janejellyroll

I have seen it at Asian markets, Whole Foods, and the Farmer's Market. I haven't been to a Korean restaurant, so I'm not sure if they will have it there or not (I assume so, just not sure).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

I have seen it at Asian markets, Whole Foods, and the Farmer's Market. I haven't been to a Korean restaurant, so I'm not sure if they will have it there or not (I assume so, just not sure).

If you go to a Korean restaurant and they don't have Kimchi, leave. It's probably a front for the mafia. Seriously, it's often given as a "free" side item with everything.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    my fav is beer. of all fermented things...beer.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Kimchi is so easy, and so good!

I just put up a big batch of escabeche - jalapenos, carrots, onions and garlic. A lot of mexican restaurants serve it as a relish/side with platters, and I bought a jar from the hippies at the farmers market and my kids loved it, so I figured I'd try it myself. So far, so good - its bubbling away on my kitchen shelf!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I love fermented foods. Dill pickles, kimchi, sourdough, beer, sauerkraut. Yum! I have heard eating them too much is linked to cancer though.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    kimchi can be a tricky proposition for a fermentation newbie. First of all can/do you eat fish or shellfish? Most all kimchi has some sort of seafood in there, often dried shrimp. It's also often spicy in addition to having the fermented flavor.

So if you cannot have seafood or shellfish, be very careful around any Korean food, including the fermented items. Not all of them, but a lot of them will have seafood in there somewhere.

If you don't like spicy foods, but you're interested in kimchi, try baek kimchi (translated to white kimchi). It's a non-spicy version and usually contains no seafood products. Most any korean grocery store should have it.
  • janejellyroll
    edited October 2016
    I love fermented foods. Dill pickles, kimchi, sourdough, beer, sauerkraut. Yum! I have heard eating them too much is linked to cancer though.

I believe you are thinking of pickled foods, not fermented foods. I am not aware of any evidence linking cancer to consumption of fermented foods. There is a link between consumption of pickled foods and cancer.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member

If you go to a Korean restaurant and they don't have Kimchi, leave. It's probably a front for the mafia. Seriously, it's often given as a "free" side item with everything.

It's called banchan, which is a selection of side dishes that accompany any Korean meal. Probably one of my favorite features of Korean food.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banchan

So if you eat at a Korean restaurant and they don't have banchan, then well, it's likely not really Korean food.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member

I believe you are thinking of pickled foods, not fermented foods. I am not aware of any evidence linking cancer to consumption of fermented foods. There is a link between consumption of pickled foods and cancer.

There's a link between everything and cancer, depending on who you talk to.