Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Duane2013 wrote: »
    here's my flu shot: avocado, blueberry, broccoli, vitamins, banana, etc every day. I don't want the globalists thought serum in my body. 2+2=5 y'all!

BWHAHAHAHA!

My workplace arranges for us to get free flu shots once a year. I get mine every year going on 5 years, and have neither had the flu, nor a bad reaction. Haven't even had a cold!

The two women who think vaccines have icky things in them who didn't get their shots have either had pneumonia or the flu numerous times.

Go figure.

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    I've had the flu shot twice for insurance purposes, but It's been years since I had one. I felt bad for a few days after getting it both times. I can't say I know much about the science behind it, but I do think the whole concept is strange. I'm not against it though, I just don't get it because i felt bad twice after getting it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I used to only get them if they were doing it free at work. Then I got the flu and was down hard for a week, and took a good month the feel human again. Now I get them every year. I did get the flu 2 years ago, even though I had the shot, but I recovered much more quickly than the previous time I had the flu. The 3 anti-flu shot people at work that gave it to me all ended up with pneumonia, so in my completely anecdotal experience, it was still worthwhile to get the shot.
    Yeah, I didn't mention this but something similar happened in my work community about three years ago. Three people got pneumonia and one died. The other two are pushing hard for flu shots now.

?? I would think they'd be pushing for the pneumonia shot.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have asthma so I get it.

To be fair, I grew up in France, where they don't vaccinate for chickenpox and even less the flu, and I've never had the flu. But my kids haven't got it either so I don't know if the vaccines work or not but it really doesn't cost anything to get it IMO... so why not? I've never had any reaction to it, just a sore arm for a couple days.

Full disclosure though, after this year I will probably skip it for the kids because I'm not sure it's not worth the insane drama I went through (we were expecting the flu mist but they are not making it anymore... so they had to get a shot. Very unhappy children. It took 5 people to hold my daughter).

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    What is the medium the jab is cultured on? mostly egg white. How many people react to egg white?

Many of this kind of intervention use mercury as a preservative? Can't they find anything better? Possibly paraben used in food and medications and household cleaners, as a preservative but it can also be an irritant in many.

If instead of using chrome door handles we changed to copper or other metals with antibacterial properties this could help so many people by getting rid of bacteria before it affects the majority.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Nop. Not a thing they push where I live, but I haven't had a real flu since I was a child. If I worked with kids or with crowds of strangers I would have considered paying for it, as it stands I don't feel I need it.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I'm not against them. That being said, since we don't work in a high risk environment, our kids aren't in daycare, and we homeschool, I just don't see the point. That's not to say I would never get it, but we are pretty low exposure compared to others.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm a health care worker so I get one every year to protect myself and my patients. The hospital sets up a day every year and everyone faces the "firing squad." Unfortunately this year they decided to do the flu shots at the "health fair" where they do out Insurance screening. While I'm not scared of needles (just don't like them) or doctors, I do have white coat hypertension (runs avg 110/70 at work, at doctors office 149/85 last visit) so walking in and seeing that "surprise" your getting flu shots spiked my BP, fortunately I was able to convince them to let me get my shot then let me wait for my BP to come down, otherwise I would be paying WAY more in health ins this year.

So far I have been fortunate enough to never get the flu, but given the inconsistency of the ER techs following protocol and masking potential flu patients, I would get one even if it wasn't mandatory. I cant tell how many times I have returned a patient to the ER to be told BTW that patient has the flu (thanks for telling me now). I have started masking almost everyone who could possibly have the flu, but every now and then there is a "surprise".
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I used to only get them if they were doing it free at work. Then I got the flu and was down hard for a week, and took a good month the feel human again. Now I get them every year. I did get the flu 2 years ago, even though I had the shot, but I recovered much more quickly than the previous time I had the flu. The 3 anti-flu shot people at work that gave it to me all ended up with pneumonia, so in my completely anecdotal experience, it was still worthwhile to get the shot.
    Yeah, I didn't mention this but something similar happened in my work community about three years ago. Three people got pneumonia and one died. The other two are pushing hard for flu shots now.

?? I would think they'd be pushing for the pneumonia shot.

True, but pneumonia is sometimes a secondary infection after the flu.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    wanzik wrote: »
    well for... of course. why put your life in any kind of sickness if you do not have to. no brainer really. I think the people that are against are just afraid of needles.

I administer shots to my wife and myself. That blows your theory. :wink:

? Are you saying that you're against them but administer them to yourself and your wife anyway? Not sure how your comment relates to the one you quoted. Or are you saying you are afraid of needles but take the shot anyway, which still wasn't want the quote says? Sorry, just trying to get some clarification.

I'm kind of neutral on them. I have nothing against getting them but am often too lazy to get one. I'll be getting one this year for sure though, as will my husband. I've had one person in the health industry tell me they're pointless, but hey, if it's pointless, then it also doesn't matter if you do or don't get the shot lol. So I guess I'm more for them than against. If they help even some people, I don't really think they'd be pointless.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I'm not against them. That being said, since we don't work in a high risk environment, our kids aren't in daycare, and we homeschool, I just don't see the point. That's not to say I would never get it, but we are pretty low exposure compared to others.

This is my family as well. We have never gotten flu shots. We very rarely get sick. Our exposure is low.
    I think the flu shot makes sense for some people and environments and less for others.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    wanzik wrote: »
    well for... of course. why put your life in any kind of sickness if you do not have to. no brainer really. I think the people that are against are just afraid of needles.

I administer shots to my wife and myself. That blows your theory. :wink:

? Are you saying that you're against them but administer them to yourself and your wife anyway? Not sure how your comment relates to the one you quoted. Or are you saying you are afraid of needles but take the shot anyway, which still wasn't want the quote says? Sorry, just trying to get some clarification.

I'm kind of neutral on them. I have nothing against getting them but am often too lazy to get one. I'll be getting one this year for sure though, as will my husband. I've had one person in the health industry tell me they're pointless, but hey, if it's pointless, then it also doesn't matter if you do or don't get the shot lol. So I guess I'm more for them than against. If they help even some people, I don't really think they'd be pointless.

I don't administer flu shots... there are other things injected with needles. The poster I quoted claimed people against flu shots must just be afraid of needles. I proved that untrue, at least in my case.
  • Luckadea
    Luckadea Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2016
    I never get the flu shot, every year I've gotten the flu shot I've gotten terribly sick. Ever since I stopped getting them, I've been healthy all winter.... going on 5 years now.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    It's very simple. The flu (Influenza) is caused by a virus. No amount of working out, or eating this or that is going to protect you from a virus. Unless you are a newborn, everyone has had the flu before. They might not know it, they might have mistaken it for a bad cold, but like the common cold, no one is immune from it, so, in my opinion, it only makes sense to get the flu shot. Why take a chance on getting sick if you can avoid it? JMO.

I disagree, if you survive a strain of something severe; it's possible to build an immunity to it, less severe strains & to other illnesses also! A perfect example is the Bubonic Plague, those that survived it passed along an immunity to AIDS; to their decedents via Delta 32!

But....you have to take into account virus mutation, the reason that flu vaccines have to evolve to match the potential strain. That's interesting about the Bubonic Plague, fortunately it's not real prevalent any more as there is no vaccine for that. If we did have an large outbreak it would be awful.
This discussion has been closed.