Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Replies

• glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I'm asthmatic and it was previously offered to me on the NHS before cutbacks but now I am required to have it to protect my parents, whom I care for, as they're both very ill. One is a dialysis patient and the other has terminal cancer with lung mets. If it were just me, I can't really say I'd be bothered either way as I have rarely gotten flu, chest infections are more my bag, but to protect people who can't protect themselves? If you can then you should.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2016
    I'll get them when I'm in my 60s but at 26 I'll just bite the bullet and spend a week feeling like death because i caught the flu. If it was free then I'd get it now.
  • GetFitKTB
    GetFitKTB Posts: 288 Member
    GetFitKTB wrote: »
    It's very simple. The flu (Influenza) is caused by a virus. No amount of working out, or eating this or that is going to protect you from a virus. Unless you are a newborn, everyone has had the flu before. They might not know it, they might have mistaken it for a bad cold, but like the common cold, no one is immune from it, so, in my opinion, it only makes sense to get the flu shot. Why take a chance on getting sick if you can avoid it? JMO.

I disagree, if you survive a strain of something severe; it's possible to build an immunity to it, less severe strains & to other illnesses also! A perfect example is the Bubonic Plague, those that survived it passed along an immunity to AIDS; to their decedents via Delta 32!

What's any of that got to do with the flu? We're not talking about the Plague or AIDS, but influenza - and one thing to keep in mind is the influenza virus mutates every year which is why you need a shot every year - no 5 year shots - because each year the virus is different, so you don't build up immunity to it.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    If the flu vaccine is so good for humanity, why don't they make it mandatory and free for all?

• Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Everyone in my office gets one annually through our employer's health center--we're not healthcare workers, but getting annual flu vaccinations has really cut down on sick time in our office. I can't remember the last time I had the flu.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Heard of them but never thought of getting one.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    If you are opposed to the flu shot and get sick Olive Leaf Extract is used globally to treat severe symptoms. I am fifty, and never get the flu shot. That said, I am relatively healthy and haven't had the flu in over 7 years. The Olive Leaf Extract helps to boost immune, and in 50 years I can count on one hand the amount of times the flu has taken me down - so not worth the jab!

I'm 62 and can count on 3 fingers the number of times I've been taken down by the flu, the last being 17 or 18 years ago, (knock on wood), but I know that if there had been something I could have done to prevent it (woo science not included) the times I did get it I would have happily gotten the shot. I don't like feeling like I've been run over by a semi truck. And, if you have health insurance, the shot is free under their preventative maintenance program, right along with mammograms, colonoscopies and physical exams. All that being said, I've only gotten the vaccine once, but will probably get it next week.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I've never had the flu. The only year I got a flu shot I got 5 sinus infections. Do I think those things are related? Not necessarily-but for me, I'll skip it.
  • Duane2013
    Duane2013 Posts: 35 Member
    Who exactly y'all is "they". Ah yes, the Globalists. "They" are not going to make it free and mandatory because "They" are counting on a certain number of us succumbing to diseases. Were a pain in their behind. In fact, They'd like to see a lot more of us gone - easier to manage the world that way.
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    I simply don't get the flu shot as I seem to be flu-immune. I can't remember the last time I had the full blown flu..
    Also, it seems they merely create the flu shot from a certain strain that they believe will hit during the time. Am I anti vaccine? No, but I won't roll up my sleeve for a guessing game.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Chilli7777 wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me enough to have it. Im not anti vax, but I won't go near the flu shot.

why?
This discussion has been closed.