Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Well if what you are saying is you watched a tv show and on the basis of what that tv show said you decided to avoid aspartame all I can do is kind of <shrug>. Without an actual study to look at I can't really comment on a television show that you watched.
  • dawnjordanmusil
    dawnjordanmusil Posts: 17 Member
    Why even risk it? After all, it still is a possible carcinogen. I stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I only eat the real stuff.

Exactly my feelings. Stay away from the synthetic crap.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    A well-documented carcinogen is the sun. Kind of hard to avoid that.

tumblr_m7qc9gzrat1r2ky9fo2_1280__1_.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Why even risk it? After all, it still is a possible carcinogen. I stay away from all artificial sweeteners. I only eat the real stuff.

Exactly my feelings. Stay away from the synthetic crap.
    Then you'd have to stay away from practically every food or drink on the market because there's "synthetic" crap in just about everything. Even bottled water has "synthetic" crap in it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Rottified wrote: »
    jondspen wrote: »
    I know for a fact that aspartame is bad. I was drinking diet cokes/pepsi (~ 1 ltr a day or so) and as soon as I had some, not long after would get aching in back of my knees and down in my calves. Stopped the diet sodas...and it went away completely after a couple weeks. Started back after a month or two off it, and that day, maybe an hour later, started getting legs aches again.

You can say what you want about the science...but obviously there are some people that have adverse reactions to it (1). And FYI....there are plenty of drugs approved by the FDA with sound research behind them that were later found to be bad for humans (2).

(1) Ciappuccini R, et al. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2010;28(63):S131-133

(2) http://prescriptiondrugs.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=005528

Some Charcoal brickets can leave me in near black out adominal pain, Diarrhea, vomiting, hands itching and burning, all while pouring sweat. But everyone else is fine. Clearly they should be banned!

Veggies, fruits and fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes, spices, lactose, whole wheat and lots of stuff do nasty nasty things to my gi system. Must ban those too

Ban all the foods!

Oh red meat and pork and garlic too!

So you say you want a revolution?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I know for a fact that aspartame is bad. I was drinking diet cokes/pepsi (~ 1 ltr a day or so) and as soon as I had some, not long after would get aching in back of my knees and down in my calves. Stopped the diet sodas...and it went away completely after a couple weeks. Started back after a month or two off it, and that day, maybe an hour later, started getting legs aches again.

You can say what you want about the science...but obviously there are some people that have adverse reactions to it (1). And FYI....there are plenty of drugs approved by the FDA with sound research behind them that were later found to be bad for humans (2).

(1) Ciappuccini R, et al. Aspartame-induced fibromyalgia, an unusual but curable cause of chronic pain. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2010;28(63):S131-133

Some Charcoal brickets can leave me in near black out adominal pain, Diarrhea, vomiting, hands itching and burning, all while pouring sweat. But everyone else is fine. Clearly they should be banned!

Veggies, fruits and fiber, nuts, seeds, legumes, spices, lactose, whole wheat and lots of stuff do nasty nasty things to my gi system. Must ban those too

Ban all the foods!

Well, you know. we all wanna change the world.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Ban all the foods!

Well, you know. we all wanna change the world.

You tell me that it's evolution
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Soy and lactose for me. Ban, ban, ban!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A well-documented carcinogen is the sun. Kind of hard to avoid that.

tumblr_m7qc9gzrat1r2ky9fo2_1280__1_.jpg

Some people try to.

a6.jpg
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I've been drinking diet soda since fresca first arrived on the market and I'm still alive.
    n=1, of course.
  • sashybih
    sashybih Posts: 5 Member
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

There are numerous studies that clearly talk about this well-researched effect.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....
  • queenliz99
    sashybih wrote: »
    Overall, I agree with the original explanation of very little to no proof that aspartame causes cancer. There are far worse things around us that are making people sick.

That is not my worry about it. What I think this article is missing is a big point that aspartame affects insulin levels as much as sugar, and causes people to easily overeat and consume way more than needed. In other words, it is a perfect tool to help you gain weigth.

Of course, I'm not talking here about occasional can of Diet Coke here and there, but consumption of 2-3 cans per day or more.

You can even look around yourself and see connection between overconsumption and Diet drinks. I've seen people eating 2000+ calories meal and feeling being on diet just by the fact that Diet Coke is next to them.....

Link to these studies.
  • queenliz99
    TR0berts wrote: »
    62920142008105.jpg

That is more to the point and funnier!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Strange. I drink 6-10 cans per day, and I've been having no issues following an extremely strict diet that most people bail on within a few days. I guess my 6-10 must put me over some kind of dose dependant threshold, where the effects reverse.

Wait, that's it! A case of Diet Sunkist and a case of Diet Root Beer in every fridge! Everyone will be able to easily eat less than 1000 kcals per day! By god, we've just solved the obesity epidemic.
  • queenliz99

Strange. I drink 6-10 cans per day, and I've been having no issues following an extremely strict diet that most people bail on within a few days. I guess my 6-10 must put me over some kind of dose dependant threshold, where the effects reverse.

Wait, that's it! A case of Diet Sunkist and a case of Diet Root Beer in every fridge! Everyone will be able to easily eat less than 1000 kcals per day! By god, we've just solved the obesity epidemic.

Wait! You're on to something!
  • sashybih
    sashybih Posts: 5 Member

There are studies have been conducted with people not only animals. Here is just a sample…

1. The artificial sweetener sucralose (Splenda®) is capable of changing the body's insulin response, researchers at Washington University School of Medicine reported in the journal Diabetes Care. This is human study.

2. Sucralose Affects Glycemic and Hormonal Responses to an Oral Glucose Load – this is also human study. The result talks clearly about 20%-ish increase in insulin.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2013/04/30/dc12-2221

“Compared with the control condition, a 20 ± 8% greater incremental increase in insulin area under the curve (AUC) (P < 0.03), 3) a 22 ± 7% greater peak insulin secretion rate (P < 0.02)”

3. Linking obesity with artificial sweeteners - Diet Soda Intake and Risk of Incident Metabolic Syndrome (multi-ethnic, multi-year, large sample study)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

“At least daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36% greater relative risk of incident metabolic syndrome and a 67% greater relative risk of incident type 2 diabetes compared with nonconsumption (HR 1.36 [95% CI 1.11–1.66] for metabolic syndrome and 1.67 [1.27–2.20] for type 2 diabetes).”

“Of metabolic syndrome components, only high waist circumference (men ≥102 cm and women ≥88 cm) and high fasting glucose (≥100 mg/dl) were prospectively associated with diet soda consumption.”

4. Journal of American Geriatrics Society. Diet Soda Intake Is Associated with Long-Term Increases in Waist Circumference in a Biethnic Cohort of Older Adults: The San Antonio Longitudinal Study of aging

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgs.13376/abstract;jsessionid=5D502840AFD0D131873023D1102A6C7E.f01t02

5. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%.

There is lot of it….Many popular magazines were writing about it in a more straight talk including TIME magazine etc.

It is pretty clear that someone’s apetite increases with (over)consumption of diet drinks. Again, not small consumption here and there. Not talking about 1 can in few days.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule with people with high metabolism, certain genetic predispositions, personality profiles etc. But, these people are lucky one and certainly do not represent majority of mortals like us.